My quest of 3D blurays begins

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Guys 3D very much alive well in projector land   recently had a few folk over and thought to show them what 3D can look like as pretty stoked   hoping to convince @evil c to come

As a die hard 3D fan, seeing so many Marvel and Disney 3D blurays having "2 for $20" plus 20% off sale in JB during the weekend, I can't help but put 18 of them in my shopping cart, even though I alre

There is a dispute over 3d vs 2d versions in India between cinema owners and the distributors . Maybe a stroke of luck this occurred     Wonder Woman 1984 (Blu-ray 3D & Blu-ray) (2-Disc)

8 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

Germany? Which German store is selling it? That is the UK one isn't it?

Zappi I think it was and the last time I checked it said sold out. 

1 hour ago, Satanica said:

Zappi I think it was and the last time I checked it said sold out. 

Zappi?

I do try keeping track of German stores that bother shipping here as I'm looking for stuff too and I've never heard of it.  And no luck googling it either.

Heres another one [ coincidentally named Parasite like the other Korean one mentioned elsewhere 🤷‍♂️] that has been completely remastered from the original DCI negative ; and directed by Charles Dance 👌

https://www.amazon.com.au/Parasite-3-D-Special-Edition-Blu-ray/dp/B07VP784TB/ref=sr_1_83?dchild=1&keywords=3d+blu+ray+movies&qid=1590847767&refinements=p_n_feature_three_browse-bin%3A5256351051&rnid=5256342051&s=movies-and-tv&sr=1-83

Good to see some decent prices from amazon aus with the current sale.

• Like 1

It is really a bad time for importing discs. Many oversea shops have stop shipping to Australia. Even Amazon USA has block us one more time. Orders took up to 7 weeks to arrive from UK . Still waiting for many. Wonder when we will get back to normal. 

3D4.jpg

3D3.jpg

3D1.jpg

3D2.jpg

3ds.jpg

On 27/05/2020 at 8:48 PM, Mobe1969 said:

Zappi?

I do try keeping track of German stores that bother shipping here as I'm looking for stuff too and I've never heard of it.  And no luck googling it either.

I bet he means Zavvi. Better use their .au site to pay in AUD. They all ship from UK anyway. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

5 weeks and over seems to be the norm for shipping from UK these days. Stardog and Onwards are the 2 latest 3D releases. Trolls World Tour is next and so far no further 3D announcement after. 

o1.jpg

3d2.jpg

3d1.jpg

• Like 1

I have a decent 3D media collection and that was one of the reasons I chose the Panasonic EX780 for my last TV purchase. Soon to be getting a projector too, so I’m looking forward to seeing 3D movies bigger than 75”.

I watched Kong Skull Island last night and loved it. I’ve seen it before but had forgotten most details. It has a great cast and pretty good story for this type of movie. They usually rely on the visual effects. First time watching it in 3D I think and it was pretty good use of the technology. 4 or 5 3D wow moments and good overall.

I don’t watch 3D movies often because it is a bit more “work” with the need for glasses and the restricted brightness, but I usually enjoy it when I do.

I bought a few movies from the JB sale last night and changed my cart several times and was spewing I didn’t have Avengers: Infinity War in there when I checked out. I considered buying it afterwards, but the shipping options were whack.

After seeing this thread, I might start looking further afield for some titles I’ve missed or aren’t available locally.

• Like 1

On 27/05/2020 at 8:18 PM, Mobe1969 said:

Zappi?

On 03/06/2020 at 4:43 PM, PKK said:

I bet he means Zavvi. Better use their .au site to pay in AUD. They all ship from UK anyway. 

Whoops yes ZAVVI.

https://www.zavvi.com.au/blu-ray/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-3d/12414251.html?utm_source=ecrm-order-confirmation&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ecrm-order-confirmation&affil=thgemail&ecrmcid=b9oeOPK7VGEy3xRBaqbrAljx42M6XmR8&shae=7bCYLufmIVApSCkpsbq8BSffnLaW2NHgEu%2BHgkpuipQ%3D&sendTime=1578369140

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/07/2020 at 10:20 AM, Esoterica said:

I have a decent 3D media collection and that was one of the reasons I chose the Panasonic EX780 for my last TV purchase. Soon to be getting a projector too, so I’m looking forward to seeing 3D movies bigger than 75”.

Glad to see 3D lovers around. I think nothing can best the last generation of LG 4K Oled with passive glasses. It is bright, no cross talk and 3D motions is solid. Not to mention those glasses are cheap, light and everywhere. 

