Just bought Linn LP12

54 minutes ago, Tasebass said:

Correct fitment.....if it's new will require some force...

IMG_0925.thumb.jpg.d935fb2fedd9b5ff03520088aead2c37.jpg

Cheers Tase.

And the force needed to get this bizarro adapter on - and then off - when you want to play a 45rpm LP instead of a 33rpm one ... will ruin the motor bearings.

Andy

Yep, if you like to play some 45s you are better off getting some sort of speed controller to make it happen- Mober, Mose, Lingo, whatever.

I didn’t know I needed to play 45s until I did. ?

• Like 1

I'm probably wrong, but to my dim tired Xmas day eyes, the P clip looks slightly out of whack.

Am I seeing things?

A part from that it all looks good from here.

9 hours ago, Luc said:

I'm probably wrong, but to my dim tired Xmas day eyes, the P clip looks slightly out of whack.

Am I seeing things?

A part from that it all looks good from here.

It probably is. The components are 40 years old. It's a cheap part to  replace, I will order one soon.

Edited by davidSun

8 hours ago, Capone said:

And first impressions?

It's sounding more high end. Bass is taut. There's more detail and the high frequencies are more defined. This has come at the expense of some warmth and the flabby bass is gone. Frankly, if I had a chance to audition the old LP12 with the old circuit board PS and with the Valhala/Hercules PS, I'd probably keep the old PS. Having said that, the power supply is a critical component that's connected to the mains and it's important to bring that part of the turntable to the 21st century.

Edited by davidSun
  • Like 1

On 24/12/2019 at 10:59 PM, andyr said:

And the force needed to get this bizarro adapter on - and then off - when you want to play a 45rpm LP instead of a 33rpm one ... will ruin the motor bearings.

I had one of these 45 adaptors back in the 80's. It came with the correct length belt. Can't remember the length though. Never had to force it on. It fitted on snugly.

Only used it a few times.

I should start on mine soon.

Parts lined up:

Valhalla

New blank Armboard

Hadcock GH228

not sure about the cart yet, could be VdH DDT-II, Ortofon Quintet Bronze, AT OC9-3, V15 type III, MP11, K2 or a sansui.

Had the bearings on the Acos not been stuffed I could have used that, which has a detachable headshell.

Edited by Batty
Spooling mistooks
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Capone said:

What are peoples thoughts on upgrading the baseboards on these things, Especially pre-braced plinths?

I am not considering any upgrades to the sub chassis, top plate and the bearing. My view is the money is better spent on  a new Lp12. 

Edited by davidSun

Whilst I do agree that leaving well enough alone is a reasonable approach, as the OP suggests, If you have a very old base board, they are pretty horrible, and it is hard to imagine they contribute positively to the sound. Lots of people used to go without any baseboard, though it is worth noting that the basic and Valhalla (and hercules) power supplies will give you a nasty (and potentially fatal) buzz if you or anyone’s little fingers touch them. Nonetheless, I did this for some time, but have more recently had a trampolin2, which appear to provide a bit more structure and rigidity to the whole plinth, and just looks better with the placement of the feet (to my eyes). There are any number of acrylic, metal and wood aftermarket equivalents, and I am sure you could make one yourself. If you are handy, and your plinth is not braced, doing this is pretty easy too, and makes the plinth much more solid. Aside from any sound benefits, I would think that these set up your old plinth for another 40 years of service.

Justin

• Like 1