Advice on integrated Stereo Amp to power Q350

Hi guys, 

I would like to ask for advice in terms of purchasing my first integrated stereo  amp to power bookshelf speakers in the likes of a KEF Q350 etc (which is on my shortlist).

My budget for the amp is sub $1000 and one of the features that it must have is Wifi streaming.

I’m planning to have the setup in a small to medium sized lounge area.

I came across 2 amps and would like some input in terms of which one is a better unit i.e sound, power etc. Otherwise also open to others suggestions/recommendations.

1) Yamaha R-N602

2) NAD C 338 Hybrid

Cheers!

Jack

Edited by Shmacko

There are still a few Myryad Z240 units on ebay for under $400.  An excellent amp at that price, should leave you a few bucks to buy your choice of streamer.

The Myryads are a higher current amp than they have any right to be and work quite well with KEF LS-50s so I'm assuming a similar level of matching with the Q350's.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Cafad said:

There are still a few Myryad Z240 units on ebay for under $400.  An excellent amp at that price, should leave you a few bucks to buy your choice of streamer.

The Myryads are a higher current amp than they have any right to be and work quite well with KEF LS-50s so I'm assuming a similar level of matching with the Q350's.

Thanks will have a look!

I wouldn't go near either. 

At 1k I'd be trying to find something like used a Cyrus One HD or Cambridge Audio CXA60 and then buy a Chromecast Audio 

This is light years ahead of the Yamaha or Nad. 

Rega Brio is a good option but I think this is a better solution  with a Chromecast with the built in dac and Bluetooth. 

Cyrus just announce a Cyrus with Chromecast built in but more expensive 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thankyou for your valuable inputs everyone. Really appreciate it. Will definitely look into everything that has been suggested.

How would the Brio compare to the Myryad Z240 or Cyrus ?

Cheers

1 hour ago, Shmacko said:

Thankyou for your valuable inputs everyone. Really appreciate it. Will definitely look into everything that has been suggested.

How would the Brio compare to the Myryad Z240 or Cyrus ?

Cheers

The Regas are great just don't have an inbuilt DAC

Dac or not I would still buy the Cyrus one myself

• Thanks 1

At this moment i think im heading in the direction of finding a used Rega Brio (please let me know if there’s one for sale ) I’ve just purchased a Node 2i so that should sort all my streaming worries. 

I’m not 100% convinced on the Cyrus.. but have heard amazing reviews on the little Brio. I wonder how the Brio will power speakers in the likes of 4 ohm Totems i.e Arro’s and hawks?

Jack.

31 minutes ago, Shmacko said:

At this moment i think im heading in the direction of finding a used Rega Brio (please let me know if there’s one for sale ) I’ve just purchased a Node 2i so that should sort all my streaming worries. 

I’m not 100% convinced on the Cyrus.. but have heard amazing reviews on the little Brio. I wonder how the Brio will power speakers in the likes of 4 ohm Totems i.e Arro’s and hawks?

Jack.

They are really nice sounding amps and the phono stage (is you have an MM cart ) is also great, however they are 50WPC rated and only puts out 73 into a 4 ohm load so I wouldn't be using it with 4 ohm rated speakers . Below is a quote from part of a Stereophile review

"It's specified to produce 50Wpc into 8 ohms or 73Wpc into 4 ohms with both channels driven—the manual warns potential headbangers and mosh-pitters that "Continued high-level use into 4 ohms may cause the case to exceed 40°C above the ambient temperature." The Brio may have a class-AB output stage, but this black beauty ran very warm to the touch—almost hot." (end of quote )

So yes, it sounds great for efficient speakers with a benign impedance but I would avoid anything even remotely challenging.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Bunno77 said:

I used to sell Rega Brios. I'd buy Cyrus but many others too. 

Always best to listen for yourself

Yeah true, best to have a listen. I guess anything is better than my current old Pioneer AVR setup with tiny micro Hifi speakers. ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shmacko said:

Yeah true, best to have a listen. I guess anything is better than my current old Pioneer AVR setup with tiny micro Hifi speakers. ?

Haha yep anything 2 channel is better than the common avr brands

• Like 1