Unclemack is making some changes

38 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

So these are active then? I actually quite like how they look now and hope to get the opportunity to hear them one day.

So we have me wanting to hear the Sovs and you wanting to hear the Protos. Like a Mexican standoff. After @Los comes over with some treatment magic, we’ll organise a little GTG.  Lots of Kate Bush will be played  ?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, unclemack said:

So we have me wanting to hear the Sovs and you wanting to hear the Protos. Like a Mexican standoff. After @Los comes over with some treatment magic, we’ll organise a little GTG.  Lots of Kate Bush will be played  ?

@unclemack, the Sovs at @Tubularbells's make the princesses/cp's sound like they are workin hard. Smooth as duck shlt down a tin horn. But what you have there is another beast altogether. Ports , horns and ribbons!! Look forward to hearing those rip it up one day!! Congrats mate!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, frednork said:

@unclemack, the Sovs at @Tubularbells's make the princesses/cp's sound like they are workin hard. Smooth as duck shlt down a tin horn. But what you have there is another beast altogether. Ports , horns and ribbons!! Look forward to hearing those rip it up one day!! Congrats mate!!

Thanks mate, I can just imagine. When I got my first pair of CPs, the Sovereigns immediately became my aspirational speaker but when I heard the Lenards everything changed. Are they “HiFi”? I don’t know, nor do I care. They are simply a well engineered, superb sounding speaker. Very friggin happy! M

• Like 2

Fantastic to see Micheal, these should be your last speakers! There is nowhere to go after the Symphony so you have plenty of time to mess around with the aesthetics.  You could leave them as is and go the mad max look and let the performance do the talking.

Once the room treatment is in you will think you have a new pair of speakers all over again, I look forward to reading your comments once you have experienced the dramatic improvement it brings.

You have ended up with the first pair, you beat me ?

Cheers

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mondie said:

Fantastic to see Micheal, these should be your last speakers! There is nowhere to go after the Symphony so you have plenty of time to mess around with the aesthetics.  You could leave them as is and go the mad max look and let the performance do the talking.

Once the room treatment is in you will think you have a new pair of speakers all over again, I look forward to reading your comments once you have experienced the dramatic improvement it brings.

You have ended up with the first pair, you beat me ?

Cheers

Thanks mate. Strictly speaking though, you will have pair #1. Mine are forever the prototypes. Really looking forward to the impacts of room treatment on the sound of these. Let me know next time you’re in town to visit Paul and John. I’ll swing by. Cheers. M

• Like 1

On 02/11/2019 at 7:56 AM, Martykt said:

My legitimate guess would be some creation from John Burnett of Lenard Audio.... ??? ?

Do I win a prize @unclemack... ?? :D :party

Congrats on the new speakers M !! 

I won't say they look great but as long as they deliver the goods sound-wise who really cares !! :thumb:

2 hours ago, Martykt said:

Do I win a prize @unclemack... ?? :D :party

Congrats on the new speakers M !! 

I won't say they look great but as long as they deliver the goods sound-wise who really cares !! :thumb:

No prize sadly but good guess. They do deliver the goods and then some. I have plans to pretty then up somewhat. ?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

Love the look. More intimidating then the CP's.

Only talking about the prototype chic, rare timber veneer from wheresthatagain and shiny fixings they ain't !! :D
The actual design itself looks very cool and I'm sure once @unclemack finishes prettying them up I'm sure they'll present very well. :thumb:

• Like 1

On 04/11/2019 at 12:44 PM, kab said:

The CP's were no oil painting but damn they sounded sweet.

Hope these give you much joy as well.

Yeah but with something other than the black socks, they were acceptable looking. I sort of like that monolithic look... and sound. ??

• 3 weeks later...

Had @Los come over to play with some EQ, placement and treatment. He did some sweeps and ended up changing some parameters to even some peaks out. This was locked into the dsp so that I can switch between the original setup to the new eq. We then loaded the room with some absorption material to see what happens. Finally we pushed the speakers further apart with a lot more toe-in. End result was wonderful. The bass is still thunderous but now it’s tighter and more detailed. Bass notes are more clearly defined. With the pull back of the horn mid, vocals have better balance in the mix and don’t feel shouty whatsoever at volume. Overall detail has dialled up and the soundstage has become wider with the speakers very much less apparent in the room. Instruments are more separated and seem to occupy their own space rather than being meshed together. The treatment together with the new placement has worked wonders. Listening to Dire Straits Making Movies was a revelation. These things just keep giving. Paul and John have provided the best sound I’ve ever had in my home. Next step will be fitting the treatment to the room and including the ceiling panels. The journey continues. Can’t thank Paul enough for taking the time to come out and set this up for me. Amazing stuff! 

B785E56C-3ECF-4EE2-B7CF-82A3112A8E31.jpeg

19A8047E-C85A-42F7-9354-C2FB54FCA133.jpeg

60676585-BCD2-4ECE-BA7A-D842BD4E2F2D.jpeg

DA96FD15-4777-425C-8B72-8DE28E3B04DC.jpeg

557AA5D9-EA97-49D3-AE2A-7EE3A27D7062.jpeg

2F68007E-9AED-406D-8AE6-87762F486F5D.jpeg

• Like 11

On 04/11/2019 at 12:21 PM, unclemack said:

No prize sadly but good guess. They do deliver the goods and then some. I have plans to pretty then up somewhat. ?

Vinyl wrap?

You could have Pam Anderson on each, or maybe Debbie Harry, Wendy James, The Pandoras or Gladys Berejiklian. Maybe a Floyd cover or a cover from a "The Exploited or GBH" album cover.

Yep, sign me up for the limited edition poster run.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Uncle Seth said:

Vinyl wrap?

You could have Pam Anderson on each, or maybe Debbie Harry, Wendy James, The Pandoras or Gladys Berejiklian. Maybe a Floyd cover or a cover from a "The Exploited or GBH" album cover.

Yep, sign me up for the limited edition poster run.

I’d consider Wendy James...

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok. Enough of movie stars. Here’s a drawing of the projected acoustic panel array that’s planned. The rear wall (behind the speakers) will have full height batts across the width of the wall with a curtain in front. The panels in the diagram will be of colours yet to be determined. Ceiling panels are yet to come. All in all, it should sound great and still be aesthetically pleasing. 

1E7E8238-F0DC-456E-BA44-8DCDE41DBF89.jpeg