Streamer / Dac / Pre-amp combo

4 minutes ago, cambam007 said:

What would you like to know? 

It's a very clean unit and to me sounds better than the aries (just slightly) 

I am yet to run dirac and from what I understand it will make the difference quite substantial. 

The interface is nice and easy to get around but the tidal intergration isn't what it is with lighting ds, it's somewhat barebones but fully functional. 

There is no usb audio out but that dosnt bother me as I don't use it anyway. 

I spoke to another aries ship jumper that was using usb and he said even without the usb it sounds better than the aries. 

It reclocks everything to 24/96 and the purist in me shudders at the thought but proof in pudding it sounds clean. 

Again in my case my speakers are digital in and run a Max of 24/96 so I don't feel I'm missing anything. 

If you are in Melbourne you are welcome to come and have a play around. 

I originally was looking at it for the dirac live and planned on running the aries through it but I read a lot of comments from people who were using them coming from SoTM, aries etc.. And across the board everyone said hands down winner and I concur... And this is without dirac yet. 

Also of note is the interface is volumio, it's the full fledged version with tidal intergration. No fees to pay (other than tidal) and same with dirac, it's included in the purchase price. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lenticularis said:

Thanks a lot for your detailed reply. That sums things up very usefully. Thanks very much for your kind offer to have a listen however I don’t foresee being in Melbourne in the near future.

cheers,

Dave

All to happy to help, there's no need to rush off and sell the auralic, it's a fantastic unit with one of the best interfaces. The difference in sound quality is negligible, better but not enough to go changing just for the streamer but if you ever get curious about room treatment then it really is a no brainier. 

• Thanks 1

With the BluOS you can use any streaming service but you can’t connect to a computer, so no use if you are a YouTube enthusiast or if you want to access your library. If your library is on an external hard disc you can plug it into the blusound

Cambridge CNX streamer clean but unremarkable sound. Easy to use App.

Primare SC15 more musical sound and better soundstage.

New Auralic Altair more detail than the others but not fatiging. Best app of the three and able to use UPnP.

• Like 2

On 16/11/2019 at 6:27 AM, Alpine Electrocats said:

With the BluOS you can use any streaming service but you can’t connect to a computer, so no use if you are a YouTube enthusiast or if you want to access your library. If your library is on an external hard disc you can plug it into the blusound

Do you mean connect via USB or just to access the file on the computer ? I have my music files share with windows  smb and select media server on blueos to play the files. There are limitations on the file that I can play directly but you can use the blueos windows program to transcode into comparable format   

50 minutes ago, Soundfever said:

Do you mean connect via USB or just to access the file on the computer ? I have my music files share with windows  smb and select media server on blueos to play the files. There are limitations on the file that I can play directly but you can use the blueos windows program to transcode into comparable format   

I tried that - I have a lot of music on my Mac in Apple’s lossless format

it took forever and didn’t finish- my stuff all went to sleep overnight 

( complication- I am in temporary digs and am using a spare phone as a server, so I don’t have a wired connection and it’s slow as wireless goes) I then had to enter all the stuff again from scratch with several tries to get it right and couldn’t get on...

@Alpine Electrocats I see, I don't know much about MacOs, only got my first hand down Mac few months ago and I still don't know how to use it. Just tried to place some files on the "share" folder not not able to see anything on my network. I will learn how to do some basic things for MacOS and try again. 

I suspect the network infrastructure could also be the limitation in your system. Are you using your phone as the network access point for your devices including sharing internet streaming? 

If yes, then I would suggest getting a 4g router access point. This way you can connect external antenna to the device for better 4g signal. If you area supports 5G then get one of those 5G home internet devices, will give you better speed and option for wire connect to your devices.

If NO then a simple wire Ethernet hub and come cat 6 cable to connect the node and Mac for a more stable connection. 

Another thing to try is share a smaller directory with a few songs to see if that works. If it does then it is the network that can be improve. If it not able to work with a few songs then there is something more.  

15 hours ago, Bones2 said:

Cambridge CNX streamer clean but unremarkable sound. Easy to use App.

Primare SC15 more musical sound and better soundstage.

New Auralic Altair more detail than the others but not fatiging. Best app of the three and able to use UPnP.

Thanks Bones, first comment about the Primere, putting that back on my list.

I think I'm down to the NAD C 658 and now the SC15 as they are both at or under the $2.5K mark and both being fairly full featured.

The SC15 even has Chromecast.

3 hours ago, Grindog said:

Thanks Bones, first comment about the Primere, putting that back on my list.

I think I'm down to the NAD C 658 and now the SC15 as they are both at or under the $2.5K mark and both being fairly full featured.

The SC15 even has Chromecast.

Myself and @Ozflyer should have our C658s by the end of the week, and have both moved on from bluesounds.

• 7 months later...
On 14/11/2019 at 3:25 PM, cambam007 said:

All to happy to help, there's no need to rush off and sell the auralic, it's a fantastic unit with one of the best interfaces. The difference in sound quality is negligible, better but not enough to go changing just for the streamer but if you ever get curious about room treatment then it really is a no brainier. 

I've finally jumped, today ordering an SHD Studio. I certainly remain happy with my Aries, however the comments in this thread about the SHD Studio's SQ and of course Dirac Live have swung me to try it.

I nearly went for the NAD C658, however this route gives me more flexibility, even if more expensive than replacing my current streamer and DAC with the C658.

Edited by lenticularis
Typo