Unclemack is making some changes

That looks like a good plan UM, once this threatment is in place you will be in audio nirvana. Once you listen for the first time in a professionally treated room its then that you realise you have been doing it wrong all along.

If everyone could hear the difference everyone would want it.

I look forward to more pics once the room is done and to see what you decide to do with the speakers. You are probably used to the mad max looks by now and see little need to do anything? I think thats where I would end up.

Cheers

On 14/12/2019 at 9:50 PM, mondie said:

That looks like a good plan UM, once this threatment is in place you will be in audio nirvana. Once you listen for the first time in a professionally treated room its then that you realise you have been doing it wrong all along.

If everyone could hear the difference everyone would want it.

I look forward to more pics once the room is done and to see what you decide to do with the speakers. You are probably used to the mad max looks by now and see little need to do anything? I think thats where I would end up.

Cheers

Just having the full sized batts in the room has made an immense difference. Some DSP fiddling was done by @Los and the speakers moved a little further apart and toed in more. Vocals are dead centre now and the soundstage has widened. Details are now more apparent and the big protos are starting to disappear. Once I get the ceiling panels in place and the wall panels made and placed, we’ll measure again. The Mad Max look is of little consequence however I do have some plans in place to have them Kardashianed... somewhat. ?

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to my very clever and generous brother, the first three panels have been installed. Pine framing material for the frames with solid ply backing. French cleats to clip onto the wall. I covered the panels with thin lining material from Spotlight. I think I’ll be changing the white panel to another colour but otherwise I’m pretty happy with the result. By the time I got to the blue panel I had sussed out the covering technique so that’s the best one. It’s a learning process so the next set of panels should come out better again. As mentioned the effect of this treatment can not be overestimated. It’s made and excellent sounding system sound even better by a large margin. More to come. Sorry about the topsy Turvey pics  hard to correct on the iPad  8F2F8B63-7DC8-4DDE-9EAE-C1F88EC022F2.jpeg.cf628bbf4dbc2c7d62834794130429f1.jpeg

78DE20C4-D978-4C00-9E18-57F46D852F60.jpeg

80FF16DB-786D-4DDD-B1D7-D69C8D66DB9A.jpeg

826185A1-658E-4243-AC98-A5AA0918768A.jpeg

Edited by unclemack
  • Like 13

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

I see your also travel in between darkness and light so grey is quite an appropriate choice I think. Way better than the blue imo.

I toyed with an ever darker, charcoal colour but I like the tone of this grey. Plenty more to do in the room, transplant all my vinyl, get more acoustic wall panels made as well as ceiling panels. Should come up very cosy and sonically acceptable. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Finally got the records in place. Big job putting backs on the Kallax and then hauling the lot downstairs then bolting them to the wall, levelling and aligning everything. My brother was a godsend. His cabinetmaking skills were invaluable. Spent this weekend hauling the records downstairs and replacing them (in alphabetical order and split into a few genres). Long heavy job but lots of fun. Works well as an absorber too. I made sure to space them out for additions. Next step, shelving for the components. Still thinking concrete for that. 

ABF2A7EE-89B1-4D8A-89D0-0C688CB3581F.jpeg

97D096D1-D8AF-4119-AF83-F2415C9841CC.jpeg

• Like 35

• 2 months later...
On 14/06/2020 at 6:50 AM, mondie said:

Just catching up on SNA. This looks amazing UM, bet it sounds as good as it looks. When will you do the ceiling?

Cheers

Soon mate. I’ve got the material, just have to make a frame, glue it to the back and work out some covering. Then I’ll pop it up hanging from cup hooks or similar.  Hope you’re doing well Simon. Shouldn’t be too long before you get your speakers. Cheers, M

• Like 1

I'm all good mate, moved into our new place a few months ago and busy getting the new room ready for the arrival of the Symphonys. Paul and I are working out shipping now, hopefully they will be on the water within a month which would see them in my hands by about October which will be pretty much 3 years on the nose since we first embarked on this project.

Cheers

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@unclemack Geez that looks awesome mate.  All ties in perfectly, colours are great and looks tidy. The speakers look 'tough', I wouldn't change them much. Room treatment is the best upgrade to any system IMO, otherwise you're just not getting what the system is capable of. Congrats on a great job ?

On 06/04/2020 at 5:55 PM, unclemack said:

Finally got the records in place. Big job putting backs on the Kallax and then hauling the lot downstairs then bolting them to the wall, levelling and aligning everything. My brother was a godsend. His cabinetmaking skills were invaluable. Spent this weekend hauling the records downstairs and replacing them (in alphabetical order and split into a few genres). Long heavy job but lots of fun. Works well as an absorber too. I made sure to space them out for additions. Next step, shelving for the components. Still thinking concrete for that. 

ABF2A7EE-89B1-4D8A-89D0-0C688CB3581F.jpeg

97D096D1-D8AF-4119-AF83-F2415C9841CC.jpeg

Awesome job Unclemack. Well worth the effort. It always bothers my OCD when I see an uber hifi system sitting in an inappropriate room. Yes we all have compromises to work with but you've come to a sensational result.

• Like 3