Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
dles1972

Advice on decent RCA interconnect for turntable

Recommended Posts

Evening guys, 

 

Just looking for some recommendations for affordable rca interconnect specifically for turntable usage. 

 

I'm using a Pro-ject The Classic with Nagaoka MP-200 into a Marantz PM8005 amplifier. 

I've struggled with a few different cable options over the last 18 months and still not quite happy. The supplied cable with the Pro-Ject The Classic is dead quiet noise wise, detailed but pretty lacking in body. I the went with Belden 8402 which again was quiet, good body but lacking a fair bit of detail. I've liked Chord Company Chameleon for my DAC/transport and streaming but this cable is definitely not suitable for turntables, massive amount of interference and noise. Tried Chord Company Shawline which is "turntable ready" according to their website and is def better suited than Chameleon but still a little interference and hum and to me has a sibilant treble in some circumstances, but the detail and punch and bass is great for me........but can't live with the sibilance I'm experiencing. 

 

I'm looking for any user advice on good experiences with turntable cable with good shield properties at a reasonable price, say around $300 or less depending on performance preferably with good bass and punch and controlled highs especially sibilance. 

 

Keen to here any recommendations 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check aurealis , im.using one of his phono t%t cables, dead quiet a d sounds good imho 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, cafe67 said:

Check aurealis , im.using one of his phono t%t cables, dead quiet a d sounds good imho 

Would that be the be the standard phono cables around $170. Was looking at that today. Have bought Duelund speaker cable from hime before actually 

 

image.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Muon N'

I fitted one from Aurealis Audio when I had my SR-838 and had nice results also, and his cables skills have matured since then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


14 minutes ago, dles1972 said:

Would that be the be the standard phono cables around $170. Was looking at that today. Have bought Duelund speaker cable from hime before actually 

 

image.jpg

I went for this one , I also use his r1 dragon in xlr and Litz 201 speakers 

 

 

image.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd suggest you email Geoff @aurealis directly and let him know your specific requirements. His service is amazingly refreshing. 

Edited by Jebediah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, Jebediah said:

I'd suggest you email Geoff @aurealis directly and let him know your specific requirements. His service is amazingly refreshing. 

That's a good idea. Get his advice based on the sound signature I want to keep. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A cable I’ve had good success with is Van den Hal’s THE ISIS.

 

Capacitance at 75pF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

A cable I’ve had good success with is Van den Hal’s THE ISIS.

 

Capacitance at 75pF

Thanks......what's the overall characteristics of The Isis sound signature and detail wise? Could be an easy audition for me as I'm near Carlton Audio who generally lend me a few options

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought Blue Jeans LC1 in the 2foot length, very low capacitance cables.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Guest Muon N'

High capacitance can be an issue with MM and MI cartridges, though pretty much a non issue with MC carts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

another Blue Jeans LC1 user here.  have them as all my interconnects and am very satisfied.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ozflyer has a van den Hul the valley very cheap. I use VDH the hill (higher up, sale series) for a Dynavector p75mkiv (from Rega p6) into the preamp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


One more vote for Aurealis. I replaced the old ,original phono cable  on my Pioneer PL 50 with the Aurealis phono cable pictured above and the improvement is obvious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, rantan said:

One more vote for Aurealis. I replaced the old ,original phono cable  on my Pioneer PL 50 with the Aurealis phono cable pictured above and the improvement is obvious.

Aurealis is looking high on my radar at this stage 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those who use BJ LC-1, what ground wire do you use if you don't mind asking?  I guess that BJ LC-1 is RCA interconnect without ground wire.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ground wire just needs to be an insulated wire.  It doesn't carry any audio signal, it just needs to make a connection.  A cheap+nasty ground wire will have exactly the same l as an esoteric wire's performance. 

 

If you want to spend mega-bucks on a ground wire I can sell you one, but you would be wasting your money making a highly valuable contribution to small business enterprise to kick-start the country's my economy.   😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Spider27 said:

For those who use BJ LC-1, what ground wire do you use if you don't mind asking?  I guess that BJ LC-1 is RCA interconnect without ground wire.  

i used the ground wire that came in with my TT but you can also buy nice ground wires from ebay with the spaded ends or and i'll duck as i say this, i've actually used an old thin copper am aerial type wire in the past and it worked absolutely fine.  As mentioned above, it just needs to make a connection...

 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Turntable-Earth-Ground-Wire-1-metre/283579101520?hash=item4206a1b150:g:usYAAOSwIK9dUmiw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, audiofeline said:

The ground wire just needs to be an insulated wire.  It doesn't carry any audio signal, it just needs to make a connection.  A cheap+nasty ground wire will have exactly the same l as an esoteric wire's performance. 

 

If you want to spend mega-bucks on a ground wire I can sell you one, but you would be wasting your money making a highly valuable contribution to small business enterprise to kick-start the country's my economy.   😊

Thanks for your honesty and feedback.  :) 

 

3 minutes ago, 08Boss302 said:

i used the ground wire that came in with my TT but you can also buy nice ground wires from ebay with the spaded ends or and i'll duck as i say this, i've actually used an old thin copper am aerial type wire in the past and it worked absolutely fine.  As mentioned above, it just needs to make a connection...

 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Turntable-Earth-Ground-Wire-1-metre/283579101520?hash=item4206a1b150:g:usYAAOSwIK9dUmiw

 

Great. Do you attach this to RCA interconnect with duct tape so they are held together or run as completely separate wire?  The functions are same but wondering how others manage their ground wire..  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just connect it as it is, some are joined, mine is not. Dont think it makes any difference. If you decide to go with Blue Jeans, you can order with techflex which is like a mesh that the interconnects are running through, if you wanted to you could run the ground wire through there also - i dont tho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 08Boss302 said:

I just connect it as it is, some are joined, mine is not. Dont think it makes any difference. If you decide to go with Blue Jeans, you can order with techflex which is like a mesh that the interconnects are running through, if you wanted to you could run the ground wire through there also - i dont tho.

Thanks for the tip. I googled it and found that it is nylon mesh. I have this material at home so might use it to group together to make them neater.

 

649332185_large_f104c7b76334c92c9911a8a1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...