Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
betty boop

netflix to stop supporting older devices

Recommended Posts

interesting to see ... netflix not only upping its pricing ... but also now stopping to support older devices... might want to check your unit if its a sammy smart TV, believe some older pana will too also roku, vizio and such .

 

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/8/20955155/netflix-samsung-vizio-smart-tv-roku-set-top-box-support-ending-date

 

this is like hulu that no longer support LG tvs older than 2014 and youtube on sony TVs older than 2012 in 2016...

 

good reason not to necessarily be too reliant on the "smart" aspect of your TV... apparently they go dumb after a while :D fortunately there are any number of media streaming devices (many affordable) to keep up with things...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, betty boop said:

interesting to see ... netflix not only upping its pricing ... but also now stopping to support older devices... might want to check your unit if its a sammy smart TV, believe some older pana will too also roku, vizio and such .

 

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/8/20955155/netflix-samsung-vizio-smart-tv-roku-set-top-box-support-ending-date

 

this is like hulu that no longer support LG tvs older than 2014 and youtube on sony TVs older than 2012 in 2016...

 

good reason not to necessarily be too reliant on the "smart" aspect of your TV... apparently they go dumb after a while :D fortunately there are any number of media streaming devices (many affordable) to keep up with things...

Devices don’t go “dumb”.   They’re not that brands that keeps me in a job. that do go “dumb” :D      Technology changes at a rapid rate that puts demand on hardware resources and sometimes demand change.   Sometimes it’s best not to go out and go for the top of the line panels or products  that cost mega dollars......    There is  possible a very good reason for Netflix to do this.    Netflix isn’t the only one that’s doing this, imagine paying $500k for a device that depends on a $40k licensing for a 3rd party to run it,  now wouldn’t you be pissed 3yrs down the track they go from V5.8 to V6.0  in software and you can’t upgrade to V6.0 becuase it’s no longer compatible to your 3yr old $500k device.....  saids a lot about certain brands....  but the show must go on!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No dumb? I have a Vista PC here that would argue the point, but that's it's nature 🤣 has to be slapped now and again ¬¬

 

OK, I don't have a Vista anything, avoided that OS.

 

AS long as they support my browser I'm OK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

Devices don’t go “dumb”.   They’re not that brands that keeps me in a job. that do go “dumb” :D      Technology changes at a rapid rate that puts demand on hardware resources and sometimes demand change.   Sometimes it’s best not to go out and go for the top of the line panels or products  that cost mega dollars......    There is  possible a very good reason for Netflix to do this.    Netflix isn’t the only one that’s doing this, imagine paying $500k for a device that depends on a $40k licensing for a 3rd party to run it,  now wouldn’t you be pissed 3yrs down the track they go from V5.8 to V6.0  in software and you can’t upgrade to V6.0 becuase it’s no longer compatible to your 3yr old $500k device.....  saids a lot about certain brands....  but the show must go on!  

just like us folks as get older just get alchizemers/oldtimers after a while ... you know still smart as ever just cant make the connections any more to make sense of anything  :D 

 

but yeah netflix is disowning them.... rather forget about them than keep supporting... too hard basket no doubt 😛 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Is netflix bleeding money, because their expenditure is greater than their revenue - in part due to alot of "granfathered" users still on old cheap licences? 

 

 Could be wrong here, going off memory from reading an article on it a while ago 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

Devices don’t go “dumb”.

Indeed.  They haven't changed since the day you bought them.

 

 

The service provider changes the service ... and the TV manufacturer (or the service provider, depending on who makes the apps) chooses to not put the effort in to keep the device working (or it's simply not possible).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cafe67 said:

Is netflix bleeding money, because their expenditure is greater than their revenue - in part due to alot of "granfathered" users still on old cheap licences? 

 

 Could be wrong here, going off memory from reading an article on it a while ago 

could be a point.... why they are cutting loose the boats for some so can drift off... cant support you anymore :D 

 

and upping the price for those others that want to continue to hang on...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can always use an Apple TV or Chromecast for Netflix if your TV is too old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


41 minutes ago, groovem said:

You can always use an Apple TV or Chromecast for Netflix if your TV is too old.

indeed my tv is VERY old in a 10 year old pio kuro.... its seen the back of many an appletv over the years :D along with few other media player supposedly "smart" thingos that have fallen by wayside over the years...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Netflix is gone on my 2014 Panasonic plasma (last plasma generation). I use chromecast. Great little device. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interestingly, YouTube is gone too. Can’t get it on the Chromecast either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Mike13 said:

Interestingly, YouTube is gone too. Can’t get it on the Chromecast either. 

gosh wouldnt have thought chrome cast not be supported anymore ? its relatively more recent isnt it ? or a bit old hack too as well now ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Software support for a smart TV  is typically three years or so plus two years security patches. Once that period is over, and services change their API, you will then have a dumb TV on your hand. Worse still, consequently there will be security issues that put your home network at risk as well as the TV itself. 

 

These are good reasons a run-out model should really be heavily discounted in price.

 

I'd prefer a display panel only TV without the so-called service smartness built in.

Edited by PositivelyMusicallyGeared

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, betty boop said:

gosh wouldnt have thought chrome cast not be supported anymore ? its relatively more recent isnt it ? or a bit old hack too as well now ? 

I think it must be a bug. I wouldn’t be overly impressed if it didn’t come back. I only bought it a year ago. Not 4K ultra version, but I just checked and it is still current.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Oppo still supports Quickflix which is a surprise because I didn't even know it still existed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...