Trevor Lees Audio Valve Preamplifier - Looking for info

I was searching for a valve preamplifier  to match with my McIntosh 240. Recently found this odd looking unit with someone I know . He was using it only very occasionally and was happy to sell it. Anyway I decided to give it a try. Seller said its a Trevor Lees Audio valve preamplifer. Unfortunately he don't have much detail info about this unit. 

- There are only very few switches on the front panel without any labels ( Separate volume controls for left and right channel & two switches with unknown functionality)

- It seems like there are four AUX inputs and one Phono input. 

- Caps I could see are Sprague, Seimens, Wonder Cap (Ultima series with Danor).

- Valves from right to left - Zaerix ECC88, Sylvania 6SL7, Zaerix 6DJ8, Zaerix 6DJ8, Zaerix 6DJ8.

- Not sure which make is the volume pot. 

- It has got a separate power supply unit ( Power supply unit is a bit noisy when switched on ).

Anyone else here using the same preamplifier (Will be helpful for me to gather more info on this) ?

Pictures 

20191105_001220.thumb.jpg.ccffb0a029fd5854c62f0c91127f8176.jpg

20191105_001216.thumb.jpg.f588ada73a5d66e7823fcce170a90cf6.jpg

20191105_001208.thumb.jpg.cd041a8a32a79d3b454af8374c9e6641.jpg

20191105_001033.thumb.jpg.fb68c65ce34eb8626f99e29ba1a5c3f7.jpg

20191105_003531.thumb.jpg.7a9920cb0b802875fe4fc4daee7391ed.jpg

20191105_003553.thumb.jpg.f5440f22a383034c5958ac4d7a4ea644.jpg

20191105_003541.thumb.jpg.c95768f4501a223e6f793c26c0a3d20e.jpg

20191105_003720.thumb.jpg.b8ea9cf471c554e28219d772ba370c70.jpg

20191105_003641.thumb.jpg.87edae217928f0857723fe153553664f.jpg

20191105_003618.thumb.jpg.59a626b9511a1b5241619a8e80b580cd.jpg

20191105_002144.thumb.jpg.49b7714c2f560aa2f9f8a52e4b98314e.jpg

20191105_002757.thumb.jpg.b58ffc97bc1edfc003288fcd316ce92e.jpg

I tried connecting it to my McIntosh 240 and it sounds good. I'm sure it has got a lot of space for further improvement.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

20191105_002536.jpg

Edited by Guest

I owned this model from Trevor Lees for some two decades and was very happy with it. It is his version of a classic 4-tube preamplifier circuit, using 6DJ8/6922/ECC88 tubes (interchangeable); dual-mono construction (2 separate channels); massive power supplies and premium tubes. I had the model with the clear black acrylic top--you could meditate at night on the glowing valves within. Allen Wright had a FVP (Four Valve Preamplifier) preamp too at this time which was popular. Simple circuits, well-executed.

In this era I remember that Trevor L was attempting to duplicate/clone classic pieces of hi-fi gear, such as the Proac Response 2 speakers and ribbon speakers, and some electronics. This preamp was one product of this drive. He certainly had a lot of enthusiasm and flair. I thought of the result as the poor man's high end in Oz. His shop was where the fun was.

The 2 knobs are L and R volume controls. One advantage there is that you can do a little channel balancing if you have a weird room. The phono section accommodated my Sumiko Blue Point (high output MM) and had plenty of gain. I can't recall which switch engaged the phono but there's very few switches to choose from...

The tubes in the photos look original; I ended up using all Telefunken NOS in my model as these were the best sounding ones I had tried up to that point AND in the 1980's were not too expensive! I recall that the Zaerix type came with the preamp--and sounded very good. It's a great platform for tube rolling but that expensive hobby has its limitations and diminishing rewards, as I discovered. Nevertheless you can pick up this tube easily even today (I prefer NOS types myself. Especially Mullard and Brimar).

I recall the sound fondly. It was clear and clean without any gross sins of commission (doing things wrong) and resembled the 'Audio Research house sound' to me (at that time). It did great tone and timbre so I didn't feel like I was missing anything in my system. I forgot about hifi and just listened to the music (remember those days?). It certainly got the best out of my Perreaux 2200B amp running into Celestion 600 speakers. Later I upgraded to the VTL 75/75 running into the Martin Logan CLS. I replaced the preamplifier in due course with a Kebschull 150 model--and that was a real upgrade. Nevertheless, I spent many, many happy musical hours thanks to this Trevor Lees preamp. It was reliable and I ran it for many thousands of hours.

