Sign in to follow this  
Mike13

U2 - Joshua Tree setup

Anyone going? This sounds impressive:

For the sound system, 16 Clair Global Cohesion CO-12 speaker cabinets were hung from each cantilever for a total of 64 cabinets.

The lowest cabinet was 53 feet from the stage, and the left and right channel speakers were 84 feet apart.

For front fill, 16 Cohesion CO-8 speakers were hung from the front elevation of the stage and B-stage ramp, while 32 Cohesion CP-218 subwoofers were located at ground level for bass.

Four towers of time-delayed speakers were built behind the front of house mixing station in an arc formation, two with eight CO-12 speakers each, and two with six CO-12 speakers each. O'Herlihy operated a DiGiCo SD7 digital mixing console at the front of house.

Depends on WHO is at the mixing desk at the time [Notice how Queen sounded better than everybody else at LIVE AID ? ]

If it's a outside gig, well atmospheric conditions can play havoc on the way a gig sounds, even with the best attempt's of changing the delay lines slightly.

Wind is the Curse of a outside gig.

Marvel stadium has a roof @Tweaky, not sure if they use it for concerts

10 minutes ago, Mike13 said:

One would hope so given the ticket prices asked

2 hours ago, Mike13 said:

Depends.. 

Seen a coupe of concerts there.. 

U2 360. Open

Adele. Open 

Foo Fighters : closed 

Wouldnt get too excited at sound at Marvel, I have seen U2 there before standing next to mixing desk, pretty woeful. Enjoy the spectacle.

I'm going tonight, floor GA tickets. I went to Foo Fighters a couple of years ago there and sound was terrible from our seats 2 rows from the fence at about 30 degrees off centre. Couldn't even tell which song was till the Chorus. Hoping floor will be better.

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 12:09 AM, frednork said:

Wouldnt get too excited at sound at Marvel, I have seen U2 there before standing next to mixing desk, pretty woeful. Enjoy the spectacle.

Sound at Marvel is awful.  I saw the Fooies there with a GA ticket and it was terrible.  Hopefully my experience is not of those going tonight!

12 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

Sound at Marvel is awful.  I saw the Fooies there with a GA ticket and it was terrible.  Hopefully my experience is not of those going tonight!

Perhaps that was just the Foo'ies, they did try to turn it up to 11 and scream all night. I agree it was terrible but I've also heard good things about Adele at Marvel... Anyhoo, it's more about the experience as I've never seen U2 before and it was a sore point of one-upmanship my wife had over me, as she saw the Rattle & Hum tour. Then again I saw the INXS KIck tour and she's never seen them, nor will she ever.

Edited by blybo

Sound was okay. A bit piercing at times. Struggled with some of the bass guitar intros. Roof closed part way through for the rain but I couldn’t make out a sound difference.

They were tiny dots far, far away.

High Flying Birds were good.

He sang Nick Cave’s, “Into my arms”. Most people probably just thought he was being preachy.

Good intro songs: bowie “stars are out tonight”, chemical brothers, smashing pumpkins, billy eilish (? pass), Radiohead, depeche mode. I wonder if they choose them.

B39E4241-9549-4A14-B874-D236434B4A60.jpeg

11 hours ago, Mike13 said:

Sound was okay. A bit piercing at times. Struggled with some of the bass guitar intros. Roof closed part way through for the rain but I couldn’t make out a sound difference.

They were tiny dots far, far away.

High Flying Birds were good.

He sang Nick Cave’s, “Into my arms”. Most people probably just thought he was being preachy.

Good intro songs: bowie “stars are out tonight”, chemical brothers, smashing pumpkins, billy eilish (? pass), Radiohead, depeche mode. I wonder if they choose them.

I said to my wife I wonder if they are using Billie Eillish to test the bass. Really deep bass was overkill and muddy but otherwise sound wasperfectly acceptable for a stadium gig, heaps better than Foofighters. When the roof closed I could definitely hear more reverb though. I was standing dead centre, roughly halfway between the metal light towers and the forward stage. Screen was incredible, apparently the largest 8k screen in the world.

Overall I thought it was a good concert that could have been great. I thought U2 started with too much of a bang with big older hits considering they already had some great tracks in the first 5 tracks of Joshua Tree. The B side is a lot more mellow and instrumental and I thought they didn't get back to the highs of the songs prior to starting Joshua Tree.

Noel Gallagher was great and a real treat to hear Wonderwall and Don't look back in anger. I'm at work now and listening to the his current album.  I'll edit this post and throw in some crappy iphone photos.

3350727A-7EFD-46EE-AF58-802F015605D8.jpeg

1606F3C7-CF66-417C-B833-BF3803805EC7.jpeg

775E8FAC-F3E6-41FF-B867-0AF9F12A806C.jpeg

9F2ED432-88B3-437C-8179-AED0C786FC06.jpeg

Edited by blybo

38 minutes ago, blybo said:

Overall I thought it was a good concert that could have been great. I thought U2 started with too much of a bang with big older hits considering they already had some great tracks in the first 5 tracks of Joshua Tree. The B side is a lot more mellow and instrumental and I thought they didn't get back to the highs of the songs prior to starting Joshua Tree.

Exactly. They should’ve switched the pre- and post-Joshua Tree sets. I think they wanted to do their earliest stuff first. 

Much better view from ground level by the looks.

1 minute ago, Mike13 said:

Exactly. They should’ve switched the pre- and post-Joshua Tree sets. I think they wanted to do their earliest stuff first. 

Much better view from ground level by the looks.

Yup. I said to my wife afterwards that I would have been happy to leave halfway thru the B side of Joshua Tree and felt well entertained.

We were much closer but I'm 180cm and have sore back and calves today, as much of my viewing was on tippy toes or ducking between heads. 3+ hours standing takes it toll but the atmosphere on the floor can't be beaten. Those photos were taken above my head, hence dodgy framing.

I just flung my balcony door open and I'm listening to Noel Gallagers set now, I thought it was STING there for a moment.

Luckily very little wind around the SCG tonight, but a lot of smoke from the bush fires, which won't be good for anybodies voices, and a light drizzle [Seems U2 brings the weather with them, it was raining last time they played in Sydney]

Yeah I get a lot of free concerts at my place, U2 don't sound too bad, I'll be glad when they've finished though so I can hear the TV and bass stops rattling everything in the house, including me.

Bono just announced that he's about to sing a new song, I didn't catch what it was called......it's a slow number.

They are playing another two nights at the SCG, so I'm bound to hear it again.

I think the Rolling Stones sounded better, maybe because they used old Glen Miller big band tracks to tune the sound system, which was fun to hear really loud.