Sign in to follow this  
panouel

Micro Seiki BL-111 and Dynavector DV 507 MK2

I have just bought a Micro Seiki BL-111 turntable and planning to fit a brand new Dynavector DV 507 MK2 tonearm i got.I am a bit confused though about which cartridge shal i use with this combo.For the records,my phono stage is the Ayre P-5Xe .Any suggestions??

You've got a DV arm......why not  DV cart...??....I'd be starting there...

Tase. 

Yeah, I'd start with a Dynavector cart as well.

Depends what your budget is, a DV-17D3 is a great all rounder without being ridiculously expensive, the law of diminishing returns starts hitting hard once you go higher up Dynavectors range.

As a different option, you might want to consider a Garrott Bros range topping FGS Ruby, which is almost exactly the same price [would be cheaper to get re-tipped as it would be done by Garrott Bros here in Australia]

https://garrottbrothers.com/product/cartridges

A few brief reviews of the Garrott.

https://www.pressreader.com/australia/australian-hifi/20161101/283639644518286

http://stereotimes.com/cart081402.shtml

One thing when you fit the arm, make sure you re-balance the TT, as I know from experience that because the DV-507/5 etc weights so much it can , depending on the TT, lower one side of the rear of the TT.

Also fitting a lid over a DV-507 is a, yes you can or no you can't situation, good luck with that.

As you probably have found out, it's quite a bit larger than most arms, again depending on the TT usually the rear of the arm protruding over the rear edge of the TT base is the problem.....used to drive me nuts just trying to keep things dust free.

Edited by Tweaky

Unless you are buying a minimum Koetsu platinum or preferably one of the Stone models, the dyna XV-1s will knock the Koetsu out of the park.   If you like a neutral with lovely bass weight might still be better than the stone models  -  IMO

I used to run a Gold Onyx Koetsu in the 80's-90's

And having owned a Dynavector arm, I don't think a Koestsu would be a great match for it., that's unless they have changed over the last 30 years.

I found I lost a bit of air and space when I mounted my Koestsu to my Dynavector arm, I'm not sure why that was, but it seemed to work better in a FR64