mwhouston

Single driver speakers, DIY or commercial

16 hours ago, MattyW said:

You won't regret the purpose for a moment.  In fact you'll be kicking yourself you didn't try them sooner. I never knew what I was missing out on until running these.

My dilemma now is that I just ordered a pair of Duelund silver bypass caps....  Do I use them to bypass the Miflex KFPM-1 in my DAC, or to bypass the 0.47uf Duelund JAM caps which are in turn bypassing the 1uf Cornell Dubilier 940c caps on my super tweeters in my DIY speakers?  Choices choices.... 

Remove the Jam by-pass and use the Duelund Silver, I wouldn't use three different caps together.

Edit: that's if you use them in the speakers.

Edited by Muon N'

13 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

Remove the Jam by-pass and use the Duelund Silver, I wouldn't use three different caps together.

Edit: that's if you use them in the speakers.

Nah, going to use to bypass the Miflex KFPM-1 output caps in my Muji Studio DAC II. ;)

29 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

It doesn't need to be 1st order.    The phase rotation from a (for example) 4th order crossover, is not audible ..... as long as the crossover is generally well designed, and that there are no major wiggles, ie. the phase rotation is smooth

That only fixes phase at the XO you still have the issue of the harmonics falling outside of the envelope.

Plus with a physical separation greater than a quarter wavelength you run into issues related to where in space you are trying to get things right.

dave

Edited by planet10

55 minutes ago, planet10 said:

That only fixes phase at the XO you still have the issue of the harmonics falling outside of the envelope.

Harmonics?   That's an amplitude (and non-linear distortion) thing, not a phase thing .... so I'm a bit confused.

55 minutes ago, planet10 said:

Plus with a physical separation greater than a quarter wavelength you run into issues related to where in space you are trying to get things right.

Yes, you do... which is the whole point I'm trying to make.

When people build multi-speaker crossovers, where the drivers do have significant separation ..... they often bugger it up (IMVHO).

So yes, the physical separation issue is a advantage of single driver (or "WAW") speakers ..... but the advantage can be exaggerated depending on what you compare to.

Single driver speakers also have natural limitations on how constant their directivity can be, so multi-driver speakers are not without their inherent advantages too, if you do it right (which as mentioned, is complex).

At the end of day when you have everything right (so you think) and all measures just great and it sound great to you, someone else comes along and does not like the sound.

It is and always will be personal taste that rules.

One reason I do not pay much attention to reviews or personal opinions.

The only thing that counts for me is my own satisfaction.

I love my ZUs

2 hours ago, Ihearmusic said:

At the end of day when you have everything right (so you think) and all measures just great and it sound great to you, someone else comes along and does not like the sound.

It is and always will be personal taste that rules.

One reason I do not pay much attention to reviews or personal opinions.

The only thing that counts for me is my own satisfaction.

I love my ZUs

Very well reviewed those I believe  :)

A while ago now, but, Bastanis Wildhorns

IMG_1171.thumb.JPG.25328beb690146a21c8ea5f73d254b60.JPG

2 minutes ago, Gryffles said:

Looks great. Can you say a bit about them? I’ve never seen them before

14 minutes ago, RankStranger said:

Looks great. Can you say a bit about them? I’ve never seen them before

Agree, they did look great! 12" driver, 100dB and a fantastic tweeter. Very simple box as well.

Very fussy about what drives them though and can tear your ears off if not right. I had the larger Matterhorns, 15" driver, on loan for a while too and they are better.

They seem to be very expensive now,

https://www.bastanis.com/index.php

Edited by Gryffles

1 hour ago, Gryffles said:

Not really single driver but close. Not really. 

The thread is “Single Driver”. One slipped through but let’s stay on track. Monorail audio that is. 

29 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

The thread is “Single Driver”. One slipped through but let’s stay on track. Monorail audio that is. 

Fair enough  - although 4 have slipped through 😂

20 hours ago, MattyW said:

I imagine those would have been quite spectacular. I hope to hear a pair of speakers with Heils installed one of these days  :)

Thing is the Heils don't like to be enclosed, won't say more as this is a single transducer thread.

Not many commercial postings. I wonder if there is small demand for commercial single driver speakers. Also do multi-driver speakers look more impressive and are easier to sell. As you know I’m all for DIY so it makes me happy. 

Zu is the only single driver commercial speaker which comes to mind. Anyone list some others and a link would be nice. 

Zu aren’t really single driver speakers. I haven’t heard any so can only speculate based on my experiemnets with similar.

dave

17 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

Not many commercial postings. I wonder if there is small demand for commercial single driver speakers. Also do multi-driver speakers look more impressive and are easier to sell. As you know I’m all for DIY so it makes me happy. 

Zu is the only single driver commercial speaker which comes to mind. Anyone list some others and a link would be nice. 

There's not many no, though of those which are available a number are rather expensive.

I find it odd that mostly the commercial offerings are just a single driver rather than a full range with a super tweeter and bass driver as is fairly common with DIY speakers.

Edited by MattyW