LG TV Owners & Discussion Thread

On 15/10/2018 at 6:15 PM, kukynas said:

as stated by @pc9 stay away from IPS panels, not sure how much you'd like to spend on your new TV but first consider how far you plan to sit from your TV as this should determine your optimum TV size, don't think bigger is automatically better, there's lots of compromise made to build such big screen, one of them is grey and black uniformity, second would be local dimming especially on edge led TV, I wouldn't go beyond 75" myself no matter what's the distance

if money allow I wouldn't go below Q6FN, next step up is X90F or Q7FN, next Q8FN and so on..., if not minimum would be NU8000 (X85F is below that), I never owned Panasonic TV so can't judge but they might have good VA panels as well...

If you have a chance go to store and check which OS works for you as there might be quite significant difference between brands...

To the best of my knowledge, all 2018 Panasonic LCD TVs have IPS panels. Good if you have wide viewing angles but hopeless dark scene/dark room performance. Panasonic and LG throw all their eggs into the OLED basket. LCDs are basically an afterthought to keep "skin in the budget/mid range TV market". 

In 2019 I hope Hisense and TCL get their act together and add some full array models to their edge lit VA panels. The TCL 6 Series 65" (which is not available in Aus) retails for about $1000 in the US. Not withstanding some quality control issues, it offers 120 local dimming zones, wide colour gammit, peak brightness and contrast comparable to the Q9 FN. 

• 9 months later...

Really want to check the TV image first before purchase. OLEDs can suffer screen burn like the old Plasma's if the same static image is keep on the screen for long periods of time, and the screen saver or image shift modes were not turned on in options.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Really want to check the TV image first before purchase. OLEDs can suffer screen burn like the old Plasma's if the same static image is keep on the screen for long periods of time, and the screen saver or image shift modes were not turned on in options.
Yeahh, I (reluctantly) bought an ex display LCD from JB, as the price was too good to be true, but even the salesperson told me to steer clear of the ex disp OLEDs. Too high risk, after running every day on full brightness for 12 months straight!

• 4 weeks later...

And yet I’ve seen an e7 series oled at jb hi hoppers crossing that was running 7 days a week in torch mode for 2 years 

I couldn’t see a dead pixel or any evidence of image retention let along burn in

because they had no static logos and continuous varied content

OLED is better than plasma for longevity once we got past the 2016 series 

• Like 1

On 08/12/2019 at 3:01 AM, Kdjjdk Will said:

And yet I’ve seen an e7 series oled at jb hi hoppers crossing that was running 7 days a week in torch mode for 2 years 

I couldn’t see a dead pixel or any evidence of image retention let along burn in

Those LG OLED on display........ do not touch, avoid avoid avoid,   They run them on a loop 24/7 cranked on dynamic mode....   Search hard enough in this territory and you’ll find an old thread of mind showing you pics of “burn-in”  that’s direct in a JB store, HN or Myers...    I haven’t picked any with Burn in lately but that’s becuase LG made it there mission in replacing any display models with burn in when a rep calls it in.    You simply can’t sell  panels with “ghost “ images clearly “burned”  into the screen, never saw that with plasma and those OLED screens that I saw with the burn in wasn’t even on the shelf that long!    If you google LG burn in you’ll see the search will come up with panels still being demo that’s not that old on the self!   One technology I will never spend money on.

Edited by Addicted to music
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
On 08/12/2019 at 3:01 AM, Kdjjdk Will said:

• 2 weeks later...

so many complaints on the Web that this model tv has screens that crack on their own.  My friend bought one 2 months ago. He lives on his own and one morning he woke up to find the screen cracked with no crack on the outside but on the inside. I looked this up and many people have reported the same situation. 

On 26/01/2019 at 9:03 AM, pc9 said:

To the best of my knowledge, all 2018 Panasonic LCD TVs have IPS panels. Good if you have wide viewing angles but hopeless dark scene/dark room performance. Panasonic and LG throw all their eggs into the OLED basket. LCDs are basically an afterthought to keep "skin in the budget/mid range TV market". 

In 2019 I hope Hisense and TCL get their act together and add some full array models to their edge lit VA panels. The TCL 6 Series 65" (which is not available in Aus) retails for about $1000 in the US. Not withstanding some quality control issues, it offers 120 local dimming zones, wide colour gammit, peak brightness and contrast comparable to the Q9 FN. 

All 2018 Pana TV's were IPS bar the 75inch FX780 which was a VA. I have one and love it. I have it calibrated to an inch of  It's life and have it look pretty close to an OLed. Contrast is on par with my JVC X9000.

Anyone with a C9 experience severe black crush or blocking with dark scenes?

From what I can tell it’s related to compression issues with streamed content.

I have NBN50 and an Apple TV 4K and would have thought this wouldn’t be such a problem. 

Anyone experience this? Have some helpful TV settings to combat the issue?

Changing the ATV’s default setting to 4K SDR and enabling content matching seems to have solved this.

It didn’t occur to me at the time but it seems the issue was due to the ATV blowing out the blacks in SDR footage by upscaling to HDR / DV

Now SDR plays in SDR and HDR / DV in HDR / DV etc. 

Edited by Wood
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I have an LD OLED B7 and never really experienced the issues until I got burn in and LG replaced the panel (2.5 years on and out of Warranty - very impressed with LG) but I just sent them an email saying I'm having big issues with near black/greys that I was not before with the replacement panel.  :(

Hopefully its something they can resolve. Moved my STB to my 10 year Samsung and it smashes it.

Glad you fixed yours though.

Just had burn in my oled b7. Not even sure what caused it. Had to get the panel replaced. So I'm with the rest. Don't do it.

+ I do have screensaver and image shift on.

Edited by 3dl3
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Looking for some advice for those who have this LG or other OLED tv's.

I just purchased a new 77 CX and set it up yesterday.

I threw on some 4k movies via Disney app and noticed a lack of detail in black areas/dark scenes.

I done some reasearch about optimal setting etc, adjusted the gamma to 2.2 turned off power saving and any motion stuff.

However the black level detailing is terrible. I had to adjust the brightness up to 75 to see any detail which just washed out the blacks.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas as to why? appreciate any assistance.

12 minutes ago, Lil Caesar said:

agree its the streaming service not the TV.  compression in shadows is very noticeable when the content is 4k.  UHD disc will appear excellent as suggested above.

Yes i just played a marvel film and was much better in the black levels. Tested some other 4k content too and looks to have improved over yesterday. Strange thing as yesterday out of the box the black details were terrible and now seem much better today. Picture is amazing!

• Like 1