Bruins2011

To Bi-wire or not to Bi-wire?

8 minutes ago, martin64 said:

I have a rotel pre power 15 series with the new pmc and the biggest improvement was not cables but better stands and isolation between them. Altgough speaker cables makes a difference the room treatment makes more sense.

Yep, totally agree, isolation, stands, room treatment all likely to have bigger bang for buck, 

26 minutes ago, frednork said:

Yep, totally agree, isolation, stands, room treatment all likely to have bigger bang for buck, 

Likely? Will mate ;) 100%. Especially if the room is bad right from the start. You're just pushing sh%t uphill all the way.

4 hours ago, Sime said:

Is there any credibility is this concept?

I know that Colin Whatmough was a passionate advocate for bi wiring or tri wiring speakers.  So much so, Whatmough don’t supply the terminal bars with their speakers.  If I remember correctly, his argument was along the same lines that you’re suggesting. That is, different types of wire work best at different parts of the frequency range.  

Makes perfect logical sense to me, because if it didn’t, that would mean that all cable are the same. 

14 hours ago, Sime said:

Is there any credibility is this concept?

Yes, it's what we call "system tuning" and cables are a very important part of that.

13 hours ago, blakey72 said:

I scientific experiment aims to prove the hypothesis wrong, not right.

Indeed.

.... but AQ are not providing a "hypothesis".    They're providing a statement of fact....  with no evidence for why it is true.

You can never entirely prove a hypothesis... This is why "null hypothesis" is typically used.     ie.  You assume that there is no cause/relationship between the things .... and then you attempt to prove that wrong.

ie. AQ would assume that their statement is untrue .... show it to be true .... and then have that evidence to rely on.

The next "gotcha" is .....  "well, we can't expect AQ to give away all their secrets".    Sure, that's an understandable position..... however these areas of electrical and materials science are not particularly esoteric.    If there were things that AQ knew about electrical signals, or materials science that made such a difference to the transmission of a signal..... they would be very well known, as they would be very (!!!) useful in other areas.

I really don't think it particularity matters either as we don't need science to tell us if something sounds good or not.

I can understand this sentiment....  although science also tells you a lot about a few related things, which might make you question what really caused the difference you heard.

Try it and trust your ears

Paradoxically .... I think this is often terrible advice.

18 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

The next "gotcha" is .....  "well, we can't expect AQ to give away all their secrets". 

But they don't need to. All they need to do is show that their claims are true, not how they designed the product. Best still if the claims were verified in an independent lab. As it's not done, it's reasonable to ask why not?

So is the general consensus around these parts Audioquest cables are a ripoff?

Edited by blakey72

11 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

I think you'll find there is no general consensus. There is a binomial distribution with people who say Audioquest cables are fantastic, and those who say they're a rip off. Pretty much the same can be said of all expensive audio cable manufacturers. On average, that makes them average, but of course that doesn't convey the real picture.

12 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

I think you'll find there is no general consensus. There is a binomial distribution with people who say Audioquest cables are fantastic, and those who say they're a rip off. Pretty much the same can be said of all expensive audio cable manufacturers. On average, that makes them average, but of course that doesn't convey the real picture.

Yeah I guess it's just too open for interpretation. I've thought about tinkering with cables to see if there is an improvement. Nothing expensive, less than $200 for an RCA

1 minute ago, blakey72 said:

Yeah I guess it's just too open for interpretation. I've thought about tinkering with cables to see if there is an improvement. Nothing expensive, less than $200 for an RCA

Well that price range is easy in my opinion.

https://www.nbspeakercables.com.au/

I have a few of their products, and even use them in my high end system.

1 minute ago, Ittaku said:

Best cable names ever 😂

1 minute ago, Ittaku said:

Have you been through a few other brands over your journey?

1 minute ago, blakey72 said:

Have you been through a few other brands over your journey?

You could say that, but nothing like other people who swap cables seemingly on a monthly basis. As time's gone on I've spent less and less on cables as a proportion of total cost if that says anything, though I only use the nb cables for my subwoofer so it's not like I'm using dirt cheap cables, but nowhere near the budget others allocate, but no "audiophile" cables at all in the digital or power domain.

6 hours ago, A9X said:

But they don't need to. All they need to do is show that their claims are true.

Indeed.

... but often leads to discuss/disclosure as to the "why" it is true.   Especially when we are talking about such rudimentary things.

2 hours ago, blakey72 said:

Speaking only for myself, yes.