Streamer / Dac / Pre-amp combo

Hi all,

My Squeezebox it seems is on its last legs so looking for a replacement. I had the Bouesound Node2i in my sights as a direct replacement but recently realised my Maverick Audio  TubeMagic D1 Dac-Pre has a dodgy channel. The D1 was always a stand in for my main valve Pre/Dac so may as well replace this as well.  

I was wanting to keep it under $2.5k. A quick search I came up with some options:

Question 1:

Am I betetr to keeep my streamer and Dac seperate, if so

I can get my old Valve Pre/Dac fixed and add a new streamer like Node 2i

OR Question 2:

Would I be happy with one of the following, i.e preferences?

1) Cambridge Audio CXN v2 Network Streamer

2) Primare SC15 Prisma Streaming DAC-Preamp

Or

3) Can the Bluesound PowerNode2i operate as a Pre?

4) Other?

It will be mated to a Oddysey Stratos Power amp driving a pair of ATC SCM19 stand mounts which I am really happy with as a pairing.

Any recommendations or options much  appreciated.

Regards

Crannie

Not worth fixing the TubeMagic D1 as technology has moved on.

Nowadays, I prefer a streamer DAC to simplify the music chain. Besides the ones mentioned, add in the CA 851N, and over budget,  Lumin D2. 

The Naim Unity Atom is also one to consider and a few people here have gone to this. It is way over budget and you could even get rid of the power amp!  Yes, an extreme simplification the music chain!

Have you auditioned any? 

4) Other:

I have a miniDSP SHD as my pre which has all that and more in one box, under $2k landed. The integrated Volumio will connect to LMS or Roon.

I bought it for Dirac but the whole unit is impressive and sounds great.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am a little hesitant with the miniDSP SHD. I like Dirac Live and have no hesitation in recommending a miniDSP 2x4HD for DSP use with subs.  But using the SHD as the main DAC and preamp???  miniDSP's expertise is in the digital domain with DSP, not so much in analogue music. 

26 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

I am a little hesitant with the miniDSP SHD. I like Dirac Live and have no hesitation in recommending a miniDSP 2x4HD for DSP use with subs.  But using the SHD as the main DAC and preamp???  miniDSP's expertise is in the digital domain with DSP, not so much in analogue music. 

How would you do analogue music room correction without DSP? You mean you don't use any room correction at all with analogue?

25 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

How would you do analogue music room correction without DSP? You mean you don't use any room correction at all with analogue?

My DSP is only for subs. I tried at one stage to feed the mains and it compromised the sound too much. I did not realise how much my Behringer DCX2496 was compromised until they were upgraded with mods for analogue inputs and outputs. Hence, my reservations to using lower end analogue DSP. Different if I had a DEQX or a Dspeaker X4.

We have gone OT.  OP has heard my reservations about the SHD. I have no problems with the SHD Studio which is all digital. However, others are happy to use the miniDSP solutions.

• Love 1

23 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

... miniDSP's expertise is in the digital domain with DSP, not so much in analogue music. 

They outsourced the design of that section to an enternal consultant. I seem to remember they're a regular on diyAudio.

There's only one main thread for the SHD over there but if I find the references I'll link them.

Well that was easy:

The MiniDSP SHD has the AKM AK4490 and OPA1612 in it. I designed the analog sections for MiniDSP. I haven't had a chance to measure mine yet, but I know MiniDSP have. The design goal was to maintain the excellent THD and SNR performance of the DAC itself all the way through to the output connector. To the best of my knowledge we accomplished that. The SHD has differential out.

Edited by stiben
Found the link
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, stiben said:

They outsourced the design of that section to an enternal consultant. I seem to remember they're a regular on diyAudio.

Thank you. I am probably too conservative. Glad the SHD is working for you..

Not sure from your post what type of source file you are using (aim to use). As mentioned in the previous posts, you may wish to use Tidal/Roon/Spotify or your own FLAC files. The tech in this space is moving really fast. I would be hesitant about getting any streamer that is more than 12-18 months old as it probably means it was designed three years ago at least. Lots of established brands moving in with onboard DACs and amplification duties. Some camps are more pro Sabre or Burr Brown, AKM etc. Depends slightly on your sound preferences. I’m a fan of MQA (but plenty aren’t) and that does narrow the range somewhat.

Quality players (to me) in this space are Auralic, Aurender, Bluesound, PS Audio and Lumin.  Various and in some cases, extreme, price points. As always, YMMV and many point out that these devices all just move BITS around !!

• Like 1

Fantastic Blue Ocean, appreciate your comments.

Yes starting to narrow it down to to the Altair G1 or the Lumin D2. Both more than I wanted to spend but starting to lift my target, I don't change my gear much. The trouble is it is very difficult to audition anything in rural NSW where I live. The alternative is a Node 2i plus upgrade my pre to a good value valve pre like a Schiit Freya.

