Single driver speakers, DIY or commercial

mwhouston

Currently this is the 6L6 SE UL power wine box amp driving my Mark Audios. Sounding far better than I thought possible. Single stage tube preamp before that. 

It appears I can’t attach an image. Another member was having this problem. I’ll place a link.

http://retro-thermionic.blogspot.com/2017/02/silver-supreme-6l6-se-ul-amp-in-wooden.html

Edited by mwhouston
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mwhouston said:

Altronics c0635-100mm

Using an an online box calculator

C0635.jpg

From that sure looks like a Radio Shack 40-1197 (aka FE103 variant). They only give one of 3 required specs so using T/S won’t work. You’d probably be safe putting it into Frugel-Horn Mk3. Looks like the 92dB comes as the expense of Fs so maybe Frugel-Horn Lite.

It could be a real sleeper. 

dave

2 hours ago, mwhouston said:

Who has tried baffle step corrections (BSC).

Yes. I try to avoid using a passive filter in the speaker circuit, trying other remedies 1st.

One has to be careful with BSC, as it raises the on axis below the cutoff it also raises the room response — which is often flat to start.

This needs a bit of udating, particularily #6 on bipoles. It is missing discussion of bi-pole dip.

https://www.t-linespeakers.org/tech/bafflestep/intro-bds.html

dave

Edited by planet10
add link
  • Like 1

I think this thread has been really well supported. I know I’m pleasantly surprised at the number and variations and types  of the single driver speaker which have been posted.

I think the trophy goes to planet10 though for not only sheer numbers but beautifully crafted speakers. Keep it up.

When I was suggesting this thread on the DIY thread we spoke of coaxials. They have not been included here. Time for them to shine. I’m suggesting now another thread for single driver coaxial speakers. If we get anywhere near the support and enthusiasm of this thread at least I’ll be pleased.

I have only built two coaxials and both based on Spanish Beyma drivers. I’d like to see who is doing what with coaxials. I’ll start the tread and post a link here and on the DIY thread. 

Inspired by this thread, I am listening to this point source driver system at the moment. Sounds superb and does most things right considering the main driver, a Fostex FE206 cost peanuts. The Fostex is reflex loaded into a vented 25L box and good to about 80Hz, low bass is my favourite Eton 11-581 driver in an 80L BR box yielding bass down to 26Hz +/- 3dB according to WinISD modelling.

I also really like the unusual speaker positioning into a triangulated portion of the room. This creates a 2-3m space behind the speakers (into the apex of the room corner) which results in a 3D soundstage, great depth, spread and incredible bass response in my room ...the music just ‘hangs in the air’ in front of me, too.

Cheers,

Steve

653A4FD9-19F4-49E7-A4BD-7262DEFD66CE.jpeg

Edited by Steve M
  • Like 2

I forgot to mention, the Fostex box has a Baffle Step Compensation circuit design by Martin J King installed which supposedly cuts about 9-12 dB from the Fostex’s hot upper mid-lower treble region.

This definitely tames the driver significantly, but like Planet10/Dave I often (depending on the music) like using the Fostex/Lowther drivers without the BSC, to keep it pure. 

Edited by Steve M

8 minutes ago, Steve M said:

Inspired by this thread, I am listening to this point source driver system at the moment. Sounds superb and does most things right considering the main driver, a Fostex FE206 cost peanuts. The Fostex is reflex loaded into a vented 25L box and good to about 80Hz, low bass is my favourite Eton 11-581 driver in an 80L BR box yielding bass down to 26Hz +/- 3dB according to WinISD modelling.

I also really like the unusual speaker positioning into a triangulated portion of the room. This creates a 2-3m space behind the speakers which results in a 3D soundstage, great depth, spread and incredible bass response in my room ...the music just ‘hangs in the air’ in front of me, too.

Cheers,

Steve.

653A4FD9-19F4-49E7-A4BD-7262DEFD66CE.jpeg

I would have had the speakers either side of the gear rack.  Not having heard your setup I may have been missing something. All gear looks pro and well finished. A bit of pride in craftsmanship and ownership goes a long way and doesn’t always take much.

Mark, my normal speaker positioning is side by side of the equipment rack and you may have seen this in past photos posted by me. However, what I am describing in the post above is that the triangulated speaker position into the corner - works amazingly well in this room. I would almost encourage people to try this speaker positioning, if your room allows it.

• Like 2