My quest of 3D blurays begins

As a die hard 3D fan, seeing so many Marvel and Disney 3D blurays having "2 for $20" plus 20% off sale in JB during the weekend, I can't help but put 18 of them in my shopping cart, even though I already have them all when first released, just there to show my last respect and little support of the dying format.

The end of 3D was expected for years but somehow we got one or two new releases in between to satisfy fans needs so there is still a little hope for the format to live on. But all of a sudden the end is finally upon us. There is no more 3D pre-order after "Secret Life of Pets 2" and one of my local JB which still has a dedicated 3D section last time I visit is now gone, very sad indeed. 

Then here comes my JB drama. When I tried to check out the 18 discs in my shopping cart, I was told that none is available for "Click and Collect". Fair enough. I then chose "Delivery" but the single Antman is not available for "Delivery" either. So my only option is to go out and hunt them down from stores. 

Went to shop "A", found 6 from my list. Should be $60 (all 2 for $20) + 20% off = $48, simple math. After numerous scans and check, the man at the desk confirm all discs are in the 2 for $20 sale, but the cashier kept saying $53. He has no clue and call for the manager. The manager came up with the stupid excuse that I can't double dip on discount. He probably means that I can't have 2 for $20 and 20% off at the same time. I am speechless. After we were stuck there for more than 10 minutes, the staff made a smart move to scan them 2 by 2 and it magically works! I paid $16 three times so adds up to a total of $48. Case closed.  

Went to shop "B", found 8 from my list. Should be $80 (all 2 for $20) + 20% off = $64. Again after numerous scans and check, the cashier kept saying $67. She called for the manager's help, another 10 minutes gone, the manager then work his magic and came up with a bill of $60. I told him the correct amount should be $64 but obviously he don't want to fight with the machine anymore so I am happy to accept the bonus.

Went to shop "C" in the city, Very lucky to find the remaining 4. Should be $40 (all 2 for $20) + 20% off = $32. Once again the cashier said $37. I remind him that they are all "2 for $20", he told me I am now getting a better discount than "2 for $20". I gave up arguing and paid $37. Mission accomplished.

I am afraid I will have to import any future 3D releases from now on as only Europe is still making them. But too bad our weak dollar and all the restrictions from amazon made them even harder to get. Suddenly all the memory of hunting down the dying HDDVD from the good old days a decade ago is back!

3Ds.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, turnthetable said:

Love your persistence

I'm also a 3D fan and I'm dreading the time my Oppo or Pana 3d TV die

My 3D Pana died and it was replaced with a better Pana TV by Panasonic but it isn't 3D.

I don't really miss it but it was good to have  for those few times we did watch a 3D disc  -  l still have the Panasonic glasses.

Guys 3D very much alive well in projector land :)

recently had a few folk over and thought to show them what 3D can look like as pretty stoked :)

hoping to convince @evil c to come over to 3D land :D 

been steadily amassing...we are very fortunate to have so many regionB 3D releases even US misses out on. Over on avs big 3D fan zombie listed his 

“Some of my 3D favorites:
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 Ant-Man Ant-Man & Wasp Dr. Strange (very intense 3D) Spiderman far from home Thor Ragnarok Alita Battle Angel (this is a must see in 3D) Mad Max Pacific Rim (AMAZING in 3D!) Rogue One Prometheus Kong Skull Island Maleficent (2014)
IMAX:
Space Station (Amazing in 3D) Micro Monsters Kingdom of the Plants
Animations:
Nightmare before Xmas Sammy's Adventure (A++++ 3D) Wreck it Ralph Cars Monsters Inc. Despicable Me“

he buys a lot from over our way because we have what they don’t get.

ill add my own list of favourites when get a chance. In some ways 3D visually adds a dimension literally that 4K cant!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Off the top of my head ... some of my 3D favourites of all time 

Imax under the sea

art of flight 

prometheus

life of pi 

everest

San Andreas

ill update and add few more as come to mind

art of flight is torture for 3D system, in early days show up things like ghosting halos etc against pure white snow and plenty of fast action. Stunning visuals amazing filming

imax undersea puts you right there amongst little reef fish following sea turtle around ... always feel can just reach out to touch. So realistic My little daughter when young used to run around the room trying to catch them. Still asks me to put this one on every few years

prometheus shows how good Hifi systems are holographic adding a 3rd dimension... how 3D without gimmick can add do well to the movie experience adding depth to scenes...

life of pi is so well made and 3D shows how it can add for realism and a good alternative to say watching same movie in 4k which is stunning in other ways high dynamic range and wide colour gamut ... 2 takes same movie !

everest ! Wow this one ... and am not best with heights ... gives that feeling in the you know what’s :D with scale and looking down into Depths of chasms and such you feel in real life with heights and scale of things !

