Single driver speakers, DIY or commercial

mwhouston

18 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

You can talk to mods to find out. I got locked out of resounding to posts for 8 hours today. 

There was something screwy going on today. All the classified ads had zero view counts for the whole day, even with a few replies. The multiple post I messaged you about kept jumping to the end of the thread all day. Really weird. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RankStranger said:

There was something screwy going on today. All the classified ads had zero view counts for the whole day, even with a few replies. The multiple post I messaged you about kept jumping to the end of the thread all day. Really weird. 

I was told, electronicly that I couldn’t post for over 33000 seconds. Mods and tech said it was my fault and they had no way of fixing it. 

Then told to delete all web data and cookies. So I lost all my auto logins etc. And that changed nothing. Then told I had to wait out the time, about 8 hours. 

And all of this is because a post faulted. I guess they don’t know there are ways to rebuild a client file\data and reset it without loss of post counts etc. I did this stuff for 25 years. 

Edited by mwhouston

6 minutes ago, RankStranger said:

No shade, no lemonade. Forums are hard. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It’ll come good. It just confuses the cr@p out of me when it goes wrong. :) 

That’s because no one is trained any more. I spent years learning the basics, building fileservers from scratch from high end parts and loading the OS then tweaking it. No one has these skills any more. 

7 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

That’s because no one is trained any more. I spent years learning the basics, building fileservers from scratch from high end parts and loading the OS then tweaking it. No one has these skills any more. 

I’m not a programmer but I’d presume that’s because the money is perceived to be in front end apps, not infrastructure. 

8 hours ago, mwhouston said:

It does appear single drivers and SE tube amps are common. Nice and simple. 

It is the case that many high efficiency speakers are designed to be used with higher output devices. We know this is in particular true with the Fostex FExx6 series (we asked the designer).

Many higher end ones follow this same route.

Because there are no XOs and imedance is much flatter (and often complementary), higher impedance amplifiers can find a home.

dave

5 hours ago, aussievintage said:

Here's another of my single driver speakers.  These are commercially built by Akai.  

Those Akai have a particularily nice version of the FE103A class driver, there were many* manufactures doing a 4” FR for the same OEM box holes. * At one point i had 24 different variations all together at the same time.

akai103A.jpg

These drivers, in my experience, are best in Aiko (a small-big Woden horn — here w FE108e∑eN):

Aiko-FE108eS.jpg

dave

• Like 1

3 hours ago, planet10 said:

Those Akai have a particularily nice version of the FE103A class driver, there were many* manufactures doing a 4” FR for the same OEM box holes. * At one point i had 24 different variations all together at the same time.

akai103A.jpg

These drivers, in my experience, are best in Aiko (a small-big Woden horn — here w FE108e∑eN):

dave

Interesting,  thanks Dave

8 hours ago, RankStranger said:

There was something screwy going on today. All the classified ads had zero view counts for the whole day, even with a few replies. The multiple post I messaged you about kept jumping to the end of the thread all day.

It looked, to me, like the clock was wrong for a while, and some things got posted "in the future".    

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

It looked, to me, like the clock was wrong for a while, and some things got posted "in the future".    

I messaged SNA but they said there was nothing wrong with my account and there was nothing they could do. To their credit they did try. 

Who has tried baffle step corrections (BSC). I have and tested the result with the 8” Fostex in the BLH. What the testing showed was a 2db drop through the mid range. Bass and treble stayed as is but there was a flattening of the mid range. 

I did read some time later that it can reduce dynamics and ultra light coned drivers are usually very dynamic. One article I read from a professional reviewer said that they removed the BSC some time after and felt the sound better. 

Ive only ever used the simplest of BSCs which is an inductor and with a resistor across it. I have seen far more complex ones but I try always to keep things simple. There is a formula for calculating  the BSC.

If you wanted to give a single driver speaker a go and didn’t want to pay a lot, Altronics has this wide range 4” twin cone driver. I have a pair of these to go in some wine box speakers to match my wine box SE UL amps. 

https://www.altronics.com.au/p/c0635-100mm-15w-8-ohm-high-efficiency-paper-cone-speaker/

Why this one you ask. It’s very sensitive at 92db. I wouldn’t expect too much from it but could be a novel build to go with a SET amp or SE UL amp. Or even low power Class D. 

Using an an online box calculator a small box could be designed and porting calculated. I’ll post the link for the calculator.

http://www.micka.de/en/

Edited by mwhouston

This $14 driver from Altronics sounds nice and  works well on an open baffle.I prefer it to the sound of most wizzer coned drivers I have heard -including Philips, Fostex ,Coral and Lowther.It actually has a bit of the Goodmans Axiom 80 sort of sound which is by far the best of that type of driver I have heard.

Of course the underlying appeal with these devices is an accentuated presence range .Not accurate but that is probably not the point.

image.png.83d856f2375da915a437474977275c6e.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, THOMO said:

This $14 driver from Altronics sounds nice and  works well on an open baffle.I prefer it to the sound of most wizzer coned drivers I have heard -including Philips, Fostex ,Coral and Lowther.It actually has a bit of the Goodmans Axiom 80 sort of sound which is by far the best of that type of driver I have heard.

Of course the underlying appeal with these devices is an accentuated presence range .Not accurate but that is probably not the point.

They have a few do you have their part number? I may design a box around it to see bass extension.

Part number is C200A.

As used in the Straight 8 project discussed here a few years ago.

I think one with an open baffle 15 inch woofer to do bass would work well.

I tried 4 on an open baffle H frame and that sounded pretty good.Then I ruined it by removing the wizzer cones off the bottom two .

Edited by THOMO
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, THOMO said:

The construction is very like the old Rola and Magnavox 6 and 8" drivers I have tried in the past.  Results are usually quite good with these types of drivers.

• Like 1