Sign in to follow this  
d_caruso

Van den Hul 3T interconnects - rock, hill, mountain

Has anyone compared The Rock, The Hill and/or The Mountain interconnects by Van den Hul? I would be interested to hear your descriptions of the sonic differences between them.

Hi.

Yes I have. I ended up with the Mountain between my pre-and power and have just sold it (moving to an integrated). I have the Hill for phono-to amp. 

The Hill is the sweet spot IMO, the mountain is marginally better.

They are all quite neutral, with soundstage and bass control in particular better as you go up.

That’s really helpful. Thanks. 
I had auditioned VDH The Second, next to the likes of a Chord Epic, Analysis Plus, Mike Lenehan’s FoilFlex and a few others. I liked the VDH in some ways, especially it’s accuracy and even-handedness, but felt it was just a bit flat and un-involving overall. I am hoping something higher up the 3T chain has a bit more air, finesse and soundstage (a la FoilFlex), along with the neutrality and tight accurate bass of the VDH.
Sounds like the Hill could be worth a listen.

I compared the the Rock and the Mountain XLRs.   The Mountain had a significantly deeper and more engaging soundstage but the Rock was no slouch in this regard.  Cant recall other differences as it was a couple of years ago.  I found the vdh cables to be a good match for my system which can be a bit on the bright side.

23 hours ago, d_caruso said:

That’s really helpful. Thanks. 
I had auditioned VDH The Second, next to the likes of a Chord Epic, Analysis Plus, Mike Lenehan’s FoilFlex and a few others. I liked the VDH in some ways, especially it’s accuracy and even-handedness, but felt it was just a bit flat and un-involving overall. I am hoping something higher up the 3T chain has a bit more air, finesse and soundstage (a la FoilFlex), along with the neutrality and tight accurate bass of the VDH.
Sounds like the Hill could be worth a listen.

I think you’ll be happy.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By denimhunter
      Item:           RCA 2A3 tubes, matched pair black plates
      Price:          $440 pair plus shipping
      Item Condition: excellent
      Reason for selling: surplus
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:

1940’s dual Black plate matched pair RCA 2A3 that I bought a few years ago.  I have never used them not even plug into an amp.

Testing etc from the original listing that should be applicable:

“WWII production RCA Victor 2A3 power triode amplifier tubes.    These are NOS military grade versions of the 2A3 and the boxes are not original.  

They have dark black plates, dual [] or "D" getters for longer life, hanging filaments for low noise potential, large round matching top and bottom mica spacers, and a long center support rod extending the entire length of the tube elements.
      Both tubes have the RCA "sign" with 2A3 stamped into the glass.  Each tube is also base labeled with the iconic RCA logo.

One Tube 1, has the U. S. military inventory code of VT-95 on the base.
      The other Tube has a portion of the RCA military corporate code CRC  on the base along with "2A3".  Just above this labeling, some original military description has been ground off.  

These tubes were tested for mutual/transconductance (Gm), plate current, gas, noise, and shorts on Dan Nelson calibrated TV-7/U tube tester using a digital meter upgrade for greater accuracy.
      The TV-7/U minimum recommended value (65%) for the 2A3 tube is 38 (Gm=1900)
      As pictured left to right with TV-7/U test results, Gm, plate current and date codes/dates:

TV-7/U      Gm      Plate Current    Production code/date
      1.    74        3700          35 mA            S3    May-Jun 1942
      2.    71        3550          36 mA            K1E  Jan-Feb 1943. “

Photos:

• By Gregory13
      Item: Audioquest Wind Balanced XLR Cable 
      Price: $1500
      Item Condition: Like New (9.9/10)
      Reason for selling: No longer used.
      Extra Info: RRP $2280 used for a couple of months. Approximately 100 hours of burn in time so more than ready to go. Super high end upgrade for your system with a nice discount off the retail price. $780 off the retail.

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By Gabehcuod
      Item: Focal Clear + Questyle CMA400i + Questyle stand + 1.2m aurealis 24 gauge litz xlr cable + matching XLR to 2.5m adaptor + 5m audioquest evergreen USB cable.
      Price: $2200 AUD + $100 for postage and paypal fees if delivery needed
      Item Condition: 9/10 - Pads a tiny bit darker than stock but have been regularly cleaned.
      Reason for selling: Introduced to Vintage Stax
      Extra Info:
      The focal clear was originally purchased 24/05/19 (invoice available at request). Both drivers were replaced in the focal clear on 19/10/19 due to rattling in the left driver when playing tracks with low frequency content (rma and image of box available at request). Questyle CMA400i originally purchased 26/08/19 from minidisc (invoice available at request). Questyle Stand originally purchased 14/10/19 from minidisc (invoice available at request). Aurealis cable (UPOCC copper Litz 24 awg. Amphenol 3.5 mm TRS at headphone end, Amphenol 4-pin XLR (AX4M) at source end) Originally Purchased 25/10/19 Aurealis xlr adaptor  (UPOCC copper Litz 24 awg with matching amphenol xlr connector) purchased some time after the regular xlr cable. Invoice unavailable. Audioquest USB cable was purchased soon after the Questyle CMA400i. The Questyle did not come with a stock USB cable.  
      The focal clears have a nice sound-stage. Not artificially wide like the HD800, but not narrow either. It has a laid back and relaxed sound that you can listen to for hours without being fatigued.
      They are quite easy to drive which makes them quite portable, easily runs off a DAP.
      The sound is quite spectacular in this pairing. I spent quite some time demo'ing various amplifiers at minidisc before settling with the CMA400i.
      It has a very beautiful and emotional sound to it, easily driving the clears with its Current mode tech.

Please note, all three of the stock cables broke with audio missing from one channel. Reading online, this was a very common occurrence and frankly the stock cables were extremely irritating to use in the first place.
      New value of this package is $2200 + $1300 + $100 + $355 + $85 + $140 = $4280

Kind Regards,

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By TuThai
      Item: Interconnects Cables RSC Vector 1 (Tara Labs)
      Price: $80
      Item Condition: good condition
      Reason for selling: no more use
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, COD Only

• By Gregory13
      Price: $ 800 +Postage, Paypal fees 4%
      Item Condition: Like New
      Reason for selling: No longer needed
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal.
      Extra Info:
      RRP $1295

Purchased from Addicted to Audio Newtown Sydney.

SOLID 100% PERFECT-SURFACE SILVER (PSS) CONDUCTORS

FEP AIR-TUBE INSULATION (FEP is a Fluoro-Polymer)

DIELECTRIC-BIAS SYSTEM (DBS, US Pat #s 7,126,055 & 7,872,195 B1)

CARBON-BASED 3-LAYER NOISE-DISSIPATION SYSTEM (NDS)

ASYMMETRICAL DOUBLE-BALANCED GEOMETRY

COLD-WELDED DIRECT-SILVER PLATED PURE RED COPPER RCA PLUGS