For projectors although I already own a few Benqs and JVC but none can give 3D justice. Benqs has smooth motion but lacking brightness behind glasses. JVC has great PQ but 3D motion gives me headache.  So I recently bought a high lumen Optoma Laser ZH406 to fill the gap. As a business class PJ the price is reasonably low. It is perfect for 3D , youtube and any day time viewing as expected. But it is not for everyone and every situation as a high brightness DLP will inevitably brings up rainbows.    

Edited by PKK
16 hours ago, PKK said:

JVC has great PQ but 3D motion gives me headache.

I found the same until I turned Clear Motion Drive (CMD) at least to Low.

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/08/2020 at 12:57 PM, Satanica said:

I found the same until I turned Clear Motion Drive (CMD) at least to Low.

I believe I have tried all options with JVC and some combination does improve 3D a bit but it just can't compete with the smooth and solid 3D motion of the Optoma Laser. The difference is night and day I am afraid.  

Just received my last order of Trolls World Tour 3D along with others and I am afraid it could be a long while before seeing another 3D release if there is any coming. 

trolls.jpg

flight.jpg

Dredd isn't a bad 3D film.  Although I was a fan of the comic, so a half decent movie adaptation may make me slightly biased.

2 hours ago, Monk said:

Dredd isn't a bad 3D film.  Although I was a fan of the comic, so a half decent movie adaptation may make me slightly biased.

Dredd? Neither a bad movie, bad 3d, nor bad comic book movie! I'm easy going so I can enjoy the comics and 5he Stallone Dredd. But when I saw the Urban Dredd, I was thinking to myself all thru the movie "oh gee this nails it!"

• Like 1

I can watch the Stallone Dredd, because at least it has that 80s (or is it 90s?) action movie, bad but good style, along with films like Total Recall, Demolition Man etc. but the Dredd with Urban is one of the worst movies I’ve seen. Just couldn’t stand it on any level.

1 hour ago, Esoterica said:

I can watch the Stallone Dredd, because at least it has that 80s (or is it 90s?) action movie, bad but good style, along with films like Total Recall, Demolition Man etc. but the Dredd with Urban is one of the worst movies I’ve seen. Just couldn’t stand it on any level.

The only things Stallone's Dredd got right was the look of Hammerstein, if maybe slightly out of timeline, and Mean Machine.  That film shat on the comic book and what Dredd was about so badly it wasn't funny.

Urban's Dredd at least tried to capture what the vibe of what the comic was about.  It's not meant to be a feel good movie.  The music was good.  The action was good.  It was gritty.  It was so much better than Stallone.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Happy to see 3D is not totally dead in Australia just yet. Trolls World Tour 3D is coming in December. Although I have bought it months ago from UK, I might have to show my support and buy the local one again when the price is right.  

Airmail from HK is finally back after months of suspension so my order can be resumed. Bought a pile of Chinese movies plus animation and some hard to find titles there like "Young and Prodigious TS Spivet" and "The Flying Machine". 

3D3.jpg

3D4.jpg

3D5.jpg

3D6.jpg

• Like 1

I have bought some hard to find titles from Germany like "Street Dance 3D", which I believe was first released in Red and Blue 3D format before. 

"Oops Noah is Gone" is an interesting movie with many names. It is also known as " All Creatures Great and Small" and "Two by Two" in different countries.

Found the local release of "Street Dance 2 3D" to complete the series.

3D1.jpg

3D2.jpg

3D7.jpg

• Like 1

Anyone seen Immortals? I watched the local release on the weekend, and hoo boy, talk about a brutal carnage fest with a fantastic sound mix and incredible low end activity. And the 3D was incredible. If you have Crowsons this is a reference title.

The carnage is off the charts nuts. The gods fighting is just brutal. And the human stuff too. I haven't cringed and let out audibles in a movie this much ever. Very enjoyable. The first time I saw it I recall liking it (I had it in a 3 pack of two other films from the UK - and I didn't realize the UK version is HEAVILY censored). But now, with the projector, great sound, and the uncut version, just WOW!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Have to dig up the "Immortals" somewhere from home as I should have bought it since new but never watched it once. A glimpse of trailer looks interesting with that heavy style of "300".    

Bought some more 3Ds from local and oversea. Happy to find the rare local "Puss in Boots" after buying the German version from Germany but received a random disc instead. 

Should have got a couple more from Amazon UK but sadly most were slipped off from the loosely packed cardboard package during transit and lost. Just one left inside an Auspost plastic bag saying the content is missing. Not a fan of Amazon's environmental friendly package with no wrapping or tapes. Just flaps on both sides which could be problematic if not packed tight enough and easy to theft and lost. 

