Paradigm Studio 60s and choosing an amp

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So please, for our viewers, whats the verdict after listening to the big Paradigms from my 105W/Ch Denon 2310 receiver?

Absolutely blown away by the system. So defined and clear, with movies, everything that is going on is pronounced and not muddy at all. Handled very well! Even without a sub the speakers do a great job at imaging a soundstage for music. definitely sold on them now

thanks again mate

• 4 weeks later...

I had the Paradigm Studio 80's (v.2) years ago in a very small room (3m x 5m). I had them going with a Yamaha RX-V1 (as pre-amp)/Rotel RB-993 (200w power) combo. Loved the warmth the Rotel introduced. It also had a very slight softness to the highs that went well with the Paradigm's metal dome. The room was still a problem. I listened to music most of the time... How different are the newer Studios?

Hi all, i am running my Studio 60's with 9 watts per channel and they sound beautiful, so realistic and musical, for the type of music that i listen too. Using a 300b Time machine.

I did find I initially had them too close to the rear wall, moving them out a foot or so made a world of difference.

Regards, Nick

finally got my system! Pair Paradigm studio 60's v.5 in rosenut (lovely), pair of paradigm Studio 20's in black ash (lovely), and a marantz sr7005. the 60s are bi-amped. the amp is 125w per channel, and is doing a pretty good job without a power amp, and i am very happy with its performance and dynamics. I will be looking for a sub next, and then a DAC. after that, i will look at a stereo power amp. Do power amps ever go 'out-of-date' ? or should i be able to keep it as long as the speakers? I will be looking for about 200W a side. the speakers are just wonderful though, imaging is already opening up, have had them for 3 days now, running about 8 hours a day, can see the image space widening and gaining clarity.

Out of date? No, that's the good thing about a quality power amp. Buy it once, and enjoy! Another plus to this is that there is no downside to buying a carefully used second hand unit.

Out of date? No, that's the good thing about a quality power amp. Buy it once, and enjoy! Another plus to this is that there is no downside to buying a carefully used second hand unit.

just my thoughts exactly. i might start looking after the sub. argh the bug has bitten

gday pete yeh the 20's are surround, but will also use them as fronts when/if the need arises. i move around a fair bit, so sometimes space may be so limited i cant use the 60's. im not using a centre, just running phantom at the moment, as most of my listening is music with occasional ht and games.

Good work with the purchase!

Where did you get the Studios from, Eastwood hifi like myself or did you find somewhere else that had a good deal?

gday mike, thanks to your demo i made the decision hah! I found great deal from Big Picture People in Bundoora, just round corner from base here. Plus easy for me to pick them straight up when they arrived :thumb:

BTW, i was asking about subs while i was there, and wow, the SUB 1 and SUB 2 from paradigm are from another planet. for those who my not have seen them, they are hexagonal in shape, and have 6 drivers in them. they are mechanically out of phase i believe, and produce no vibrations on the cabinet. cant feel a thing. the sound produced can't be placed in the room, and can apparently go down to 7hz, which is rare haha, and we can only feel the thump. anyway, overkill, but amazing none the less!