mwhouston

Single driver speakers, DIY or commercial

I’ve built five single driver speakers speakers from simple reflex loaded to complex back loaded horns. Fostex 6” and 8” drivers were my early choice but the last pair are with Mark Audio 12P 8” drivers. I consider the Mark Audio drivers superior to the Fostex particular the bass region. But even the mid-range and treble are better than the Fostex.

At this point just single full range  or wide range drivers in any box or baffle to be posted. Love to hear what others have done and why.

1205A581-40B5-49E4-B27E-809183E0F2F1.jpeg

B67294D6-D76C-49D8-A659-9F798BBB8BA8.jpeg

E8DDD014-BC49-445B-AFC2-8F717F6FC295.jpeg

Here's another pair of Fostex 8" in  TQWT enclosures.    All glued MDF construction.   The really sound nice driven by a SET amp.  They are connected to a nice example of a Pioneer 3-in-1 in this photo (that subwoofer is not connected).   

A very unique tweak has been applied,  two Lambis lambis (spider) shells on top to distract the odd room resonance. :)  

DSC_0473_01.jpg.17ad67630fd1b304439fa6e1145854f8.jpg

30 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

Those back-loaded horns are indeed complicated.  I'll bet that took you a while!

I use full range though augment bass and treble so I guess I've been ruled out  :(

2 minutes ago, MattyW said:

I use full range though augment bass and treble so I guess I've been ruled out  :(

How do you augment them - in external boxes, or do you do it more like a normal 3-way system.  If you don't have a crossover limiting the full-range driver's response, I think you might squeek in :)   (it's not my thread of course)

56 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Those back-loaded horns are indeed complicated.  I'll bet that took you a while!

Fortunately I had a better wood work friend put them together over weeks.  

7 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

How do you augment them - in external boxes, or do you do it more like a normal 3-way system.  If you don't have a crossover limiting the full-range driver's response, I think you might squeek in :)   (it's not my thread of course)

Maybe it should be one driver one baffle. 

1 hour ago, aussievintage said:

The full range is run unlimited,  actually so are the bass woofers presently.  Only the super tweeters are limited with some caps.

Replacing the 10" Zenith 49CZ924 drivers with Lii Audio FAST-10S this weekend,  and have already replaced the 15" Magnavox with Lii Audio W-15 woofers.

The woofers have been designed to supplement their full range drivers and seem rather happy without any inductor in the path. I do need to EQ everything using a MiniDSP 2x4HD though as the speaker in the corner sounds louder than the other.

IMG_20191031_180442.thumb.jpg.bd1c2625e5b6982b31437efe7bb35893.jpg

IMG_20191026_163800.thumb.jpg.a4eb06cd80881edb135a72bfbddf07fe.jpg

Edited by MattyW

I have designed/built (actuall Chris & Bernie have dnoe the building), many Fostex, many Mark Audio, and lots more.

dave

Over 30 years of building single driver speakers ( hence my user name ) 

I have built many designs from complex horn loaded cabinets to bass reflex cabinets 

Have used 3 or 4 brands of speaker drivers 

I always preferred Lowther 

The bigger the cabinet the greater the bass output is a rule of thumb 

OK, here's one I mentioned before.   I always remembered the "movie" sound from those old Bell&Howell film projectors at school.  They had a detachable box with a 12" speaker in them for the sound.  I eventually acquired one, and a top condition Rola 12PX driver for it. Very authentic.   

I then had the idea to set up a mono system, so I used a valve amp - a 6L6 ultralinear 'Playmaster' design with some changes.  The sound reminded me, happily, of an old jukebox.  I put the speaker box on a wall mount bracket above the turntable and amp, angled down to where I sit to listen.  The open back uses the top corner of the room to produce a very full sound.

DSC_0463.thumb.JPG.1d3bd0bb07c32c79c5d0e7dbb4579e9e.JPG

Precariously holding my phone around behind the box to sneak a peek at the driver and inside of the box.

DSC_0465.thumb.JPG.3823a752af67b23e31246f32ff2d07af.JPG

3 minutes ago, Full Range said:

I always preferred Lowther 

They were always mentioned with reverence in full range speaker discussions.     I have only heard them in real life once.  Don't know what style of enclosure it was,   but I remember thinking that their reputation for being a bit "shouty" was about right. But that's one example, in a bad situation (shop floor, not a proper listening room).

1 minute ago, aussievintage said:

They were always mentioned with reverence in full range speaker discussions.     I have only heard them in real life once.  Don't know what style of enclosure it was,   but I remember thinking that their reputation for being a bit "shouty" was about right. But that's one example, in a bad situation (shop floor, not a proper listening room).

As with any speaker one should always look at the system that drives them, I encourage a wholistic approach 

Most recommend enclosures that use Lowther drivers are well over 100db sensitivity 

So what is pushed into them gets faithfully recreated 

Other than that changing / experimenting with phase plugs to suit a design or room dynamics is a good idea 

4 hours ago, aussievintage said:

OK, here's one I mentioned before.   I always remembered the "movie" sound from those old Bell&Howell film projectors at school.  They had a detachable box with a 12" speaker in them for the sound.  I eventually acquired one, and a top condition Rola 12PX driver for it. Very authentic.   

I then had the idea to set up a mono system, so I used a valve amp - a 6L6 ultralinear 'Playmaster' design with some changes.  The sound reminded me, happily, of an old jukebox.  I put the speaker box on a wall mount bracket above the turntable and amp, angled down to where I sit to listen.  The open back uses the top corner of the room to produce a very full sound.

DSC_0463.thumb.JPG.1d3bd0bb07c32c79c5d0e7dbb4579e9e.JPG

Precariously holding my phone around behind the box to sneak a peek at the driver and inside of the box.

DSC_0465.thumb.JPG.3823a752af67b23e31246f32ff2d07af.JPG

Love it.