$2000 budget AVR choices

@Lukeqc

FWIW i have finally finished a similar journey to yours only i started at a $1K limit that over time with research stretched to $2k. I was on the look out for months for a good used unit as close to current as possible but i was either too slow, wouldn't ship to Perth or just not coming up for sale.

So after going round and round and changing my mind a thousand times (The $2k - $2.5k range has so many similar offerings) i settled on the Marantz SR6014 which i got for $2k. Haven't got it yet as they were sold out but hopefully should be here next week.

Edited by Braddles 63
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Lukeqc said:

I can get a sr5600 for real cheap. Is this worth it as an interim 5.1 system?

no harm ever in something to get by. just dont waste precious money in buying and selling :)

if looking or waiting for run outs ? having waited so long best waiting for CES that is only a month or so away early jan :) thats when new models tend to release... can see what comes and then decide. be a month or so after that will land here. not aware of anything launches but if there are new model releases all models before will get run out :) people also tend to update themselves and makes opportunity to pick up some serious bargains.

• Like 1

On 01/12/2019 at 7:08 PM, betty boop said:

no harm ever in something to get by. just dont waste precious money in buying and selling :)

Do you have any recommendations of a good performer that I’ll be able to pick up for ~$200 second hand? 

Ideally it would have an optical in, and I’ll run audio out of the tv to the amp. Cheap and cheerful but it will get me through to next year. 

Front stage pre outs would be good too, as I’ll drive my fronts through my existing 2ch amp. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have managed to pick up a Yamaha DSP-A1 for cheap and it’s seriously impressive for its age. A very capable amp. I have done a side by side test with my Audiolab 6000a and It’s really good. The Audiolab isn’t the best amp on the market, but I like the sound. I am enjoying the extra headroom the DSP-A1 has too. 

Still on the lookout for a late model Marantz but I have what I need until that comes up. 

I’m using the Audiolab as a pre for music.

I am running optical into the DSP-A1 from the tv for surround sound duties. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 30/11/2019 at 9:55 AM, Braddles 63 said:

@Lukeqc

FWIW i have finally finished a similar journey to yours only i started at a $1K limit that over time with research stretched to $2k. I was on the look out for months for a good used unit as close to current as possible but i was either too slow, wouldn't ship to Perth or just not coming up for sale.

So after going round and round and changing my mind a thousand times (The $2k - $2.5k range has so many similar offerings) i settled on the Marantz SR6014 which i got for $2k. Haven't got it yet as they were sold out but hopefully should be here next week.

How are you finding it? I've heard it runs really hot on top and needs to be out in the open and not in an entertainment unit? (which is where mine would be)

Keep an eye out on eBay. I just got an open box sr7013 for just over $2k. Seemed too good to be true but I rolled the dice and It worked out. 

Edited by Lukeqc

10 hours ago, hopefullguy said:

what size "entertainment unit" are you thinking of placing the avr in?

The 'slot' its going into is about 17.2cm high, 50cm wide and 50cm deep. Its a tight fit so it will fit in it, but worried about heat.

On 08/01/2020 at 7:32 AM, Avinit said:

How are you finding it? I've heard it runs really hot on top and needs to be out in the open and not in an entertainment unit? (which is where mine would be)

Liking it so far. Only complaint so far is the port hole display is good for nothing unless you want to get up every time you want it to see what setting its on.

Yes runs hot. I have a separate amp running the mains but made no difference to the temp it runs at. 

I have mine on top of the unit and after feeling how hot it runs can would enclose it without lots of room to spare and plenty of ventilation. 

24 minutes ago, Braddles 63 said:

Liking it so far. Only complaint so far is the port hole display is good for nothing unless you want to get up every time you want it to see what setting its on.

Yes runs hot. I have a separate amp running the mains but made no difference to the temp it runs at. 

I have mine on top of the unit and after feeling how hot it runs can would enclose it without lots of room to spare and plenty of ventilation. 

Maybe stick a small round fresnel lens on the port :) It's recessed enough inside that the lens will further magnify the display. 

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32234292310.html?pid=808_0000_0131&spm=a2g0n.search-amp.list.32234292310&aff_trace_key=&aff_platform=msite&m_page_id=2245wrCfshWzUWUUG8L0EsUAQiCD4RumsedACvSVARSDQvs-UTCRqFwe3XoC3R5iE_VP1578990058285&browser_id=3adad7d06dc54ed8b08c2c2843071ef1&is_c=Y

On 14/01/2020 at 5:42 PM, hopefullguy said:

hmm in a word... crazy. unless you add fans for cooling and heat extraction but you have too little space.

you need to decide is a $2000 avr more important than a entertainment unit... modify it.

This is true. Might just chuck it on top for now.

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/02/2020 at 4:29 PM, blakey72 said:

For $1299 this is a very good performer. I got one at this price and I'm really happy with it. I'm very fussy too. Loads of power and even decent at 2 channel. Sorry, just saying again.

Hey - silly question - The SR5013 supports HDR the new mode SR5014 supports HDR10 - Do you reckon with a firmware upgrade to the 5013 it will support HDR10?  Is this possible?  Does it matter? .. I am in the process of collecting 4K & Atmos - hence why I am reading this thread.

54 minutes ago, NoS9 said:

Hey - silly question - The SR5013 supports HDR the new mode SR5014 supports HDR10 - Do you reckon with a firmware upgrade to the 5013 it will support HDR10?  Is this possible?  Does it matter? .. I am in the process of collecting 4K & Atmos - hence why I am reading this thread.

https://marantz-uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4725/~/hdr-format-compatibility

Note no mention of SR 5013 as it supported HDR10 out of the box when new.

https://www.us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=AVReceivers&SubCatId=0&ProductId=SR5013

Look under HDMI in the Specification section in above link.

https://www.zkelectronics.com/compare/marantz-sr5014/usa/marantz-sr5013/usa/

Edited by bizzibee

3 hours ago, NoS9 said:

Thanks....So - that's a yes then?

Yes it supported it when the SR-5013 was originally released (out of the box) without the need of a firmware update.

The previous SR-5010, SR-5011 & SR-5012 models supported it when a firmware update as was released on 30/01/2017 as detailed here:

https://marantz-uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4725/~/hdr-format-compatibility

• 1 month later...

On 13/01/2020 at 11:45 PM, Lukeqc said:

Keep an eye out on eBay. I just got an open box sr7013 for just over $2k. Seemed too good to be true but I rolled the dice and It worked out. 

Hi Steve 

Did you like it so far? Please post your opinion. I am looking for an AVR too and would like to hear your thoughts.

On 08/04/2020 at 11:42 AM, H.E. Pennypacker said:

I have a NAD T-758v3 I’d be willing to move for $1200 for anyone looking. They are very low in power though, but great as a processor, you just need to add power amps.

You should put your NAD T-758v3  as a For Sale item in the Classifieds - Home Theatre / Visual here:

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/forum/261-classifieds-home-theatre-visual/

I'm sure you will get a buyer. Your pricing is consistant with other NAD T-758v3 offered for sale. See:

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/04/2020 at 11:42 AM, H.E. Pennypacker said:

I have a NAD T-758v3 I’d be willing to move for $1200 for anyone looking. They are very low in power though, but great as a processor, you just need to add power amps.

I’ve sent you a PM