3D1.jpg

3D3.jpg

3D4.jpg

• Like 1
14 hours ago, PKK said:

Have to dig up the "Immortals" somewhere from home as I should have bought it since new but never watched it once. A glimpse of trailer looks interesting with that heavy style of "300".    

Bought some more 3Ds from local and oversea. Happy to find the rare local "Puss in Boots" after buying the German version from Germany but received a random disc instead. 

Should have got a couple more from Amazon UK but sadly most were slipped off from the loosely packed cardboard package during transit and lost. Just one left inside an Auspost plastic bag saying the content is missing. Not a fan of Amazon's environmental friendly package with no wrapping or tapes. Just flaps on both sides which could be problematic if not packed tight enough and easy to theft and lost. 

3D1.jpg

3D3.jpg

3D4.jpg

Just remember the UK Immortals is pretty badly cut. Local one is fine. Pretty cheap at CEX, and probably on ebay too. I got it cex.

On 11/11/2019 at 10:45 AM, PKK said:

As a die hard 3D fan, seeing so many Marvel and Disney 3D blurays having "2 for $20" plus 20% off sale in JB during the weekend, I can't help but put 18 of them in my shopping cart, even though I already have them all when first released, just there to show my last respect and little support of the dying format.

The end of 3D was expected for years but somehow we got one or two new releases in between to satisfy fans needs so there is still a little hope for the format to live on. But all of a sudden the end is finally upon us. There is no more 3D pre-order after "Secret Life of Pets 2" and one of my local JB which still has a dedicated 3D section last time I visit is now gone, very sad indeed. 

Then here comes my JB drama. When I tried to check out the 18 discs in my shopping cart, I was told that none is available for "Click and Collect". Fair enough. I then chose "Delivery" but the single Antman is not available for "Delivery" either. So my only option is to go out and hunt them down from stores. 

Went to shop "A", found 6 from my list. Should be $60 (all 2 for $20) + 20% off = $48, simple math. After numerous scans and check, the man at the desk confirm all discs are in the 2 for $20 sale, but the cashier kept saying $53. He has no clue and call for the manager. The manager came up with the stupid excuse that I can't double dip on discount. He probably means that I can't have 2 for $20 and 20% off at the same time. I am speechless. After we were stuck there for more than 10 minutes, the staff made a smart move to scan them 2 by 2 and it magically works! I paid $16 three times so adds up to a total of $48. Case closed.  

Went to shop "B", found 8 from my list. Should be $80 (all 2 for $20) + 20% off = $64. Again after numerous scans and check, the cashier kept saying $67. She called for the manager's help, another 10 minutes gone, the manager then work his magic and came up with a bill of $60. I told him the correct amount should be $64 but obviously he don't want to fight with the machine anymore so I am happy to accept the bonus.

Went to shop "C" in the city, Very lucky to find the remaining 4. Should be $40 (all 2 for $20) + 20% off = $32. Once again the cashier said $37. I remind him that they are all "2 for $20", he told me I am now getting a better discount than "2 for $20". I gave up arguing and paid $37. Mission accomplished.

I am afraid I will have to import any future 3D releases from now on as only Europe is still making them. But too bad our weak dollar and all the restrictions from amazon made them even harder to get. Suddenly all the memory of hunting down the dying HDDVD from the good old days a decade ago is back!

3Ds.jpg

This issue with JB is ongoing. Their software is designed to work out the most expensive version of the discount.

One example is the buy two get one free. Fine if you have three discs and their all the same price, but if you have any more than 3, then it will automatically choose the cheapest ones as the "get one free" discs. You just have to work for it. You buy three at a time and pay for them - matching the ones that are the same price.

And for more complex issues (like the one you had), yes, you have to buy them two at a time. They don't make their money by being nice, so remember to work at it a bit...

Me, I'm not really a 3D fan, as so many of the recent plethora of films are no better than the ones from the 80's (Parasite, Jaws 3, Friday 13th part 3). I loved Cameron's reboot of the format with Avatar, it was pretty damn good and with very few cheap effects. But I found so many of the others just weren't worth it (the later Avenger ones an exception) in the cinema and I didn't bother with them on disc.

Are you still looking for any?

• Like 1

I believe I have already bought all readily available local 3D releases out there, except any horror movie which is not my thing. Now I am mostly moving on to those import only 3Ds and rare ones. Looks like there is no more new announcement after "Trolls World Tour". I still enjoy watching movies in 3D and believe the LG Passive 3D OLED and Optoma Laser projector gives me the best 3D experience on both worlds. 