Main source I will have is my HDD ripped in FLAC, currently connected to an old HP laptop but will be looking to set up a NAS for this.

Haven't played around or experienced any streaming but curious of Tidal and possibly Qobuz from the reading here and those I have spoken with, sounds like Tidal can quite addictive if set up well and plays nice with your network.

Regards

Crannie

• Like 1

I've had the Node 2i and it works really well. Lots of easy to use features and setup. BluOs operating system is pretty good and integrates well. The onboard DAC is pretty good too. Plenty around second hand at $600ish. Make sure you get Node 2i if you do go down that road. 2nd Gen ver much better. Auralic and Lumin are huge step ups and you'll notice the difference. I like both brands and there are plenty of reviews. Hard to find either brand cheap though.

Looking at the link that Snoopy posted on the NAD C658 BlueOS verion

https://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/nad-electronics-c-658-streaming-dac-preamp-review

Fantastic all rounder, same price band as the Altair  and Lumin D2. If it is in the same category SQ wise as the M10 it could be a contender.  2 way WiFi, Bluetooth, Dirac even, has it all....

The D2 doesn't have Wifi  ?

22 minutes ago, Grindog said:

Looking at the link that Snoopy posted on the NAD C658 BlueOS verion

https://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/nad-electronics-c-658-streaming-dac-preamp-review

Fantastic all rounder, same price band as the Altair  and Lumin D2. If it is in the same category SQ wise as the M10 it could be a contender.  2 way WiFi, Bluetooth, Dirac even, has it all....

The D2 doesn't have Wifi  ?

I have my doubts that the C658 will be in same category SQ wise as the M10, but it will not be too far away. BluOS is another plus, easy to use, nice looking App especially on tablet. 

Any chance you can take a (long?) drive to audition both?

P/s hope bush fire situation ok for you... 

I just got a minidsp shd and couldn't be happier. 

I got the studio version that is all digital but the shd has a dac. 

I have had a bluesound in the past and although it's good for functionality the sound quality is lacking. 

The streamer in the shd surpasses the auralic Aires that I have just moved from. 

Has dirac live 2 and is a fully functional preamp. 

I can't speak of the analog section as I'm all digital but it sounds exceptional 

Big thumbs up from me

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cheers Snoops

I was in Sydney last week on biz and dropped into Lifestyle and Len Wallis to eyeball some gear.

The issue is, even with an audition in store you still don't really know how it plays with your own gear and room set up.

Len Wallis is probably the best for this as they sell both Auric and NAD

56 minutes ago, Grindog said:

The issue is, even with an audition in store you still don't really know how it plays with your own gear and room set up.

That is true of any new gear you get!  

Suggest auditioning the C658. Using this

https://nadelectronics.com/dealers/

Don't know whether this is correct, but it lists

Noeledge Systems,  Shop2, 65 Muldoon Street, Taree

Probably better if you visit Audio Junction in Hamilton

https://audiojunction.com.au/about-us/

They have Cambridge Audio and NAD.

On 12/11/2019 at 12:38 PM, cambam007 said:

I just got a minidsp shd and couldn't be happier. 

I got the studio version that is all digital but the shd has a dac. 

I have had a bluesound in the past and although it's good for functionality the sound quality is lacking. 

The streamer in the shd surpasses the auralic Aires that I have just moved from. 

Has dirac live 2 and is a fully functional preamp. 

I can't speak of the analog section as I'm all digital but it sounds exceptional 

Big thumbs up from me

As an Aries owner and using a Gieseler Klein III DAC, I find your statement on the Minidsp  shd very interesting. Would you mind expanding on that please, either here, or by message? Many thanks, Dave

47 minutes ago, lenticularis said:

As an Aries owner and using a Gieseler Klein III DAC, I find your statement on the Minidsp  shd very interesting. Would you mind expanding on that please, either here, or by message? Many thanks, Dave

What would you like to know? 

It's a very clean unit and to me sounds better than the aries (just slightly) 

I am yet to run dirac and from what I understand it will make the difference quite substantial. 

The interface is nice and easy to get around but the tidal intergration isn't what it is with lighting ds, it's somewhat barebones but fully functional. 

There is no usb audio out but that dosnt bother me as I don't use it anyway. 

I spoke to another aries ship jumper that was using usb and he said even without the usb it sounds better than the aries. 

It reclocks everything to 24/96 and the purist in me shudders at the thought but proof in pudding it sounds clean. 

Again in my case my speakers are digital in and run a Max of 24/96 so I don't feel I'm missing anything. 

If you are in Melbourne you are welcome to come and have a play around. 

I originally was looking at it for the dirac live and planned on running the aries through it but I read a lot of comments from people who were using them coming from SoTM, aries etc.. And across the board everyone said hands down winner and I concur... And this is without dirac yet. 

• Like 2