Sign in to follow this  
cafe67

Suggestions on room/speaker arrangement

Hi all, 

looking for suggestions on room/speaker placement/ improvement. 

my room is awkward being roughly 4.32m wide x 3.90m deep on the carpeted area, with another 89cm added to the width of the room by the side passage separated by half height wall and ceiling height pillar you can see in the photo. 

I knocked up a quick room diagram using freeby app, so some of the measurements aren’t spot on.

as you can see there is not a lot of scope to arrange stuff, so for ages I have placed gear and speakers along the front wall., 

I don’t think I would gain much by placing the speakers along the back wall with the couch along the front wall. 

but I wondering if I would gain/improve things, by placing speakers along the window wall firing down towards the half wall and entrance., with the couch along the half wall? 

all furniture is moveable with the exception of the tall CD rack which bolted to the wall. 

any thoughts or suggestions most appreciated 

3C574CBF-7002-4C08-8704-B4ADE49B6FBD.jpeg

8B969AD2-6224-48F1-9626-1019212758AD.jpeg

AB875459-4283-4290-A6A1-6124DB6C952B.jpeg

681DC950-5DB1-4358-943B-54DC55BB7655.jpeg

Edited by cafe67

Nice space and setup!

Having "space" behind the listening position does improve things ie with speakers on window wall. Alternatively you could try diffusion on the wall behind your current position. Reminds me of @andyrsetup

agree with geek.     I would try with the speakers against the wall with the window/aircon.

Hi Dave, for the sake of a few hours of moving stuff around I'd definitely try the speakers along the window wall, even if it means having to unbolt the CD rack off the wall.   

Yes listening chair in front of the low wall and speakers  out from the opposite wall.Sofa where your equipment is now [an effective bass trap]

And avoid rear ported speakers .Or ported speaker altogether.

One of my rooms is quite like that although it is 800mm wider.Gale 401s work really well in there.Larger rear ported speakers do not.

I would agree with the above posts but also suggest that you try moving your equipment and speakers to the wall where your couch is and moving the couch to the wall where your equipment and speakers are.

The effect of the low wall and glass door may produce a nice balance and soundstage but you would need to try it.

1 hour ago, Peter_F said:

Hi Dave, for the sake of a few hours of moving stuff around I'd definitely try the speakers along the window wall, even if it means having to unbolt the CD rack off the wall.   

👍 agree with what has been said, was thinking the same thing.

Plenty of help here to assist you move things around quickly.....

2 hours ago, THOMO said:

Yes listening chair in front of the low wall and speakers  out from the opposite wall.Sofa where your equipment is now [an effective bass trap]

And avoid rear ported speakers .Or ported speaker altogether.

One of my rooms is quite like that although it is 800mm wider.Gale 401s work really well in there.Larger rear ported speakers do not.

Hiya, yes the dynaudio confidence 5 and before that the ATC scm40 both sealed designs worked well, the current falcon studio 30 are ported to the floor and also work well. 

I would try to move the couch a little bit of the wall and I would use primacoustic (or similar) behind speakers and couch. 

https://www.musoscorner.com.au/primacoustic-london-8-room-kit-black?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwr-_tBRCMARIsAN413WSMQnV1SxN68suqZdpPRNF1QDbEOoUIwnN5fW1diC94q4BhTNZLfj0aAi0AEALw_wcB