Linn Sondek LP12 Valhalla question

Hi guys, just a question about the Valhalla power supply on my deck. I read that the Valhalla outputs 50Hz irrespective of the input frequency, so that in the USA, there is no need to change the motor/pulley to the 60Hz version and Vice versa, just the voltage input. What I read was that the Valhalla was designed as a multi-market power supply so that they did not need to change the motors or pulleys. I'm a bit dubious about this, but I'm no Linn guru, so if there are any Valhalla experts out there, it would be great to know the answer. Thanks!

Guest jakeyb77
4 minutes ago, Luc said:

Easiest solution is to get rid of the Valhalla altogether. It's dated tech and there are heaps of after market options from silly money to sensible money available. @andyr and @Tasebass  may be able to advise or @evil c or @jakeyb77

All Mober on mine mate so not much good here 

7 minutes ago, jakeyb77 said:

All Mober on mine mate so not much good here 

That's exactly what I'm saying. I reckon the OP could be looking at getting rid of the Valhalla and moving to a Moses like Evil or a Mober like us.

@Peter_F  knows a fair bit about Valhalla's and if he can't help then he might be able to wake up Gordon and get him to comment or @Telecine

Edited by Luc
  • Like 1

Hi guys, thanks for the input, but, nah, not interested in expensive power supplies and playing the “Linn ring around the roses”. For that sort of money I’d rather get a nice Ascension sub, tube preamp or even another tube amp. The Valhalla works perfectly well as I’ve recently recapped it and speed is dead on accurate anyway, so it’s doing its job well enough. I was just interested in how the Valhalla handles other voltages. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, oztayls said:

Hi guys, thanks for the input, but, nah, not interested in expensive power supplies and playing the “Linn ring around the roses”. For that sort of money I’d rather get a nice Ascension sub, tube preamp or even another tube amp. The Valhalla works perfectly well as I’ve recently recapped it and speed is dead on accurate anyway, so it’s doing its job well enough. I was just interested in how the Valhalla handles other voltages. 

IIRC, oz ... the Valhalla only gives you 33.3333333 rpm.  If you're not interested in getting yourself to 45rpm - methinks you must not value "the vinyl experience" that much?

The Hercules / Mose is the cheapest way of getting 45rpm and - as it's basically the Valhalla circuit but extended to 45rpm - will be on the same (sonic) level as your Valhalla.  Obviously, Linn's DC 'Radikal' kit is a significant step up in SQ - but it's a helluva price.  But Tase will recommend it.  :)

Edmund Chan's 'Mober', by all accounts, is also an improvement in SQ over the Mose/Hercules.

Me, I've gone to the 'Number9' ... because I'm not a fan of DC motors and their controllers.  It is a significant step up from the Lingo 3 I used to have on my LP12.

But if you want to stay at 33rpm ... I recommend you spend your upgrade money on 2 things - for a good increase in SQ:

1. Edmund's 'composite' inner platter, and
  2. the 'Tranquility' mag-lev bearing collar.

BTW, I'm assuming you already have the Cirkus bearing?

Andy

Thanks, yes, not interested in playing 45s on my Linn. I have a PE 2020 that can stack em 10 high and it automatically adjusts the VTA for the stack, much more suitable for that than the Linn. The early 80s Linn is really a 3rd tt in the media room, so competes with a tv and plays through a solid state amp, hence not used as much as my main system. It’s a nice enough turntable but am not really wanting to lash out cash on it. 

I’m just wondering about the frequency of the Valhalla output of it’s used at 110v in the USA? I read that it still puts out 50hz?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gnnett said:

Here you go mate, I think you will find your answer here:

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/linn-lp12-motor-unit-50-or-60hz.154595/

I really enjoy listening to 33rpm records, but maybe I should just listen to an AM radio. Instead.?

Cheers

Grant

Thanks Grant, that confirms what I read somewhere else, that the Valhalla is really useful as a “universal” power supply for 24 pole motors. So no madness of swapping pulleys as the output is 50hz, even from a 60 hz supply! That’s pretty cool.

Thanks, yes, not interested in playing 45s on my Linn. I have a PE 2020 that can stack em 10 high and it automatically adjusts the VTA for the stack, much more suitable for that than the Linn.

