FS: relist - Sonique 5.5 SE Speakers (Perth)

Item:  SONIQUE 5.5SE speakers
Price: $700
Item Condition: Excellent
Reason for selling: I am trying out bookshelves and Sub
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info:

I am moving to bookshelves so I'm having another go at moving these on.

I have used these speakers for two and a half years and they remain in excellent condition.

Floor spikes with original plus upgraded Binding post connectors are included.

Manufacturers description below followed by previous owner - SNA member Mirvapet's modification description and wonderful photos :

The Sonique 5.5SE is a Special Edition loudspeaker that reflects Sonique Audio's commitment to build high performance accurate loudspeakers that represent unprecedented value for money.

The standard Sonique 5.5 is in itself a remarkably successful loudspeaker that was the winner of the 1996/97 "Sound & Image Award" for Loudspeaker of The Year.

For some manufacturers, awards like this means the end to engineering and refinement of a product, but at Sonique our engineers saw a challenge to improve the Sonique 5.5, this has led to this Special Edition.

The resultant Sonique 5.5SE redefines many of the limits for such a product. In fact, the New Sonique 5.5SE has already won accolades from the HI-FI industry, winning the 1998 AVL Best Buy Award. 

Features
SPECIAL WIRING: No compromises was the demand, so Sonique designers incorporated special wiring throughout, to minimise its possible effect, and maximise performance.

CABINET CONSTRUCTION: Our designers went back to the drawing board (CAD System), and the New Sonique 5.5SE cabinet was developed. Additional features include finely finished cabinets with exposed timber fronts. Further refinement includes new flush fitting integrated grilles.

LEAD LINING: The New Sonique 5.5SE is exactly that, a Special Edition. To reproduce music from a loudspeaker the way it is meant to be heard requires an inert cabinet that doesn't contribute sound of its own. To do this, the New Sonique 5.5SE is fabricated from MDF up to 43mm thick, internally braced and Lead Lined to produce a very rigid and inert cabinet.

CABINET DESIGN: Sophisticated designs such as the Sonique 5.5 requires precise internal proportions and volume. The New Sonique 5.5SE has been modified for improved performance by increasing the width and height, but still incorporating a minimised baffle design to avoid unwanted reflected sound. This modified cabinet has also permitted a mineral filled base cavity to be incorporated for further rigidity, stability and improved sonic performance.

CAST SPIKES: The New Sonique 5.5SE is supplied as standard with adjustable cast spikes, and protective bases to locate the speaker exactly without damaging any floor surface. These spikes further isolate the Sonique 5.5SE from the room and environment to further improve performance.

CROSS OVERS: All Sonique loudspeakers incorporate high quality components throughout. The New Sonique 5.5SE is given even more attention, by utilising the best of the components available. Providing exactly matched pairs of loudspeakers to provide precise musical reproduction.

INTERNAL DAMPING: Sonique's uniquely designed Acoustic Pyramid Foam is used exclusively in the Sonique 5.5SE, to stop internal reflections, that ensures this is a truly high performance loudspeaker system.

SPECIFICATIONS
Frequency Response: 46Hz-20kHz
Impedance: 6 Ohms
Sensitivity: 89dB
Rec. Amplifier: 20-250watts
Weight: 24kg each
Dimensions (cm): 97Hx19.2Wx27D  

REVIEWS

http://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_3/sonique-55-se-speakers-8-2000.html

http://maddmogg.com/Sofa/reviews/speakers/Sonique/sonique_5-5.htm

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/73346-sonique-audio/

Description below from original owner:

I have also upgraded the crossovers in these speakers, replacing the standard Solen capacitors with the much better Mundorf MCap capacitors.  The tweeters have been upgraded also to electrically equivalent but sonically much better SEAS Prestige 27TDFC tweeters.  The original Vifa D27TG tweeters are also included.

IMAG0556.jpg

IMAG0557.jpg

IMAG0558.jpg

IMAG0559.jpg

IMAG0561.jpg

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Alanpartridge said:

Item:  SONIQUE 5.5SE speakers
Price: $700
Item Condition: Excellent
Reason for selling: I am trying out bookshelves and Sub
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info:

I am moving to bookshelves so I'm having another go at moving these on.

I have used these speakers for two and a half years and they remain in excellent condition.

Floor spikes with original plus upgraded Binding post connectors are included.