There was one incident when the system was playing and a certain retailer was poking around in the innards of the preamp checking something. He received a nasty electrical shock but I don't think it was a fault of manufacturing. Just noting.

The power supply is not noisy at all--so obviously a service is in order, with attention to the caps (some of which may need replacing by now) and contacts. You *don't* want nasties coursing through your system.

On another occasion I schlepped the massive box containing the power supply and the preamp together to the Mascot airport check-in as I was taking it to Melbourne from Sydney for a service. I didn't want to entrust the delicate innards to the tender mercies of a courier. To give you an idea of the times prior to strict airline security, I actually talked my way onto the flight as there was an empty seat next to me that would hold the box!!  Try that today...now I'm feeling old.

Hope this helps.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Good ol' Trev was a very smart fellow - with an excellent design pedigree.  :thumb:  (Well, maybe more "an excellent implementation pedigree" - given Dougie says this is his implementation of "a classic 4-tube preamplifier circuit ".)

I enjoyed my conversations with Trev.  :)

Andy

• Like 1

On 05/11/2019 at 8:08 AM, doogie44 said:

I owned this model from Trevor Lees for some two decades and was very happy with it. It is his version of a classic 4-tube preamplifier circuit, using 6DJ8/6922/ECC88 tubes (interchangeable); dual-mono construction (2 separate channels); massive power supplies and premium tubes. I had the model with the clear black acrylic top--you could meditate at night on the glowing valves within. Allen Wright had a FVP (Four Valve Preamplifier) preamp too at this time which was popular. Simple circuits, well-executed.

In this era I remember that Trevor L was attempting to duplicate/clone classic pieces of hi-fi gear, such as the Proac Response 2 speakers and ribbon speakers, and some electronics. This preamp was one product of this drive. He certainly had a lot of enthusiasm and flair. I thought of the result as the poor man's high end in Oz. His shop was where the fun was.

The 2 knobs are L and R volume controls. One advantage there is that you can do a little channel balancing if you have a weird room. The phono section accommodated my Sumiko Blue Point (high output MM) and had plenty of gain. I can't recall which switch engaged the phono but there's very few switches to choose from...

The tubes in the photos look original; I ended up using all Telefunken NOS in my model as these were the best sounding ones I had tried up to that point AND in the 1980's were not too expensive! I recall that the Zaerix type came with the preamp--and sounded very good. It's a great platform for tube rolling but that expensive hobby has its limitations and diminishing rewards, as I discovered. Nevertheless you can pick up this tube easily even today (I prefer NOS types myself. Especially Mullard and Brimar).

I recall the sound fondly. It was clear and clean without any gross sins of commission (doing things wrong) and resembled the 'Audio Research house sound' to me (at that time). It did great tone and timbre so I didn't feel like I was missing anything in my system. I forgot about hifi and just listened to the music (remember those days?). It certainly got the best out of my Perreaux 2200B amp running into Celestion 600 speakers. Later I upgraded to the VTL 75/75 running into the Martin Logan CLS. I replaced the preamplifier in due course with a Kebschull 150 model--and that was a real upgrade. Nevertheless, I spent many, many happy musical hours thanks to this Trevor Lees preamp. It was reliable and I ran it for many thousands of hours.

There was one incident when the system was playing and a certain retailer was poking around in the innards of the preamp checking something. He received a nasty electrical shock but I don't think it was a fault of manufacturing. Just noting.

The power supply is not noisy at all--so obviously a service is in order, with attention to the caps (some of which may need replacing by now) and contacts. You *don't* want nasties coursing through your system.

On another occasion I schlepped the massive box containing the power supply and the preamp together to the Mascot airport check-in as I was taking it to Melbourne from Sydney for a service. I didn't want to entrust the delicate innards to the tender mercies of a courier. To give you an idea of the times prior to strict airline security, I actually talked my way onto the flight as there was an empty seat next to me that would hold the box!!  Try that today...now I'm feeling old.

Hope this helps.

Thankyou very much for a detailed writing. I really enjoyed reading it. 

Seems like I should start with fixing power supply, new valves and checking capacitors. Also,  I'm planning to move both the preamplifier and power supply to a new thick aluminium case with all switches  and input/output marked using laser etching. I think replacing those volume pots with better ones will also benefit the sound. 

On 05/11/2019 at 10:17 AM, proftournesol said:

I've also had one, I agree with all the above comments. From the look of the knobs, the pictured one is an early production, later ones had larger and more aesthetic knobs

On 05/11/2019 at 6:05 PM, andyr said:

Good ol' Trev was a very smart fellow - with an excellent design pedigree.  :thumb:  (Well, maybe more "an excellent implementation pedigree" - given Dougie says this is his implementation of "a classic 4-tube preamplifier circuit ".)