Dug up the "Immortals" and found alongside a couple of interesting titles. Many have beautiful 3D lenticular covers which is already a thing of the past. Too bad the beauty can't be shown on screen. Really missing the golden age of strong Aussie dollars and hunting for imports with better cover arts and specs. 

3D5.jpg

3D6.jpg

3D7.jpg

• Like 1
15 hours ago, PKK said:

I believe I have already bought all readily available local 3D releases out there, except any horror movie which is not my thing. Now I am mostly moving on to those import only 3Ds and rare ones. Looks like there is no more new announcement after "Trolls World Tour". I still enjoy watching movies in 3D and believe the LG Passive 3D OLED and Optoma Laser projector gives me the best 3D experience on both worlds. 

Dug up the "Immortals" and found alongside a couple of interesting titles. Many have beautiful 3D lenticular covers which is already a thing of the past. Too bad the beauty can't be shown on screen. Really missing the golden age of strong Aussie dollars and hunting for imports with better cover arts and specs. 

3D5.jpg

3D6.jpg

3D7.jpg

Nice! So the uncut Immortals too I watched John Carter on the weekend actually. Such a fun movie.

I don't have a couple of those, mainly as I wasn't wanting to see them.

The ASM movies are very good in 3D too.

I'm one of the few that like the Green Lantern movie too!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Weird that a search for '3D' doesn't return any results. Maybe because the d was lower case? 

Anyway, I Watched Doctor Strange 3D last night on the big screen and it was awesome! Some epic 3D moments and some gorgeous visual effects. I was actually going to watch in 2D, but the disc is 3D only, so I had to find my glasses but am glad.

I really don't get 3D being out of fashion. It makes watching many movies that much more of an event.

• 4 weeks later...

Received my last order just in time for Christmas. Something juicy for the holiday.

BTW I have triple bad lucks with orders from Amazon UK through Amazon AU lately. First order had 4 blurays slipped out from the cardboard sleeve and only 1 received. Second order was partially received and the one I want most (order again from first order but now sold out) never arrived. Third order received in a damaged carton with big opening on both sides. Lucky everything was still intact but unlucky the electronic device I bought spits out smoke with burning smell after 3 days of use. Never had so much trouble with Amazon before. Wish all the bad luck will end with 2020.

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

p3.jpg

I have a very few 3D Blu Ray movies. Have to say that I really only found it interesting for novelty value, and rarely use it these days. But I think the thing that really kills it for me is the need to wear 3D glasses over the top of my prescription glasses. Just can't hack that (and I have no intention of switching to contact lenses). If they could come up with technology that doesn't require those awful 3D glasses, then perhaps I would be more interested.

But having said that, perhaps I will sit down soon and watch that 3D movie of Hugo that I picked up for next to nothing in a video shop closing sale (the case only contains the 3D disc). B)

1 hour ago, emesbee said:

Just can't hack that (and I have no intention of switching to contact lenses). If they could come up with technology that doesn't require those awful 3D glasses, then perhaps I would be more interested.

The saga is long [and covered by imagic at avs forum] about how good ultra d 3d is [he got a pre production beta tv at one point years ago] .  If ce's werent so proprietary we would have it by now B)

Is glasses-free 3D really coming to every TV set? by Jose Antunes - ProVideo Coalition

50 minutes ago, cwt said:

The saga is long [and covered by imagic at avs forum] about how good ultra d 3d is [he got a pre production beta tv at one point years ago] .  If ce's werent so proprietary we would have it by now B)

Is glasses-free 3D really coming to every TV set? by Jose Antunes - ProVideo Coalition

Interesting, maybe it will hit the market at some time down the track. Perhaps when 4K starts to lose the 'wow' factor. Would be expensive I imagine, to begin with.

• Like 1
On 28/12/2020 at 11:55 AM, emesbee said:

But having said that, perhaps I will sit down soon and watch that 3D movie of Hugo that I picked up for next to nothing in a video shop closing sale (the case only contains the 3D disc). B)

Hugo is an entertaining movie in itself, and the 3D is very well done. Wikipedia tells me, "Hugo received 11 Academy Award nominations (including Best Picture), more than any other film that year, winning five: Best Cinematography, Best Art Direction, Best Sound Mixing, Best Sound Editing, and Best Visual Effects.".

Not having to wear 3D glasses would certainly be convenient. I usually wear glasses when watching any movie, and I find I forget about the extra pair of glasses resting on my nose when I watch a 3D movie.  However I've noticed that a lot of people who ordinarily wear prescription glasses complain about wearing an additional pair of glasses for 3D. 