Manufacturers description below followed by previous owner - SNA member Mirvapet's modification description and wonderful photos :

The Sonique 5.5SE is a Special Edition loudspeaker that reflects Sonique Audio's commitment to build high performance accurate loudspeakers that represent unprecedented value for money.

The standard Sonique 5.5 is in itself a remarkably successful loudspeaker that was the winner of the 1996/97 "Sound & Image Award" for Loudspeaker of The Year.

For some manufacturers, awards like this means the end to engineering and refinement of a product, but at Sonique our engineers saw a challenge to improve the Sonique 5.5, this has led to this Special Edition.

The resultant Sonique 5.5SE redefines many of the limits for such a product. In fact, the New Sonique 5.5SE has already won accolades from the HI-FI industry, winning the 1998 AVL Best Buy Award. 

Features
SPECIAL WIRING: No compromises was the demand, so Sonique designers incorporated special wiring throughout, to minimise its possible effect, and maximise performance.

CABINET CONSTRUCTION: Our designers went back to the drawing board (CAD System), and the New Sonique 5.5SE cabinet was developed. Additional features include finely finished cabinets with exposed timber fronts. Further refinement includes new flush fitting integrated grilles.

LEAD LINING: The New Sonique 5.5SE is exactly that, a Special Edition. To reproduce music from a loudspeaker the way it is meant to be heard requires an inert cabinet that doesn't contribute sound of its own. To do this, the New Sonique 5.5SE is fabricated from MDF up to 43mm thick, internally braced and Lead Lined to produce a very rigid and inert cabinet.

CABINET DESIGN: Sophisticated designs such as the Sonique 5.5 requires precise internal proportions and volume. The New Sonique 5.5SE has been modified for improved performance by increasing the width and height, but still incorporating a minimised baffle design to avoid unwanted reflected sound. This modified cabinet has also permitted a mineral filled base cavity to be incorporated for further rigidity, stability and improved sonic performance.

CAST SPIKES: The New Sonique 5.5SE is supplied as standard with adjustable cast spikes, and protective bases to locate the speaker exactly without damaging any floor surface. These spikes further isolate the Sonique 5.5SE from the room and environment to further improve performance.

CROSS OVERS: All Sonique loudspeakers incorporate high quality components throughout. The New Sonique 5.5SE is given even more attention, by utilising the best of the components available. Providing exactly matched pairs of loudspeakers to provide precise musical reproduction.

INTERNAL DAMPING: Sonique's uniquely designed Acoustic Pyramid Foam is used exclusively in the Sonique 5.5SE, to stop internal reflections, that ensures this is a truly high performance loudspeaker system.

SPECIFICATIONS
Frequency Response: 46Hz-20kHz
Impedance: 6 Ohms
Sensitivity: 89dB
Rec. Amplifier: 20-250watts
Weight: 24kg each
Dimensions (cm): 97Hx19.2Wx27D  

REVIEWS

http://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_3/sonique-55-se-speakers-8-2000.html

http://maddmogg.com/Sofa/reviews/speakers/Sonique/sonique_5-5.htm

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/73346-sonique-audio/

Description below from original owner:

I have also upgraded the crossovers in these speakers, replacing the standard Solen capacitors with the much better Mundorf MCap capacitors.  The tweeters have been upgraded also to electrically equivalent but sonically much better SEAS Prestige 27TDFC tweeters.  The original Vifa D27TG tweeters are also included.

IMAG0556.jpg

IMAG0557.jpg

IMAG0558.jpg

IMAG0559.jpg

IMAG0561.jpg

If these are anything like the Whatmough 201 lead lined monitors l heard 20 odd years ago. These will sound absolutely stunning. For the price, these are an absolute bargain. GLWS. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, needlerunner said:

If these are anything like the Whatmough 201 lead lined monitors l heard 20 odd years ago. These will sound absolutely stunning. For the price, these are an absolute bargain. GLWS.

Better then the Whatmoughs IMO.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rhien23 said:

How so?

I reviewed the 201's when Collin bought them up and found them to be cold and hard. Also, found the integration between bass and midrange to be disjointed lacking flow or rhythm . I nearly bought a pair of 5.5's as I found they disapeared fairly easily and their tonal balance was to my liking and not overblown in any particular frequency area.

I didnt particularly like the bass in the 5.5SE but that was IMO, my only criticism of these speakers for the price. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...