Sign in to follow this  
vong

LS50 + Powernode 2i vs LS50W

Hi all,

May be looking into upgrading my small system and have had my eyes on the LS50W and just saw Kef has a promotion going on with Bluesound. Saving about $400 with the promotion, without it the passive system costs about the same as the active system. What are your thoughts? I've read that the LS50W's sound much better than the LS50 and apparently it's picky with it's amplification.

Geez, have just now seen kef also has a promotion going in with the ls50 wireless where you get $500 off making it cheaper than the passive combo.

Gotta go active, the ls50 is a tough match for most amplifiers.

Active versions are typically best as the manufacturer will precisely match the amps to the drivers and will have DSP integrated as well to get the best performance. I have not heard the LS50w, but the Meridian active speakers I have experienced are amazing. 

The big negative is if you like to churn or update your gear then you can't just change the amp or the speaker or the DAC or the cables...... etc

LS50W at that price, no question.

You would need a heck of an amp to drive the passive’s to the performance of the LS50W. And I think the power node is nowhere near good enough to achieve that result.

The convenience and lack of clutter of the LS50W is also a  big consideration.

3 hours ago, vong said:

Hi all,

May be looking into upgrading my small system and have had my eyes on the LS50W and just saw Kef has a promotion going on with Bluesound. Saving about $400 with the promotion, without it the passive system costs about the same as the active system. What are your thoughts? I've read that the LS50W's sound much better than the LS50 and apparently it's picky with it's amplification.

Where are you seeing the promotions?

Agree with @Ray H for the simpler setup and matched amps to the speakers  LS50W most definitely.

With the LS50 passive price down to $1250 there is more cash to throw at the amp but several hundred $ probably still isn’t enough. A used $1k amp that was once $3k or more may bring it closer to the LS50W

Edited by Al.M

Alright looks like I'll grab the wireless set. Any recommendations for a sub to match? Honestly not looking at spending thousands on one. Maybe $1500 at the most. 1 feature I'd really like is an auto on/off and I'd like to try a sealed sub

Edited by vong

6 hours ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Where are you seeing the promotions?

It just popped up on the side of the webpage when i was browsing around. Lucky catch i guess.

See if you can get a vaf platform 2 subwoofer, a nice big sealed sub.

1 hour ago, warweary said:

See if you can get a vaf platform 2 subwoofer, a nice big sealed sub.

Dont have room for that lol the mpb sw2 looks like a nice unit though. Never heard of vaf though, good company?

Vaf are an excellent south aussie hifi brand. I have two mpb sw2's on my desktop system and they do the trick but two sw2 is not as good as one platform2 imho.

Lol i’d imagine. The sw2’s must be tiny looking at the dimensions.

They're a dense little sub, I had mine custom painted in green by Vaf.