San Andreas.... 3D picture and 3D audio to boot. a full encompassing audio and video experience ... bang from the opening scenes ...

will come back with some more when get a chance :)

• Like 2

The nice thing about a lot of 3d movies are your more likely to get an atmos or dts-x track than a standard bd :) Watched Suicide squad recently ; nice atmos but a rare 3d where the transfer wasn't the best being quite dark. Hit JB for another 4 yesterday anyway .

As long as projectors maintain their 3d [ 3d plays better on the larger screen and some ce's understand this including some laser projectors good for 30000 hrs] Ime not worried about source playback as 3d can be converted into side by side format files and any bd player can handle this :thumb:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cwt said:

The nice thing about a lot of 3d movies are your more likely to get an atmos or dts-x track than a standard bd :) Watched Suicide squad recently ; nice atmos but a rare 3d where the transfer wasn't the best being quite dark. Hit JB for another 4 yesterday anyway .

As long as projectors maintain their 3d [ 3d plays better on the larger screen and some ce's understand this including some laser projectors good for 30000 hrs] Ime not worried about source playback as 3d can be converted into side by side format files and any bd player can handle this :thumb:

thanks for the reminder ... added in San Andreas... 3D audio and 3D video ! bang with both :D surround yourself in audio and picture ! 

I agree 3D very mcuh works better in larger screens ...so as seems ... hope projector makers continue to support as they seem to be doing :) its only tellies that seem to be dropping 3D 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Happy to see other 3D fans around here. Chances are we have to import any future 3D releases from now on and pay a high price. Sadly there is no more 3D Bluray pre-order from JB in months.

Usually it was those less popular titles that we miss locally. But starting from Venom I sense the end is near. No 3D for blockbuster like Endgame and Captain Marvel is a total disaster. Lucky we still get Spiderman and Godzilla but that's about it.

I have recently bought those from UK like Endgame, Captain Marvel, Lego Movie 2 and Dumbo. My daughter was in Germany last month so I am happy to get the new Aladdin. Also buying many I have missed in the past if the price is right.  

My future shopping list includes Lion King, Toy Story 4, FF Hobbs & Shaw and Maleficent 2. 

ph3.jpg

ph1.jpg

ph2.jpg

Edited by PKK

Yes, Sony the last holdout here sadly. So have to import the rest.

I honestly don't understand why they torpedoed 3D. It seems like huge collusion, but to me I'd more blame the TV manufacturers. I don't understand exactly why TV manufacturers stopped supporting it. It could 100% be implemented on ANY TV with firmware plus an optional external dongle for a 3D rf emitter - similar to JVC projectors where you have to buy the dongle if you want 3D. Firmware would be more or less free, and buy the extra hardware if you want it. But they pack so much garbage onto TVs these days with applications etc.

I've a projector so I'm fine.

• 1 month later...
On 22/11/2019 at 12:59 PM, Satanica said:

Yes I enjoy my 3D too. I wonder if they will release the final Star Wars movie of the current trilogy in 3D?

Too bad it is not announced locally but UK should have it. Will have to pay more and import it to complete the collection.  

And I have just bought titles like Lion King, Toy Story 4 and Aladdin 3D (again) from UK along with some harder to find ones. I can only wish they can keep it coming till the whole format die. 

B7.jpg

1 hour ago, PKK said:

Too bad it is not announced locally but UK should have it. Will have to pay more and import it to complete the collection.  

And I have just bought titles like Lion King, Toy Story 4 and Aladdin 3D (again) from UK along with some harder to find ones. I can only wish they can keep it coming till the whole format die. 

