mwhouston

Single driver speakers, DIY or commercial

Did I miss something or has there been no commercial single drivers posted. I would have thought maybe a pair of Zu(s).

Mark, my normal speaker positioning is side by side of the equipment rack and you may have seen this in past photos posted by me. However, what I am describing in the post above is that the triangulated speaker position into the corner - works amazingly well in this room. I would almost encourage people to try this speaker positioning, if your room allows it.

I think that is the issue “of room allows” not in my case anyhow.

Never heard it but sounds like it is working well for you. 

1 minute ago, mwhouston said:

Never heard it but sounds like it is working well for you. 

Yes, and on a variety of speakers. The standard speaker position is sounding a bit flat and 2D now. 😕

It would be interesting and fun to get as many as possible to build a pair of speakers around the Altronics 8” twin cone wide range (C2000A, $15 each less with trade discount which anyone can get) . Anything from OB to beautiful cabinets with backloaded horns.

The way I see it is we get to post our creations here (must be fully completed  and look well crafted -  no raw MDF) I’d like to see some sort of removable grill. Add your own listening  notes. Also get one other SNA member to add their honest listening impressions and comments. 

It can be as exotic or as simple as you like. Who’s up for it? I am. 

He is some inspiration; 

https://www.trenner-friedl.com/index.php?menu=product&sprache=en&second=osiris

I know they use a coaxial but replace that with the Altronics 8” driver in a sealed box. 

Still can't upload a photo..... A little frustrating 

2 hours ago, mwhouston said:

Did I miss something or has there been no commercial single drivers posted. I would have thought maybe a pair of Zu(s).

My little Akai Jetstreams don't count ? :) 

300B.thumb.jpg.d721f3e71f5dbe93b39c39e60038b06c.jpg

Here you go Mark:

Speakers: Zu Soul MKII.

Amplification: Underground Sound 300B SET TT (www.undergroundsoundaudio.com)

Pre amplifier:  Modified Altronics kit.

Sound: I have yet to better it! ( I am Trying )

Edited by Ihearmusic

3 hours ago, MattyW said:

Still can't upload a photo..... A little frustrating 

Go to your account and delete 50% of the oldest photos. I had to do it too. 

1 hour ago, Ihearmusic said:

300B.thumb.jpg.d721f3e71f5dbe93b39c39e60038b06c.jpg

Here you go Mark:

Speakers: Zu Soul MKII.

Amplification: Underground Sound 300B SET TT (www.undergroundsoundaudio.com)

Pre amplifier:  Modified Altronics kit.

Sound: I have yet to better it! ( I am Trying )

Thanks, looks like a real nice setup. I’d love to hear any Zu. 

1 hour ago, mwhouston said:

Go to your account and delete 50% of the oldest photos. I had to do it too. 

Did the trick  :)

forgive my feet in this shot. The Lii Audio Fast-10 are without doubt the most natural sounding and insightful sounding drivers I've ever experienced.  Really special.

IMG_20191108_191050.thumb.jpg.b50288520cbcc2e5281b37f3fdb16d65.jpg

IMG_20191108_181717.thumb.jpg.e60cde7e5d5ea7f72a1ae85b3c94ab01.jpg

1 hour ago, mwhouston said:

Thanks, looks like a real nice setup. I’d love to hear any Zu. 

same. Pretty sure Adelaide is the only place to hear them. Have to find an excuse to go

11 minutes ago, MattyW said:

Did the trick  :)

forgive my feet in this shot. The Lii Audio Fast-10 are without doubt the most natural sounding and insightful sounding drivers I've ever experienced.  Really special.

IMG_20191108_191050.thumb.jpg.b50288520cbcc2e5281b37f3fdb16d65.jpg

IMG_20191108_181717.thumb.jpg.e60cde7e5d5ea7f72a1ae85b3c94ab01.jpg

They look so awesome too. I’d love to do something with them just for the cool vintage style

they look like they have whizzers in the first shot but not in the 2nd. Did you remove them or is it just a trick of the light?

Edited by RankStranger

5 minutes ago, RankStranger said:

They look so awesome too. I’d love to do something with them just for the cool vintage style

they look like they have whizzers in the first shot but not in the 2nd. Did you remove them or is it just a trick of the light?

Just a trick of the light. I wasn't a fan of the appearance until they were installed though they really do look fantastic.

I've been advised that the current batch will be the last in this colour scheme as people online thought they were Coral Beta 10 copies though when you look closely the only real resemblance is in the color.

That said as soon as I can source some protective speaker grilles that fit (275mm) they'll be covered.  As much as I'd like to take credit for how good these speakers sound its really all down to the drivers themselves  ;)

5 minutes ago, MattyW said:

Just a trick of the light. I wasn't a fan of the appearance until they were installed though they really do look fantastic.

I've been advised that the current batch will be the last in this colour scheme as people online thought they were Coral Beta 10 copies though when you look closely the only real resemblance is in the color.

That said as soon as I can source some protective speaker grilles that fit (275mm) they'll be covered.  As much as I'd like to take credit for how good these speakers sound its really all down to the drivers themselves  ;)

I think it was the Crystal 10s that caught my eye on Aliexpress of all places. Not cheap at $1500 a pair but I’d love to try some one day. 

18 minutes ago, RankStranger said:

I think it was the Crystal 10s that caught my eye on Aliexpress of all places. Not cheap at $1500 a pair but I’d love to try some one day. 

The FAST-10 are the previous top of the line drivers. While the Crystal-10 are no doubt better I suspect there's not much in it. The sell out pricing of the FAST-10 is hard to pass up 

https://www.lii-audio.com/index.php/product/full-range-speaker-10-inch-hi-end-99db-hifi-speaker-driver-for-tube-amplifier-xizi-audio-2pcs-fast-10/

Edited by MattyW