Single driver speakers, DIY or commercial

mwhouston

I have taken a look at the specs. etc. of most of the better single drivers here wondering if we should have picked a better “challenge” driver. The costs blows right out from what I conceived as a simple and cheap fun project.

In the end the challenge is still up to make a good looking good sounding pair of speakers out of up the cheap but efficient C2000A driver. A few have said it is quite good, that gives me a little more confidence that the project may produce better results than first thought.

My angle of attack is coming from good or different looking speakers and nice sounding. That works for me. I guess “can you make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear”, to quote a phrase?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mwhouston said:

I have taken a look at the specs. etc. of most of the better single drivers here wondering if we should have picked a better “challenge” driver. The costs blows right out from what I conceived as a simple and cheap fun project.

In the end the challenge is still up to make a good looking good sounding pair of speakers out of up the cheap but efficient C2000A driver. A few have said it is quite good, that gives me a little more confidence that the project may produce better results than first thought.

My angle of attack is coming from good or different looking speakers and nice sounding. That works for me. I guess “can you make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear”, to quote a phrase?

It sounds like a good idea.. a cheap driver makes the competition more accessible and there are plenty of tricks to shape the response of drivers like the the C2000A.. I would be up for it

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oohms said:

It sounds like a good idea.. a cheap driver makes the competition more accessible and there are plenty of tricks to shape the response of drivers like the the C2000A.. I would be up for it

OK that’s two of us. I have to get more low profile trannies from Altronics soon. I’ll pick up the drivers then. I have had box ideas for a fest weeks. Simple and sealed. 

9 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

He is a slightly dearer, $40 from Amazon, driver. Is it the same as Altronics ? 

https://www.visaton.de/en/products/fullrange-systems/bg-20-8-ohm

I have a pair of those, totally different driver and they don't really extend past 10khz. I think the most important thing is high end extension and low cost. An alternative could be something like the oval dual cone speakers they use in the AU-BA falcons, they sound surprisingly good for how cheap and common they are

Edited by oohms
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, oohms said:

An alternative could be something like the oval dual cone speakers they use in the AU-BA falcons, they sound surprisingly good for how cheap and common they are

Ha! I read that and thought, AU-BA falcons? I haven’t heard of those speakers. Are they some sort of classic diy design that I’m yet to come across? BR is bass reflex, what does BA stand for? I did a google search and all I got was cars and I scrolled down the page looking for speakers and changed it to image search and just more bloody cars. Just page after page of...

Ford AU-BA Falcons! ?ding!

Pfft. Brains are stupid.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, aussievintage said:

It's all about how much you want to compromise.  This is how I ended up with this choice.  Banana pulp cone - how could a Queenslander NOT want it ! :)

Photo of FE206EN full range

WWW.MADISOUNDSPEAKERSTORE.COM

I’ve heard if you pick them before they are ripe they are green. 

• Like 2

Really think the Visaton is the way to go. In a 60ltr sealed box appears to have reasonable bass (f3=60hz with resonance extremely low). I would like to try a wide baffle for a change and a switchable BSC network (in or out). 

The HF side may be a little down but moving away from single drive an external HF driver or super tweeter perched atop would fix that. The Altronics version just doesn’t have enough power handling. BG20-8 does. 

Inexpensive and sourced in Australia, it would be my choice. 

WWW.VISATON.DE

20 cm (8") full-range speaker with tweeter dome. High efficiency. Suitable for full-range units as vocal or guitar monitors or as a mid-range unit for full-scale or musicians' PA systems.

• Like 1

I have stolen this image from the DIY thread. I hope the member is cool with it.

This is how I envisage my Visaton 8” single driver build. No port though. 

I like the idea of a wide baffle board and the tilt back appeals to me. A finished box either just black or a nice timber veneer. BSC at the back with binding posts and make it defeatable. 

The driver will be centre in the top 1/3rd of the baffle brd. 1/3rd up from the bottom will be a port 3/4” in diameter and the depth of the baffle brd. 

It will be plugged with a cork from a Woodfords reverse bourbon bottle. Reason is the corks top is made from American oak and when oiled look nice. Pop the cork to change bass characteristics. 

A3DF79A9-62CB-4832-A7BE-26526106DD4A.jpeg

Edited by mwhouston
  • Like 1

I'll dig out my BG20's and see what i can come up with over the next couple of weeks

Had it not been approaching summer, i'd be tempted to build something like a set of voight corner horns for 8" FR drivers

Here is a set of sealed sims for the BG20.

visaton-BG20-sealed.png

A vented box looks to get into the high 20s. My 1st talke would be 100 litres, but it works in 150 litres, and should work in a smaller box with a loss of some LF extension.

dave.

dave

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ihearmusic said:

Work in progress.........

672478531_9710Enclouser.thumb.jpg.33f67521d4718ce13098fe87ea24f582.jpg

Where did tht design come from? Looks like a “classic” design. Those are very hit and miss.

The box you linked to says it is a bass reflex but given the box ratios it is going to be an ML-TL. I would avoid that one.

dave

TUBEMANIACS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Die Suche nach einem geeigneten Lautsprecher für Single Ended Trioden kann zu einer frustrierenden Erfahrung werden. Alle Konzepte die wir g...

15 hours ago, planet10 said:

Where did tht design come from? Looks like a “classic” design. Those are very hit and miss.

The box you linked to says it is a bass reflex but given the box ratios it is going to be an ML-TL. I would avoid that one.

dave

Yes Dave, like with every design, it is a bit hit and miss.

Either one likes the sound or one does not. Amplification matters as well, Room they are put in and so on and so on.

At the end of the day one can only give it ones best shot.

The design a based mine on is coming from the link above. It is in German however.

The other link I forwarded was just for the guys considering a design for the Visaton Driver.