I think Andy was meaning more 12” 45rpm vinyl, with increased dynamic range (as well as 7”)
FWIW, the Hercules board on its own (inboard) is on a par SQ wise with the Valhalla, albeit with 45rpm. With the Mose outboard case it’s a worthy upgrade in SQ IMO.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter-C said:

I think Andy was meaning more 12” 45rpm vinyl, with increased dynamic range (as well as 7”)
FWIW, the Hercules board on its own (inboard) is on a par SQ wise with the Valhalla, albeit with 45rpm. With the Mose outboard case it’s a worthy upgrade in SQ IMO.

Alas, the OP is not interested, Peter.  He's not into vinyl like you and I are.  :(

Andy

3 hours ago, andyr said:

Alas, the OP is not interested, Peter.  He's not into vinyl like you and I are.  :(

Andy

Hi guys, not 45s so much. But I have sold off all my digital and SS equipment in favour of 1/2 speed mastered records played  on vac tube equipment. Of late, I’ve become somewhat of a Yaqin convert, but that’s another story!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oztayls said:

Hi guys, not 45s so much. But I have sold off all my digital and SS equipment in favour of 1/2 speed mastered records played  on vac tube equipment. Of late, I’ve become somewhat of a Yaqin convert, but that’s another story!

Then, oz, you will be interested in 1/2 speed mastered LPs that are 45 rpm - not just 33 rpm!  :)

I've just spent $400 on the 4 soon-to-be-released Dire Straits 45 rpm albums that MoFi are releasing ... plus their 1st album which MoFi has already released on 45 rpm!  :thumb:  Plus another $114 on 2 other 45rpm albums.

Andy

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, andyr said:

Then, oz, you will be interested in 1/2 speed mastered LPs that are 45 rpm - not just 33 rpm!  :)

I've just spent $400 on the 4 soon-to-be-released Dire Straits 45 rpm albums that MoFi are releasing ... plus their 1st album which MoFi has already released on 45 rpm!  :thumb:  Plus another $114 on 2 other 45rpm albums.

Andy

Sounds good Andy, I'll have to check them out. Sigh, so much audio, so little time....

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/11/2019 at 3:56 PM, Warren Jones said:

When you re-capped the Valhalla did you notice R2 & R3 they get hot and burn/discolour the PCB. Replace them with 15K wire wound and stand them off the PCB. Also R1 which is 47R can be replaced with an SG240 thermistor.

Here is the Linn Valhalla repair manual

Valhalla Repair Manual.pdf 80.64 kB · 6 downloads

My Valhalla isn't scorched like many are. But yes, in due course I'll mount it into a case where it can live outside of the tt, as it should have been in the first case. It's a good power supply that does the job, but suffers from the way it was implemented by Linn.

13 minutes ago, oztayls said:

yes, in due course I'll mount it into a case where it can live outside of the tt, as it should have been in the first case.

Agreed.  :thumb:

It's a good power supply that does the job

But it only delivers 33 1/3rd rpm - so you are missing out on all the 45 rpm riches.  :(

If you want to stay with Valhalla technology - and your current motor - why not simply buy a Mose/Hercules?  :)  It's just the Valhalla circuit - but extended to include 45 rpm.

Andy

Edited by andyr

Just now, andyr said:

Agreed.  :thumb:

But it only delivers 33 1/3rd rpm - so you are missing out on all the 45 rpm riches.  :(

If you want to stay with Valhalla technology - and your current motor - why not simply buy a Mose/Hercules?  :)  It's simply the Valhalla circuit - but extended to include 45 rpm.

Andy

I have other turntables that do 45, so I'm not really missing out on 45s. :)

Where is the best place to buy half speed mastered?

Bruce

3 hours ago, oztayls said:

I have other turntables that do 45, so I'm not really missing out on 45s. :)

Aah, OK, Bruce.  :thumb:

3 hours ago, oztayls said:

Where is the best place to buy half speed mastered?

Bruce

You know you can get 45s that aren't 1/2-speed mastered?  :)

I've just spent $600 with the guy in Cheltenham, "Audiophile Reference Recordings ", on 7x half-speed mastered LPs.  But generally, I buy them from Acoustic Sounds or other places in the US.

Andy

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, andyr said:

Aah, OK, Bruce.  :thumb:

You know you can get 45s that aren't 1/2-speed mastered?  :)

I've just spent $600 with the guy in Cheltenham, "Audiophile Reference Recordings ", on 7x half-speed mastered LPs.  But generally, I buy them from Acoustic Sounds or other places in the US.

Andy

Thanks Andy. There is an audio shop near me that does sell specialty records, with quite a few half speed mastered editions. They are pricey, of course. Lots on on Discogs, but I kind of don't trust sellers there any more after I bought some LPs that were listed as Mint, but were far from it.