Grindog

Streamer / Dac / Pre-amp combo

I've had the Node 2i and it works really well. Lots of easy to use features and setup. BluOs operating system is pretty good and integrates well. The onboard DAC is pretty good too. Plenty around second hand at $600ish. Make sure you get Node 2i if you do go down that road. 2nd Gen ver much better. Auralic and Lumin are huge step ups and you'll notice the difference. I like both brands and there are plenty of reviews. Hard to find either brand cheap though.

ive been running a cnx v2 for over a year now and been very happy with it

Edited by steffanth

Looking at the link that Snoopy posted on the NAD C658 BlueOS verion

https://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/nad-electronics-c-658-streaming-dac-preamp-review

Fantastic all rounder, same price band as the Altair  and Lumin D2. If it is in the same category SQ wise as the M10 it could be a contender.  2 way WiFi, Bluetooth, Dirac even, has it all....

The D2 doesn't have Wifi  😞

22 minutes ago, Grindog said:

Looking at the link that Snoopy posted on the NAD C658 BlueOS verion

https://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/nad-electronics-c-658-streaming-dac-preamp-review

Fantastic all rounder, same price band as the Altair  and Lumin D2. If it is in the same category SQ wise as the M10 it could be a contender.  2 way WiFi, Bluetooth, Dirac even, has it all....

The D2 doesn't have Wifi  😞

I have my doubts that the C658 will be in same category SQ wise as the M10, but it will not be too far away. BluOS is another plus, easy to use, nice looking App especially on tablet. 

Any chance you can take a (long?) drive to audition both?

P/s hope bush fire situation ok for you... 

I just got a minidsp shd and couldn't be happier. 

I got the studio version that is all digital but the shd has a dac. 

I have had a bluesound in the past and although it's good for functionality the sound quality is lacking. 

The streamer in the shd surpasses the auralic Aires that I have just moved from. 

Has dirac live 2 and is a fully functional preamp. 

I can't speak of the analog section as I'm all digital but it sounds exceptional 

Big thumbs up from me

Cheers Snoops

I was in Sydney last week on biz and dropped into Lifestyle and Len Wallis to eyeball some gear.

The issue is, even with an audition in store you still don't really know how it plays with your own gear and room set up.

Len Wallis is probably the best for this as they sell both Auric and NAD

56 minutes ago, Grindog said:

The issue is, even with an audition in store you still don't really know how it plays with your own gear and room set up.

That is true of any new gear you get!  

Suggest auditioning the C658. Using this

https://nadelectronics.com/dealers/

Don't know whether this is correct, but it lists

Noeledge Systems,  Shop2, 65 Muldoon Street, Taree

Probably better if you visit Audio Junction in Hamilton

https://audiojunction.com.au/about-us/

They have Cambridge Audio and NAD.

On 12/11/2019 at 12:38 PM, cambam007 said:

I just got a minidsp shd and couldn't be happier. 

I got the studio version that is all digital but the shd has a dac. 

I have had a bluesound in the past and although it's good for functionality the sound quality is lacking. 

The streamer in the shd surpasses the auralic Aires that I have just moved from. 

Has dirac live 2 and is a fully functional preamp. 

I can't speak of the analog section as I'm all digital but it sounds exceptional 

Big thumbs up from me

As an Aries owner and using a Gieseler Klein III DAC, I find your statement on the Minidsp  shd very interesting. Would you mind expanding on that please, either here, or by message? Many thanks, Dave

47 minutes ago, lenticularis said:

As an Aries owner and using a Gieseler Klein III DAC, I find your statement on the Minidsp  shd very interesting. Would you mind expanding on that please, either here, or by message? Many thanks, Dave

What would you like to know? 

It's a very clean unit and to me sounds better than the aries (just slightly) 

I am yet to run dirac and from what I understand it will make the difference quite substantial. 

The interface is nice and easy to get around but the tidal intergration isn't what it is with lighting ds, it's somewhat barebones but fully functional. 