I enjoyed my conversations with Trev.  :)

Andy

Thankyou very much for your reply Michael & Andy.

20191105_001033.thumb.jpg.4cf814f7a70ea8571386cc1ffa1bb939.jpg

There are no markings at the rear panel. I guess the input RCA jacks in gold colour near to the ground terminal is the phono input.  Also, at the front panel one switch on top enables all AUX input together and second switch at bottom enables the phono input.  Its confusing as there are no markings for the switches and input/output RCA jacks.

Looking at inside I think two set of RCA jacks on the left side (in above photo) are two different outputs and all other ones are inputs. If so it should be three AUX inputs and one phono input. Correct me if I'm wrong. Anyone of you remember how it is done with those switches and connections at rear?

Edited by Guest

Unfortunately I'm guessing but my recall is that the inputs I had were labelled. I was a hi-fi newbie and I had few issues. It won't take much to discover the phono input as it would be the only one to produce sound from the turntable output leads. The rest are 'interchangeable' as I recall.

You have correctly designated the back panel as far as I can remember.

Is Trevor L. still around in the flesh? I saw him in his shop through the window about 10 years ago

22 hours ago, doogie44 said:

Unfortunately I'm guessing but my recall is that the inputs I had were labelled. I was a hi-fi newbie and I had few issues. It won't take much to discover the phono input as it would be the only one to produce sound from the turntable output leads. The rest are 'interchangeable' as I recall.

You have correctly designated the back panel as far as I can remember.

Is Trevor L. still around in the flesh? I saw him in his shop through the window about 10 years ago

Unfortunately I don't have a turntable at present to test the phono as I have sold all of them. Thought of going for something special latter.

My be this preamplifier is a very early one from the time he made some sample units and he didn't put any markings on case. 

5 hours ago, Herbyj said:

Yes, Trevor is still around, he has a shop in Glenferrie Rd, Hawthorn.

Maybe go and see him there, take the preamp and label the inputs/outputs and the switches.

Herby

3 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

Shop has long gone and Trevor now resides in Sydney from what I understand.

Seller of this preamplifier said Trevor closed his shop but its still stacked with heaps of audio gears. 

I'm thinking about transferring the preamplifier and power supply into a new case.  Thinking about the case in below link for preamplifier.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32794647874.html?dp=5306333fac8a28fce632a2a68c8cd3bf&af=879988&cv=47843&afref=&mall_affr=pr3&dp=5306333fac8a28fce632a2a68c8cd3bf&af=879988&cv=47843&afref=&mall_affr=pr3&aff_platform=aaf&cpt=1573176888062&sk=VnYZvQVf&aff_trace_key=74d106fedbff4ebabaaa6c7926fbf8f5-1573176888062-00406-VnYZvQVf&terminal_id=78b7bcbc3d7641258955c51983b85e10

Will be good if I can get all switches, inputs and outputs marked using laser engraving. The input selector looks odd in this one, so adding a relay based input selector will be good option to make things more straight forward. Will replace the existing volume pots with good quality ones. 

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, HiFi-Man said:

I'm thinking about transferring the preamplifier and power supply into a new case.  Thinking about the case in below link for preamplifier.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32794647874.html?dp=5306333fac8a28fce632a2a68c8cd3bf&af=879988&cv=47843&afref=&mall_affr=pr3&dp=5306333fac8a28fce632a2a68c8cd3bf&af=879988&cv=47843&afref=&mall_affr=pr3&aff_platform=aaf&cpt=1573176888062&sk=VnYZvQVf&aff_trace_key=74d106fedbff4ebabaaa6c7926fbf8f5-1573176888062-00406-VnYZvQVf&terminal_id=78b7bcbc3d7641258955c51983b85e10

Will be good if I can get all switches, inputs and outputs marked using laser engraving. The input selector looks odd in this one, so adding a relay based input selector will be good option to make things more straight forward. Will replace the existing volume pots with good quality ones. 

A cheap - but very basic enclosure.  You also might like to consider Trev's reason for using a separate case for the PS - putting it all into one case might result in hum/noise?

I use these guys:  https://modushop.biz/site/

They can drill and engrave - but you have to provide them with a '.dxf' file (for their CNC machine).  :)

Andy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andyr said:

A cheap - but very basic enclosure.  You also might like to consider Trev's reason for using a separate case for the PS - putting it all into one case might result in hum/noise?

