I got robbed (burgled)

4 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

Hope for the best but I wouldn't put any faith in police doing anything. 

When my motorbike was stolen from Wentworth Point in an underground carpark they didn't even come to collect the footage. Had the thieves on 6 different cameras from multiple buildings and Olympic Park road cams.

Unfortunately my area came under the wrong side of Parra rd being Auburn so they obviously had other priorities.

you still need  to report it to police even if they do nothing.  

• Like 2

A few years back I was up after a night shift having a coffee in my backyard with my dog.  I went back inside and the dog acted really strange, but that was nothing new!  1/2 asleep still, I made another coffee and put a load of washing on.  Went back into bedroom (this is all in a tiny house), and on my bed was one of my guitars, one of our bags with the missus’ laptop/watches/bits and pieces.  I was confused (post night shift haze) - “Geez, I don’t recall playing guitar...”.

The bastard was in the process of cleaning me out when the dog disturbed him.  Thank Christ I didn’t encounter him.  He apparently out the back (spotted by back neighbours).  Didn’t score anything!

Cops were quick, and they knew who it was.  Guys were catching train to my area dressed in “tradie” gear.  They’d doorknock and wait for a house that didn’t answer.  If they did answer, it was the good ‘ol, “Gday love.  Is this 98 or 100 Bla st?  We’re here to check the Bla for Bla Bla.  No?  Oh sorry.”

This is a common modus opperandi for the pricks.

As mentioned, time to photograph all you stuff and serials.  Make sure the pic’s show the gear in-situ (that is, in YOUR house with recognisable surrounds, not just close ups).  Maybe put a little physical label on each item as you go to prove it’s your pic also.

That’s ****.  Yep - sounds targeted.  Ask neighbors if they encountered any “doorknock” dudes lately.  Also Susa any camera possibilities in the st, including dash cams.  Also watch out for repeat offence as mentioned.  Good luck.  May Karma pay them in kind.

• Like 3

Guest Muon N'

Yup, cover all bases including reporting to police, can also help if you contact local cash converters with a list so they can be aware if someone try's to unload it cheaply and quick. They don't like handling stolen good as they can loose out.

Guest Muon N'

I used to have nightmares of this sort of thing when I had a nice collectable TT and sus neighbours.

Hope it gets resolved, and the perp's identified.

Guest Muon N'
2 hours ago, anewmission said:

Yeh I was out for about 3 hours. I had been getting calls on my home phone, when I would answer they would hang up. So the police are looking into that also.

The cabling would have just been ripped out so they could take the equipment faster I guess, as it was going between cabinets and some through the wall.

That's a gang tactic, and why it is a bad move to have a recording saying "you are out leave a message"

A gang in the Northern Rivers NSW area would use the landline in this manner, I had it disconnected and why I haven't had landlines since where ever I live.

They call until there is no answer, then they move in.

Hi anewmisson,

terrible thing to have your home violated. As others have stated I hope you are insured. If so take your time to list all the items stolen, it is surprising what you can forget. Hopefully you have photos of your gear, invaluable when dealing with insurance companies. The difficult part is often being paid out on the value of a CD and record collection which they try and under value.

Should they drag their feet waste no time in contacting the insurance Ombudsman. These guys are like God to insurance companies. Once a complaint is lodged they must act in a very short time period. Record all the times, dates and personnel you deal with at the insurance company and a short summary of what was discussed. Do this from your first contact as it is easy to forget later if the going gets tough.

Try not to focus on conspiracy theory’s. There are no end of professional thieves. They case area’s, send young members around to look in windows and strike at the right moment. I have caught people at my front door with huge sets of keys, 100+, in the backyard pretending to pick fruit and crowbarring tin off the sides of sheds. Suspecting people you know is very bad for your mental health and most likely incorrect.

Hopefully you will have a helpful insurance company and be able to rebuild a better system  distill your collection to the important material and hopefully gain some new exciting music. Along the way it may even be enjoyable re-evaluating your system. It is a terrible thing to endure but as cliched as it sounds better to have been absent and all the family safe. All the best.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Muon N' said:

Very correct, those random opportunistic thefts make up a large part of the statistics Tele's mentioned.