B7.jpg

The Star Trek blu ray "Into Darkness"  is provided with a normal and 3D disc, it might be one for your collection.  

Pretty sure I have bought that when first released and lying at home somewhere . I believe I have skip buying mostly animation and horror movies when new but now looking for them if the price is right. I think I have already bought most if not all local releases and start importing those oversea only titles. 

Edited by PKK

5 hours ago, betty boop said:

@PKK I should have posted he below re moana in 3D .... I dont see in your collection 
(with shots above) or your thing. but if is ... i can highly recommend ! :)

Thanks for your recommendation but I believe I have already bought most if not all local 3D releases available unless they are hard to find or out of print. May be one day I will find time to post pics of my entire 3D collection here. It is sad that local production seems to be ceased, I have to look elsewhere for those oversea only titles from now on. 

I am surprised to see Abominable got a 3D release in USA lately which is very rare over there. 

Edited by PKK

• 3 weeks later...

Got something from Germany, Japan and Hong Kong. I am surprised to see so many Chinese 3D movies there. But they have probably stop making anything new like us. 

Never know Beowulf 3D exist. Watched it in HDDVD a long long time ago and love it. 

v3.jpg

v2.jpg

v5.jpg

v6.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 26/01/2020 at 7:44 AM, Mobe1969 said:

Solid State Society 3d is awesome. Nice 7.1 audio too!

Nice. SSS is still in wrap and I will get to it soon. 

Got some more 3D blurays along with a bunch of "no local release titles" from oversea. May talk about them in another thread.

I found this "Abominable" very odd. It gets a rare USA/HK 3D release but no local 4K. End up paying more than $70 import from HK, the most expensive bluray for me ever.   

3D.jpg

Edited by PKK
  • Like 1

I see there is a new MINIONS movie being released MINIONS the rise of GRU, I also noticed on the trailer that it will be in 3D, so at least something new 3D wise to look forward to.

https://trailers.apple.com/trailers/universal/minions-the-rise-of-gru/

Also another animated movie called RUMBLE will be in 3D

https://trailers.apple.com/trailers/paramount/rumble/

Although finding these on disc will now be the challenge.

On 11/03/2020 at 10:50 PM, Mobe1969 said:

Ouch. $70. Did you use dddhouse? That is what I use when I get HK releases.

I love dddhouse's price too but they don't stock this one so I have to buy from bad panda shop. Amazon USA will be even higher after GST and shipping. 

I believe the Japan only "Ralph Breaks The Internet" is the most crazy 3D bluray ever. That has to do with their high RRP in general and not just this particular hard to find item. Will need to pay roughly $130 to get one landed. The more I wait the lower our dollar drops so I am afraid I will have to skip and forget about it.  

• Like 1

On 12/03/2020 at 8:36 AM, Tweaky said:

I see there is a new MINIONS movie being released MINIONS the rise of GRU, I also noticed on the trailer that it will be in 3D, so at least something new 3D wise to look forward to.

https://trailers.apple.com/trailers/universal/minions-the-rise-of-gru/

Also another animated movie called RUMBLE will be in 3D

https://trailers.apple.com/trailers/paramount/rumble/

Although finding these on disc will now be the challenge.

It is a real pain to import 3D blurays from oversea these days. The good old days of buying from Amazon USA is long gone. And Amazon UK stop shipping to Australia because of GST is unreasonable. Still waiting for Gemini Man from Germany. Hope they won't stop planes flying here anytime soon.  

44 minutes ago, PKK said:

I love dddhouse's price too but they don't stock this one so I have to buy from bad panda shop. Amazon USA will be even higher after GST and shipping. 

I believe the Japan only "Ralph Breaks The Internet" is the most crazy 3D bluray ever. That has to do with their high RRP in general and not just this particular hard to find item. Will need to pay roughly $130 to get one landed. The more I wait the lower our dollar drops so I am afraid I will have to skip and forget about it.  

Yeah I have that one. If you were Brissie, I could probably let you borrow it.

Hmm, DDDHouse have Abominable and Solid State Society. Maybe they were just out of stock then.

https://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_details.php?ProductID=13802

https://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_details.php?ProductID=17316

Out of stock on Hobbs and Shaw.

• Like 1