Poweramp - android music player advanced setup questions

I have been using Poweramp on my android phone for a while, and because of my new headphone amp, I have started to look at the advanced settings for Poweramp.  I have enabled the hi-res output and that made a huge difference.  Now I am looking at it's settings.

The sample rate  can be set from 48 to 384kHz.  It says "Actual sample rate is set by the device" and mine defaults to 192 kHz.   Does this mean that my phone hardware (the "device" ?) prefers 192 kHz?   I can change it, even to 384 kHz, and my initial impression is that it lowers the maximum volume a bit, not a lot else.

I have turned of eq/tone.  You can turn off  DVC,  direct volume control.  Not certain about the pros and cons of this.

Buffer size is set by default to 50ms and there are 2 buffers.  Any point in changing this?

I changed the resampler to the Sox resampler.   One of the settings is for dither, and it is initially set to none.  Choices are Rectangular, Triangular, with or without high pass, F-weighted, various e-weighted and Shibata noise shaping.      Can't hear much difference playing with these. 

So, open to advice on what  best setup ?

• 4 weeks later...

You also should enable Direct Volume Control if your device supports it.

One thing I really wish Poweramp did is automatic sample rate switching. Pretty glaring omission really, they could easily implement it with what the program already does.

On 26/11/2019 at 2:33 PM, b0dhi said:

You also should enable Direct Volume Control if your device supports it.

Yep

On 26/11/2019 at 2:33 PM, b0dhi said:

One thing I really wish Poweramp did is automatic sample rate switching. Pretty glaring omission really, they could easily implement it with what the program already does.

I don't understand this one.  I thought the best thing to do, was to set the software to upsample/resample to the rate used natively by DAC.  The theory being it can be done with better quality by the software (Sox?), than by the DAC, that's why we don't want to send different odd sample rate data to the DAC and force it to resample.

4 hours ago, aussievintage said:

Yep

I don't understand this one.  I thought the best thing to do, was to set the software to upsample/resample to the rate used natively by DAC.  The theory being it can be done with better quality by the software (Sox?), than by the DAC, that's why we don't want to send different odd sample rate data to the DAC and force it to resample.

I was under the impression that the DAC can be switched to different modes like in a normal DAC but it seems you're right. Poweramp will say it's in a particular mode but the DAC might internally be resampling. Yet another audio limitation of Android I guess. Though, it does vary from model to model, apparently some audiophile oriented smartphones do have switchable native sampling rate.

This also explains why I didn't hear any improvement with my high res file and ended up leaving it on 44.1 mode.

Edited by b0dhi

• 1 month later...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 14/01/2020 at 6:48 PM, sandrews888 said:

Try Usb audio player Pro. Superior to power amp in every way and especially sound quality. Unused power amp for years and USB audio player Pro blew me away 

Did you notice a difference with this software in just the phone's audio?