Typical addicts target very easy and quick to exchange items.

It appears you are not very clued up on this area, which is a good thing really :)

I wish it was true that I’m not very clued up. In a former life I had a lot of experience in these matters and have seen thousands of cases. I also analysed and reported on a lot of the statistics in relation to these matters.

Edited by Telecine

Hi anewmisson,

terrible thing to have your home violated. As others have stated I hope you are insured. If so take your time to list all the items stolen, it is surprising what you can forget. Hopefully you have photos of your gear, invaluable when dealing with insurance companies. The difficult part is often being paid out on the value of a CD and record collection which they try and under value.

Should they drag their feet waste no time in contacting the insurance Ombudsman. These guys are like God to insurance companies. Once a complaint is lodged they must act in a very short time period. Record all the times, dates and personnel you deal with at the insurance company and a short summary of what was discussed. Do this from your first contact as it is easy to forget later if the going gets tough.

Try not to focus on conspiracy theory’s. There are no end of professional thieves. They case area’s, send young members around to look in windows and strike at the right moment. I have caught people at my front door with huge sets of keys, 100+, in the backyard pretending to pick fruit and crowbarring tin off the sides of sheds. Suspecting people you know is very bad for your mental health and most likely incorrect.

Hopefully you will have a helpful insurance company and be able to rebuild a better system  distill your collection to the important material and hopefully gain some new exciting music. Along the way it may even be enjoyable re-evaluating your system. It is a terrible thing to endure but as cliched as it sounds better to have been absent and all the family safe. All the best.
Insurance should cover hopefully most things.
I had theives break into my car and steal my cd wallet when I was 17. The insurance company said if I provided all the empty cd cases they would help. So I did and ended up with a 3k cheque for utopia records.. Only to have all the cd's I bought with that stolen last night. Most of which were mint and had never been played.

I just hope if it was people with addiction disorders that they get the help they need.
This country is better than most at recognising addiction as a mental illness, unfortunately some people never seek help and end up doing these sorts of things.

It's sad as I am starting to get abit emotional thinking of the records that I bought and the happiness and times they remind me of.
Some of my collection being left by my grandfather.

Thankyou all for your kind words and support. I will keep my hopes up regarding the where abouts of my equipment and more importantly my collection
  • Like 8

if it was a collection then op would have had it listed in his insurance policy.. people should read their policies as they can vary greatly. many people dont want to pay the premium to insure correctly, that is their problem and why they complain.

a collection is always asked about but people hide it for fear of being "over charged".. can come home to roost.

sometimes a collection can be a large percentage of the total contents insurance amount so the onus is on the insured to correctly value what they are insuring. a collection should be photographed, proof of values and serial numbers recorded.. if not things may become difficult to prove, which is on the insured to be able to do.

fairly sure op would have insured correctly.

• Like 1

Guest jakeyb77
4 hours ago, Telecine said:

If you have a find me capability on any of the devices, turn it on now and provide the location to Police.

Family on the radio did this the other day for an iPhone. Went to the police station with the address and were told to go themselves to discuss. 

Guest jakeyb77

Sorry to hear this happened. 
Luckily I’m a recluse with anger management issues. Also have a dog, nosey neighbours, night vision cameras with phone alert and the like. 
As everyone has said, you have to make sure you insure your treasures.

Always over insure as you don’t realise what you have till you have to add it all up.  
I hope you get an ok outcome mate. 

