Sign in to follow this  
dles1972

Advice on decent RCA interconnect for turntable

The ground wire doesn't need to be grouped with the RCA cable, many like to do this because it's neater.  It's ok to have it as a separate cable. 

You can tape it onto the RCA cable, but I would prefer to use heat shrink - 1" segments, spaced far enough to keep it together.  Techflex over this makes it look nice.  In the photo above I would put heatshrink around the ends of the techflex to stop it from fraying. 

6 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

The ground wire doesn't need to be grouped with the RCA cable, many like to do this because it's neater.  It's ok to have it as a separate cable. 

You can tape it onto the RCA cable, but I would prefer to use heat shrink - 1" segments, spaced far enough to keep it together.  Techflex over this makes it look nice.  In the photo above I would put heatshrink around the ends of the techflex to stop it from fraying. 

Thank you. I will do exactly that. 

Lots of 'crazy price' cables being thrown up. I shall throw in a 'value for money' alternative. These Australian made Gecko cables are  a treat and are actually affordable (for everyone). Turn your nose up at your own peril.....under $50 delivered.👌 At the moment you can get another $7 off with a code word, making them a little over $40.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gecko-Premium-RCA-Cable-1-8m-BG-14B-for-good-sound-connection/142167965296?hash=item2119defe70:g:FcMAAOSwImRYGTwg:sc:AU_StandardDelivery!3450!AU!-1

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/FcMAAOSwImRYGTwg/s-l1600.jpg

Edited by stevoz

3 minutes ago, stevoz said:

Lots of 'crazy price' cables being thrown up. I shall throw in a 'value for money' alternative. These Australian made Gecko cables are  a treat and are actually affordable (for everyone). Turn your nose up at your own peril.....under $50 delivered.👌

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gecko-Premium-RCA-Cable-1-8m-BG-14B-for-good-sound-connection/142167965296?hash=item2119defe70:g:FcMAAOSwImRYGTwg:sc:AU_StandardDelivery!3450!AU!-1

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/FcMAAOSwImRYGTwg/s-l1600.jpg

For the price of a new record, it's pretty hard not be tempted just to see! 

4 minutes ago, stevoz said:

Lots of 'crazy price' cables being thrown up. I shall throw in a 'value for money' alternative. These Australian made Gecko cables are  a treat and are actually affordable (for everyone). Turn your nose up at your own peril.....under $50 delivered.👌

Looks great.  Isn't 1.8m too long between TT and PhonoPre?

30 minutes ago, Spider27 said:

Looks great.  Isn't 1.8m too long between TT and PhonoPre?

Yeah, even though I recommended it, I'd prefer 1m or less actually. My JIB cable b/w TT and phono is 1m.👍

Unfortunately Gecko doesn't appear to make these RCA cables shorter than 1.8m.

Edited by stevoz

I like to keep my turntable at a distance from other electronics.

I got a cable installed by AudioOrigami when he tested/upgraded my Ittok LVII--sorry, I can't remember the specifics but he was quite happy to make a custom length.

Various quality RCA cables here: 1 x 1m Osborn + 2 x Belden 1m & 1.5m.

Edited by stevoz

31 minutes ago, stevoz said:

Various quality RCA cables here: 1 x 1m Osborn + 2 x Belden 1m & 1.5m.

As I mentioned in the original post, I've had Belden 8402 rotated in and out of my system both in tube and solid state set ups and always noticed a loss in detail and detail smearing. My Chameleon and Shawline leave it for dead unfortunately so I sold my two Beldens despite a few blogs touting it as the second coming of christ (along with Duelund DCA16GA which I also have 😔). The Belden is ok for the money, not class leading imo. The Duelund speaker lead is actually quite good if dialled in to the right set up. It's not lacking in detail per se, but it is a much softer signature which is common to tinned copper. If you were tiring of a bright very forward system Duelund would work very well. 

Just ordered the Gecko rca to 3.5mm 3m cable at under $25 gotta be worth a punt.

4 hours ago, BLAH BLAH said:

4 hours ago, Spider27 said:

They have named each of their cables funny way and I love their sense of humour...

Great names and instead of 'Specifications' they've put 'The boring stuff' 😄 .......and nicely priced cables as well.👍

Edited by stevoz

Guest Muon N'

Just another type of marketing that appeals to part or the market.

I really don't get it.

Unless names like superhero or vigilante improve the sound,or at least the perception that anything with names likes these must be special. If people want cheap, cheerful, good quality  and great value , buy some Mogami.

19 hours ago, Batty said:

Just ordered the Gecko rca to 3.5mm 3m cable at under $25 gotta be worth a punt.

Let me know your thoughts on the performance when it arrives? Will this be connected to turntable or cd/streaming? 

Tablet to pre amp

7 minutes ago, Batty said:

Tablet to pre amp

Tablet? 

Samsung Galaxy S3

2 hours ago, Batty said:

Samsung Galaxy S3

Can we call it 'the Spotify cable'?😄

18 hours ago, rantan said:

I really don't get it.

Unless names like superhero or vigilante improve the sound,or at least the perception that anything with names likes these must be special. If people want cheap, cheerful, good quality  and great value , buy some Mogami.

I'm pretty sure they're referring to the NO BS part of the cable name. And these are cheap, cheerful, good quality, and great value in my opinion.

OK, fair enough. At those prices I guess there isn't much downside.

3 hours ago, Batty said:

Samsung Galaxy S3

Ah I should have read the 3.5mm part. 

I recently rewired both of my Technics SL1200 MK2 tables, but I took the DIY route. I tracked down some ultra low capacitance double shielded figure 8 with an included earth as a moulded in but electrically isolated cable in the center of the pair. I use Neutric Rean RCA connectors, and it works and sounds excellent. The cable I found was end of production / no more stock coming, so I bought 30 meters (and stashed the 27 meters or so of the unused rest for future use) as it was knocked down from over $8 per meter to $0.42 per meter.

I also lucked out locally not long after on 80 meters of ultra high-quality low capacitance dual shielded cable (what was left on a 100 meter drum) for $40 so I grabbed that too and have been making my own luxury quality interconnects, again with the incredible Neutric Rean RCA connectors.  A meter long fantastic quality low capacitance interconnect therefore costs me about $15 and easily rivals pre-made ones costing up to a couple of hundred dollars. I gave a mate about 20 meters for him to roll his own too.

All I am missing is the label cachet and bragging rights it seems....

Edited by norman