I use these guys:  https://modushop.biz/site/

They can drill and engrave - but you have to provide them with a '.dxf' file (for their CNC machine).  :)

Andy

Thankyou for the modushop link. I will check it.

I will never put both power supply and preamplifier into single case. Sorry,  I didn't mention it clearly in my previous post. Two major factors attracted me to try this unit is i) Separated power supply ii) Left and right volume controls avoiding balance control. Love the minimalistic design for short signal path. 

I'm struggling to find a case for this preamplifier. Because the single PCB on which most of the components are mounted is 420mm wide. So the new case should have a minimum of 420+mm width available inside. 

Or else the next option is to separate the valves and big capacitors from the PCB,  get them mounted separately inside. Then the remaining components needs to be incorporated into a more compact PCB layout. Doing this way it will be perfect. But my worry is the labour cost of a tech to get this done :o .

What is your opinion on adding a relay based input selector to the unit?  If it will degrade the sound quality anyway? 

9 hours ago, HiFi-Man said:

Thankyou for the modushop link. I will check it.

I'm struggling to find a case for this preamplifier. Because the single PCB on which most of the components are mounted is 420mm wide. So the new case should have a minimum of 420+mm width available inside.

Aah - not sure any Modushop cases are that wide.  ('Slim Line' are only 415 wide.  :( )  But just looking on their web-site at the 'Pesante' - they are (internal) 430mm!  :)

I can create the .dxf files for you, if you're not confident doing them yourself.

9 hours ago, HiFi-Man said:

What is your opinion on adding a relay based input selector to the unit?  If it will degrade the sound quality anyway? 

I think it would be an excellent idea.  Using gas-filled relays such as the NAIS DS4E will give you a much better connection than any rotary switch.

Andy

Edited by andyr

The Lee brothers are still trading as I bought from them just recently & they sent it to me in Adelaide from Hawthorn.

They are also still selling audio on ebay as they have always done under Christopher's, name  "christophersaudiophilestore", & currently have a number of items listed. 

Trevor's amps have always been rather agriculture in appearance but that in no way indicates their performance which in my experience has always been exceptional.   Labeling  was commonly just pieces of Dynamo tape so has probably come unstuck & lost over the years.

Edited by Rockman

On 09/11/2019 at 9:48 AM, andyr said:

Aah - not sure any Modushop cases are that wide.  ('Slim Line' are only 415 wide.  :( )  But just looking on their web-site at the 'Pesante' - they are (internal) 430mm!  :)

I can create the .dxf files for you, if you're not confident doing them yourself.

I think it would be an excellent idea.  Using gas-filled relays such as the NAIS DS4E will give you a much better connection than any rotary switch.

Andy

Thankyou very much for your support Andy. It will be a great help if I could get your help in preparing .dxf file. 

Now I'm preparing for the move from Melbourne to Adelaide. Will PM you once I got the the plan and a rough sketch is made.

Thanks again :)

Sorry for the late reply. I was a bit disappointed  last few days as two of my other units got into some trouble as it went into the hands of a wrong person.  Was trying to get them all done before moving to Adelaide.

Edited by Guest

9 hours ago, Rockman said:

The Lee brothers are still trading as I bought from them just recently & they sent it to me in Adelaide from Hawthorn.

They are also still selling audio on ebay as they have always done under Christopher's, name  "christophersaudiophilestore", & currently have a number of items listed. 

Trevor's amps have always been rather agriculture in appearance but that in no way indicates their performance which in my experience has always been exceptional.   Labeling  was commonly just pieces of Dynamo tape so has probably come unstuck & lost over the years.

Yes, they are active in ebay but I'm not sure if their shop is open in Hawthorn. I agree, its appearance has no relation to its performance, love this unit. 

Initially I sent a message to Trevor through his facebook page asking more info on this preamplifier and received reply from him yesterday. 

He sent me the info saying those switches in front panel does switching ON/OFF for AUX and Phono.  This preamplifier has got a moving coil phono input with a high level stage.  Out of two outputs one is for power amplifier and the other for tape. He asked me to give him a call for more information.

1 hour ago, HiFi-Man said:

Thankyou very much for your support Andy. It will be a great help if I could get your help in preparing .dxf file.

NP. HFM!  :)

Now I'm preparing for the move from Melbourne to Adelaide.

To Adelaide:(  My commiserations.  :winky:

31 minutes ago, HiFi-Man said:

Initially I sent a message to Trevor through his facebook page asking more info on this preamplifier and received reply from him yesterday. 

He sent me the info saying those switches in front panel does switching ON/OFF for AUX and Phono.