There is no usb audio out but that dosnt bother me as I don't use it anyway. 

I spoke to another aries ship jumper that was using usb and he said even without the usb it sounds better than the aries. 

It reclocks everything to 24/96 and the purist in me shudders at the thought but proof in pudding it sounds clean. 

Again in my case my speakers are digital in and run a Max of 24/96 so I don't feel I'm missing anything. 

If you are in Melbourne you are welcome to come and have a play around. 

I originally was looking at it for the dirac live and planned on running the aries through it but I read a lot of comments from people who were using them coming from SoTM, aries etc.. And across the board everyone said hands down winner and I concur... And this is without dirac yet. 

Thanks a lot for your detailed reply. That sums things up very usefully. Thanks very much for your kind offer to have a listen however I don’t foresee being in Melbourne in the near future.

cheers,

Dave

4 minutes ago, cambam007 said:

What would you like to know? 

It's a very clean unit and to me sounds better than the aries (just slightly) 

I am yet to run dirac and from what I understand it will make the difference quite substantial. 

The interface is nice and easy to get around but the tidal intergration isn't what it is with lighting ds, it's somewhat barebones but fully functional. 

There is no usb audio out but that dosnt bother me as I don't use it anyway. 

I spoke to another aries ship jumper that was using usb and he said even without the usb it sounds better than the aries. 

It reclocks everything to 24/96 and the purist in me shudders at the thought but proof in pudding it sounds clean. 

Again in my case my speakers are digital in and run a Max of 24/96 so I don't feel I'm missing anything. 

If you are in Melbourne you are welcome to come and have a play around. 

I originally was looking at it for the dirac live and planned on running the aries through it but I read a lot of comments from people who were using them coming from SoTM, aries etc.. And across the board everyone said hands down winner and I concur... And this is without dirac yet. 

Also of note is the interface is volumio, it's the full fledged version with tidal intergration. No fees to pay (other than tidal) and same with dirac, it's included in the purchase price. 

1 minute ago, lenticularis said:

Thanks a lot for your detailed reply. That sums things up very usefully. Thanks very much for your kind offer to have a listen however I don’t foresee being in Melbourne in the near future.

cheers,

Dave

All to happy to help, there's no need to rush off and sell the auralic, it's a fantastic unit with one of the best interfaces. The difference in sound quality is negligible, better but not enough to go changing just for the streamer but if you ever get curious about room treatment then it really is a no brainier. 

With the BluOS you can use any streaming service but you can’t connect to a computer, so no use if you are a YouTube enthusiast or if you want to access your library. If your library is on an external hard disc you can plug it into the blusound

Cambridge CNX streamer clean but unremarkable sound. Easy to use App.

Primare SC15 more musical sound and better soundstage.

New Auralic Altair more detail than the others but not fatiging. Best app of the three and able to use UPnP.

On 16/11/2019 at 6:27 AM, Alpine Electrocats said:

With the BluOS you can use any streaming service but you can’t connect to a computer, so no use if you are a YouTube enthusiast or if you want to access your library. If your library is on an external hard disc you can plug it into the blusound

Do you mean connect via USB or just to access the file on the computer ? I have my music files share with windows  smb and select media server on blueos to play the files. There are limitations on the file that I can play directly but you can use the blueos windows program to transcode into comparable format   

50 minutes ago, Soundfever said:

Do you mean connect via USB or just to access the file on the computer ? I have my music files share with windows  smb and select media server on blueos to play the files. There are limitations on the file that I can play directly but you can use the blueos windows program to transcode into comparable format   

I tried that - I have a lot of music on my Mac in Apple’s lossless format

it took forever and didn’t finish- my stuff all went to sleep overnight 

( complication- I am in temporary digs and am using a spare phone as a server, so I don’t have a wired connection and it’s slow as wireless goes) I then had to enter all the stuff again from scratch with several tries to get it right and couldn’t get on...