I got lucky today! Denon DN-780R dual cassette deck

norman

I got lucky and scored well today - I saw an ad for a Denon DN-780R dual cassette deck on Gumtree and managed to gram it for just $50.

Usually I miss out, or the seller never gets back to me ... like a couple of months ago when I was first in line for a Rotel streamer, an Atoll amp, and a set of spoeakers for $350 - the seller said caome around aftrer work, so I called him on the way and the told me he had sold them already, typical.

It is in 95%+ perfect physical condition, and as its from the 2000's all of the drive belts are good - both cassette wells fast forward and rewind perfectly, and play nicely.

Playback is just brilliant. I have a stack of old recordings from the 1980s when I played in a couple of seminal Perth post-punk originals bands, and I want my 17 YO daughter to hear them.

I have a nice Tascam unit sitting waiting for belts as it has done for the past 3 years, I can't seem to get lucky for belts for this one, so the Denon might just do me. It even has rack wings (as does the Tascam).

Can one still buy blank cassette tapes?

Does anyone have any experience of these types of deck?

Next thing I know I will be looking for an 8 track for the car ?

Cheers, Norm

Edited by norman
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, norman said:

I got lucky and scored well today - I saw an ad for a Denon DN-780R dual cassette deck on Gumtree and managed to gram it for just $50.

Usually I miss out, or the seller never gets back to me ... like a couple of months ago when I was first in line for a Rotel streamer, an Atoll amp, and a set of speakers for $350 - the seller said come around aftrer work, so I called him on the way and the told me he had sold them already, typical.

It is in 95%+ perfect physical condition, and as its from the 2000's all of the drive belts are good - both cassette wells fast forward and rewind perfectly, and play nicely. The web says these were $750 in 2003.

Playback is just brilliant. I have a stack of old recordings from the 1980s when I played in a couple of seminal Perth post-punk originals bands, and I want my 17 YO daughter to hear them.

I have a nice Tascam unit sitting waiting for belts as it has done for the past 3 years, I can't seem to get lucky for belts for this one, so the Denon might just do me. It even has rack wings (as does the Tascam).

Can one still buy blank cassette tapes?

Does anyone have any experience of these types of deck?

Next thing I know I will be looking for an 8 track for the car ?

Cheers, Norm

MODS - Don't know how this happened, please delete oh great Gort!

Edited by norman
MODS - PLEASE DELETE DUPLICATE POSTING

• 1 month later...
DUPESHOP.COM.AU

Welcome to dupeshop.com.au! This is an Australian company related to www.duplication.ca, a worldwide leader in audio cassette blanks and duplication services. ...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Norm,

Great find. Denon are sometimes underrated decks. I have the single deck version of your Denon, DN 790r which I still use even though I have a Nakamichi.

What type of tapes you are looking for? I have a few different stacks which you are still sealed.

Cheers

Al