oklahoma

Apple TV 4K connection issues.

Hi everyone,

I’ll give as much detail as I can, and then ask my questions...

We have recently built and had a media room included in our build. We have a low lying entertainment unit at the front of the room with 2 HDMI jacks included in a wall plate. Approximately 10 metres of HDMI then travels up the wall and to the rear of the room and to the projector. The equipment is:

JVC N7 projector

Denon 6500 receiver

Apple TV 4K

HDMI cable used by the builders is “alogic high speed HDMI with ethernet”

I connected the Apple TV to the receiver, and the receiver to the wall jack. The Apple TV was displayed through the projector, and all seemed OK. However, after I turned everything off, things turned a bit strange.

Now I can’t get a signal from the Apple TV to display on the projector through either the receiver, or directly through the wall jack. The Apple TV itself is working ok, and if I move it to the back of the room and plug it directly into the projector with a short HDMI cable it displays perfectly. My Blu-Ray player displays normally when hooked up through the receiver, or either wall jack so the long HDMI through the wall is OK. The receiver can display its help menus on the screen so the receiver is OK. Of interest, when the Apple TV is plugged into the receiver, the associated channel of the receiver displays “no signal” on the projector.

So, it seems that the Apple TV signal is getting lost somewhere after it plugs into the receiver or the wall jack. 

Questions:

1. Would a better HDMI cable connecting the Apple TV to the receiver and the receiver to the wall jack be enough to fix this? or....

2. Would I be better off replacing the cable between the wall jack and the projector? or

3. Is there something obvious I’m missing?

Any advice welcome!

Thanks for your time.

Do you get a picture if you set the video output on the Apple TV to 1080p? Or even lower?

Good question, thanks.

I will have to do that when it’s plugged in at the projector, then move it forward. I will let you know.

44 minutes ago, oklahoma said:

HDMI cable used by the builders is “alogic high speed HDMI with ethernet”

thats probably your issue 

44 minutes ago, oklahoma said:

Approximately 10 metres of HDMI then travels up the wall and to the rear of the room and to the projector.

10 meters for your average hdmi cable which all the builder would have used is a bother. i only know one average hdmi cable in the office works comsol 4k at $69 that works for 4k uhd and seamlessly with the apple 4k tv

there is a cable test feature with the apple TV

if you want to try the office works cable I would with a denon/marantz its pretty mcuh same signal path as mine with the jvc n7 so should work

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/comsol-high-speed-hdmi-cable-with-ethernet-10m-cohdmi100

check the cable without running in the wall. i will be very suprised if you down get a picture and run the apple TV cable check

note wall jacks are not a good idea with 4k uhd. i would instead use a bull nose like below at either end and have cable pass straight through. 

https://www.selby.com.au/2-pack-bull-nose-forward-wall-plates-white-bun900556.html

Steffen,

The highest it will go is 4K SDR. Thank you, it was the one bit of troubleshooting I was missing!

Betty,

Thanks, I will get that cable and let you know. I will also get a similar one to connect the Apple TV to the receiver.

It's probably also worth checking that all HDMI handshaking protocols are switched off (HDMI-CEC) on all devices.

Okay, feedback time.

I can get 4K SDR when I plug the Apple TV into the wall jack, but I can get nothing to work when I pass the signal through the receiver, not even 1080p SDR, or even 1024x768....

I’ve had a look at the HDMI controls for all devices and have turned off anything that looks remotely like CEC but unsure where to go from here other than new cables all round.

***EDIT*** Got it working through the receiver by selecting “4K Signal Format” from ‘enhanced’ to ‘standard’. ***

Edited by oklahoma

I have had almost this exact same issue it was the hdmi cable 

On 06/11/2019 at 4:37 PM, oklahoma said:

***EDIT*** Got it working through the receiver by selecting “4K Signal Format” from ‘enhanced’ to ‘standard’. ***

Looks like something doesn't like passing 18gbps signals ;)

4K Signal Format

Set the format of the 4K signal played back by this unit.

Stan­dard
(De­fault):

Se­lect if your TV and play­back de­vices sup­port stan­dard 4K 60p 4:2:0 8 bit video sig­nals.

En­hanced:

Se­lect if your TV, play­back de­vices, and ca­bles sup­port high qual­ity 4K 60p 4:4:4, 4:2:2 or 4K 60p 4:2:0 10 bit video sig­nals.

its why i suggested to run the apple TVs cable test would soon know :) only takes a few minutes... tests the signal path....