Tell him you've got Andy Redwood assisting you.  :)

Andy

Edited by andyr

On 13/11/2019 at 3:34 PM, andyr said:

NP. HFM!  :)

To Adelaide:(  My commiserations.  :winky:

Tell him you've got Andy Redwood assisting you.  :)

Andy

Sure :)

• 2 weeks later...

Talked to Trevor and finally met Chris from Trevor Lees Audio at their office in Hawthorn,  Melbourne. 

- This unit has got 3 high level(AUX) input and one MC phono input. 

- Input impedance is set at the terminals with a fixed resistor ( Can be anything from 10 ohms and up to suit the cartridge. .3mv and up is a suitable output for the MC stage)  

- Two switches on left are for selecting the input. Centre position is off, up and down positions on each selects different inputs.

- 12AX7 valve can be used instead of 6SL7 valve by using an adaptor. 

- Originally there is a front panel and it is missing in the unit I have. They may have the front panel in their storage. 

Will get this unit and power supply fully checked and serviced by Trevor Lees Audio :) 

Edited by Guest

I w

21 hours ago, HiFi-Man said:

- Originally there is a front panel and it is missing in the unit I have. They may have the front panel in their storage...

I was going to suggest rather than getting an entire new case to consider getting a front panel made and fix it to the front. 

For the back panel I would update the rca's with good quality new sockets.  Get a piece of perspex and cut holes to match the rca sockets.  Laser print a sheet of paper with the rca socket names in position (white text on a black background) , cut to the size of the perspex and cut the socket holes, and fix this sandwich to the chassis with the rca sockets (I hope I've explained this OK). 

Here's a pic of one of Trevor's other preamps (from an SNA ad).  The design of all his amp cases was similar - a bit clunky and never truly reflecting the quality of the electronics.  Even if they can find an original front plate, you might be better designing and making your own.

Front-ZFB1_2.jpg

Edited by audiofeline
  • Like 1

I had a few of his preamps over the years and they are fantastic. The positive Vibrations and the later ZFB1. I also had some front panels remade out of Milled Black Aluminium or reverse engraved plastic. Trevor may have a few lying around, I gave him 3-4. Had many fun hours at both his Kew places aswell as Hawthorn. His speakers are also fantastic value. 

• 1 month later...
On 27/11/2019 at 5:00 PM, audiofeline said:

I w

I was going to suggest rather than getting an entire new case to consider getting a front panel made and fix it to the front. 

For the back panel I would update the rca's with good quality new sockets.  Get a piece of perspex and cut holes to match the rca sockets.  Laser print a sheet of paper with the rca socket names in position (white text on a black background) , cut to the size of the perspex and cut the socket holes, and fix this sandwich to the chassis with the rca sockets (I hope I've explained this OK). 

Here's a pic of one of Trevor's other preamps (from an SNA ad).  The design of all his amp cases was similar - a bit clunky and never truly reflecting the quality of the electronics.  Even if they can find an original front plate, you might be better designing and making your own.

Front-ZFB1_2.jpg

On 01/12/2019 at 3:12 PM, naggots said:

I had a few of his preamps over the years and they are fantastic. The positive Vibrations and the later ZFB1. I also had some front panels remade out of Milled Black Aluminium or reverse engraved plastic. Trevor may have a few lying around, I gave him 3-4. Had many fun hours at both his Kew places aswell as Hawthorn. His speakers are also fantastic value. 

Thankyou everyone, from your posts I realised the unit is missing the front panel :)

Anyway, I have contacted Trevor. He was happy to give all info about this unit and get the unit checked.

Met his brother Chris in Melbourne....Yes, Trevor Lees Audio office store is still open in Hawthorn near Glenferrie. station.

Chirs helped me to get the unit fully checked and serviced. Also provided a front panel for both the preamplifier and poser supply.

They have got one more same unit sitting in their storage. So if anyone interested do contact Trevor or Chris. 

Compared the sound from power supply and found its same on both the units and he said its normal. 

At home it was a bit noisy because there was no bushes at the bottom. Chris suggested I can try 12ax7 valve in the place of 6SL7 by using adaptor to get it fitted.

I think it will be good if I'm replacing those two volume pots with good ones. I'm planning to stay with this case for now and plan for a new case slowly in future. Will post photo of the unit here 

And it sounds nice. 

Edited by Guest

When upgrading the volume pots I'd also consider replacing the RCA sockets with good quality ones (I have used Rean/Neutrik, but you can get more exotic/expensive than those).  It's an easy and relatively affordable upgrade.