Edited by jakeyb77

Sorry to hear that. 
In my opinion those  Rel t/5i subwoofers  are most likely to sell quick somewhere. If I was a police I would focus on those 2 subwoofers. 
Years ago I worked as a liaison with the Police on identifying stolen goods , seriously inept at it. Your better off putting alerts on Gumtree , eBay and Facebook yourself.
  • Like 2

if it was a collection then op would have had it listed in his insurance policy.. people should read their policies as they can vary greatly. many people dont want to pay the premium to insure correctly, that is their problem and why they complain.

a collection is always asked about but people hide it for fear of being "over charged".. can come home to roost.
sometimes a collection can be a large percentage of the total contents insurance amount so the onus is on the insured to correctly value what they are insuring. a collection should be photographed, proof of values and serial numbers recorded.. if not things may become difficult to prove, which is on the insured to be able to do.

fairly sure op would have insured correctly.
Yeh you are right, I never thought this would happen in my area

Crappy news! In an ideal world you should be able to leave your house unlocked all the time - unfortunately we aren't in one! 

Didn't notice this suggestion in the thread, but do any neighbours have security cameras that get a glimpse of the street? The front of your house would be better of course. They may have got footage of the van in passing, number plate etc. 

• Like 3

Crappy news! In an ideal world you should be able to leave your house unlocked all the time - unfortunately we aren't in one! 

Didn't notice this suggestion in the thread, but do any neighbours have security cameras that get a glimpse of the street? The front of your house would be better of course. They may have got footage of the van in passing, number plate etc. 

I really doubt it unless neighbours have ip cameras. That is what I am going to buy today actually.

My neighbours on my driveway side are away, I have been collecting their mail.
I really should go check that their place hasn't been burgled also
  • Like 2

I really doubt it unless neighbours have ip cameras. That is what I am going to buy today actually.

I reckon it targeted those speakers are a 2 or 3 person job to move .
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, DEANO23 said:
24 minutes ago, anewmission said:

7 minutes ago, DEANO23 said:
25 minutes ago, anewmission said:

Perhaps it was targeted but cmon mate the speakers weigh 30kg each so one person could lift that weight.

Bad news. For $300 or $400 a wifi alarm would have alerted neighbours and possibly scared them off. I bought a Jaycar one that covers every entrance and all main rooms and it took 30mins to fully install. It also sends you a message to your mobile when there is any disturbance. 

CCTV is useless because most have hoods and masks. An alarm lets them know they are spotted and the neighbours. 

Dont wait to to get hit again in three months which they know by then you have claimed insurance and restocked. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

Bad news. For $300 or $400 a wifi alarm would have alerted neighbours and possibly scared them off. I bought a Jaycar one that covers every entrance and all main rooms and it took 30mins to fully install. It also sends you a message to your mobile when there is any disturbance. 

CCTV is useless because most have hoods and masks. An alarm lets them know they are spotted and the neighbours. 

Dont wait to to get hit again in three months which they know by then you have claimed insurance and restocked. 

Normally when they do strike it’s usually a knock on the door to see if someone  answers.....and when someone do open that door, the  1st thing said: “ looking for Jackie Chan, does he live here? “.    If you open the door and hear  this it should raise alarm bells and be suspicious that this individual(s) are not really looking for Jackie Chan.....      Had this happen in the old neighbourhood many times, were it got to the point where one close neighbour called the police when she saw this group taking out PC and other items and leaving it on the driveway....  Knowing very well the neighbours are not home and have left for work.....

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

Normally when they do strike it’s usually a knock on the door to see if someone  answers.....and when someone do open that door, the  1st thing said: “ looking for Jackie Chan, does he live here? “.    If you open the door and hear  this it should raise alarm bells and be suspicious that this individual(s) are not really looking for Jackie Chan.....      Had this happen in the old neighbourhood many times, were it got to the point where one close neighbour called the police when she saw this group taking out PC and other items and leaving it on the driveway....  Knowing very well the neighbours are not home and have left for work.....

Getting neighbours on side and watching is a good step. And let them know about your alarm. Also help them all to install theirs.   

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about this.

Will keep an eye out.

As for special listings on your insurance policies, I asked my company about all my guitars and other equipment and they said there was no need if it totalled under 50k (I think it was) and I just needed a list and serial numbers.

You can bet every insurance company has a different policy on this though.

• Like 1