2 minutes ago, MLXXX said:

Hugo is an entertaining movie in itself, and the 3D is very well done. Wikipedia tells me, "Hugo received 11 Academy Award nominations (including Best Picture), more than any other film that year, winning five: Best Cinematography, Best Art Direction, Best Sound Mixing, Best Sound Editing, and Best Visual Effects.".

Not having to wear 3D glasses would certainly be convenient. I usually wear glasses when watching any movie, and I find I forget about the extra pair of glasses resting on my nose when I watch a 3D movie.  However I've noticed that a lot of people who ordinarily wear prescription glasses complain about wearing an additional pair of glasses for 3D. 

I watched the movie last night, and agree it is very well done. I particularly like the way they reproduced Georges Méliès studio and depicted his film making.

However, I do find the extra 3D glasses over my spectacles quite annoying, just feels very uncomfortable. While I was able to immerse myself in the film after a while, I was certainly glad to take the damn things off at the end.

• Like 1

For TV I found those light weight LG passive 3D (cinema type) glasses works perfectly well over my prescription glasses. For projector I have bought nearly all brands I can find. Some might have better design then others in comfort but usually I will forget wearing any of them in a moment. Just start worrying about rechargeable ones as the inbuilt battery will certainly die one day especially if you left them untouched for too long.  Have to take them all out for a recharge last night and keep them alive. Those running on button batteries becomes a better idea in long term. 

After watching WW84 at home I have learnt that it also has 3D in cinema so I decided to go as the chance of it releasing on 3D bluray is slim. Can't find any 3D showing near me so I have to travel far to see it. They have only one 3D session per day and last session was yesterday. May be 10 people there altogether. Review of the movie is mostly negative but I love it. Have some great 3D moments like the flying bullet. I do wish I can watch it again on 3D at home one day.      

54 minutes ago, PKK said:

After watching WW84 at home I have learnt that it also has 3D in cinema so I decided to go as the chance of it releasing on 3D bluray is slim. Can't find any 3D showing near me so I have to travel far to see it. They have only one 3D session per day and last session was yesterday. May be 10 people there altogether. Review of the movie is mostly negative but I love it. Have some great 3D moments like the flying bullet. I do wish I can watch it again on 3D at home one day.      

There is a dispute over 3d vs 2d versions in India between cinema owners and the distributors . Maybe a stroke of luck this occurred :)

Wonder Woman 1984 (Blu-ray 3D & Blu-ray) (2-Disc): Amazon.in: Pedro Pascal, Gal Gadot, Connie Nielsen, Kristen Wiig, Chris Pine, Patty Jenkins, Pedro Pascal, Gal Gadot: Movies & TV Shows

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Hopefully WW84 is not an Indian exclusive release. I believe Amazon IN will not ship direct to us and push the price ridiculously high buying from other channel.

Finally got my Lovers Guide 3D after ordering it 3 times. Lost twice in transit from Amazon UK and then sold out. Have to settle with ebay pre-owned. Don't know what is wrong with Amazon lately. All my last 3 orders from Amazon UK have problems of some sort, and my latest order received from Amazon US is totally wrong with someone else items. Have to pay more to buy again and waste another month. 

I first thought the Lovers Guide 3D is a 2D to 3D convert because some 3D effect is quite awful. But then I am surprised to learn from the behind the scene that they actually used a massive 3D camera for the shooting. May be it is one of the early attempt so they don't know how to set it right.

LG3Da.jpg

On 02/02/2021 at 5:59 PM, muriwai said:

He he 

we will all be waiting for a review on the lovers guide movie😁

Obviously I bought it solely from a 3D collector point of view and nothing else.....😍 

Received my order from HK and probably my last as there is no more 3D to buy.

Found this Tekken Hybrid which is odd with PS3 game and 3D movie on one disc. It is the Japanese version with English and works fine with our system. I am not a gamer but the movie Tekken Blood Vengeance 3D is an eye candy and well worth the price alone. 

HK3D1.jpg

TK3D.jpg

Edited by PKK
On 04/08/2020 at 7:38 PM, PKK said:

Glad to see 3D lovers around. I think nothing can best the last generation of LG 4K Oled with passive glasses. It is bright, no cross talk and 3D motions is solid. Not to mention those glasses are cheap, light and everywhere. 

As much as I can’t stand our 79 inch LG tv (it’s now in the kids lounge room), I love the passive 3D. I reckon it’s way better than active and you don’t get fatigued. I still watch 3D on my Epson projector and on a 78 inch Samsung tv in the family room and still enjoy it but passive is certainly better IMO