Sign in to follow this  
Alpine Electrocats

Felt pens kill scratches

I was at a record fair earlier this year in beautiful Newcastle and chatting with a local stall holder and the topic of scratched records came up

“I use felt pens” he said

Fast forward to last night playing Bowie’s Young Americans and it starts bouncing. I dig out a permanent marker and give it a try, first looking for scratches then feeling for bumps- and it worked! Will try something softer than a sharpie

5 minutes ago, Alpine Electrocats said:

I was at a record fair earlier this year in beautiful Newcastle and chatting with a local stall holder and the topic of scratched records came up

Fast forward to last night playing Bowie’s Young Americans and it starts bouncing. I dig out a permanent marker and give it a try, first looking for scratches then feeling for bumps- and it worked! Will try something softer than a sharpie

Ummm ... you were "feeling for bumps " on the record surface, AE???  I hope you had your white cotton gloves on.  :lol:

Andy

45 minutes ago, Alpine Electrocats said:

Scratches normally look lighter than the rest of the record and I have known of unscrupulous dealers / stallholders who disguise scratches by going over them with a black felt tip pen.

I was not aware that some people believe it is a way of repairing scratches. Is this what you think the stall holder was suggesting?

Guest Muon N'

I can't see how it would repair, at best the ink may fill a very light scratch but that won't last even if it does.

And how does this marker fluid react with the vinyl component chemically, it could be at worst maybe damaging over time?

From the description "bouncing" I would suggest the scratch was actually a blob of stuff that the solvent in the pen removed.

I was wondering all of those things yes the maker does show up
I did it in the direction of the groove rather than the scratch, I hadn’t thought of disguising the scratch
I could definitely feel with the nib when I hit a bump
It beats me how it works though

Guest Muon N'
1 hour ago, aussievintage said:

From the description "bouncing" I would suggest the scratch was actually a blob of stuff that the solvent in the pen removed.

Logical possibility if indeed not a scratch.

I'm assuming the bump is felt with the pen at the beginning of the scratch.

At the best the pen ink could give a bit of extra lubrication which might help, but this is a very generous guess.  There are some people who feel spraying wd40 on vinyl and Mr.Sheen on 78's improves the sound (maybe, but at what cost to the vinyl/shellac/stylus? - imagine me shuddering at the thought).

As scratches are a physical deformation, I don't think that a pen would make any difference.  I can understand how physically addressing the deformation bu removing the burrs would help (eg. fine sandpaper or reshaping the scratch deformation under a microscope). 

What about the use of Isocol rubbing alcohol on a Qtip? Someone I know used it to remove gunk from a Stones album with some success, but I queried the long term effects...

If the scratch has a "burr" (raised part) then something lightly abrasive can "sand it down".    I'd expect that's what the pen is doing.    I'd be very surprised if ink was "filling the scratch".

On 31/10/2019 at 11:06 AM, Alpine Electrocats said:

I was wondering all of those things yes the maker does show up
I did it in the direction of the groove rather than the scratch, I hadn’t thought of disguising the scratch
I could definitely feel with the nib when I hit a bump
It beats me how it works though

I would suggest it lubricates.

18 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

If the scratch has a "burr" (raised part) then something lightly abrasive can "sand it down".    I'd expect that's what the pen is doing.    I'd be very surprised if ink was "filling the scratch".

Just thinking again...........................vinyl is a petroleum product and felt pens are usually xylene based which would probably slightly melt the 'scar' before evaporation.....................?

Why not just use the felt pen and paint it on your stylus.    That is what you are effectively doing by colouring in the vinyl.

Brain dead idea designed to fcuuk up your stylus.

There is reason why people spend 1000'$ and time cleaning records.   

If 2nd hand sellers are doing that to records, stay well away.

Edited by metal beat

Place filthy vinyl on RCM. Spray/squeeze cleaning solution on,. Have a nice 20mm paintbrush with half the brush cut off like a hipsters beard and then place it on the revolving record and move it forwrds and backwards to left the crud and scum and dead cockies ect ect.

Rinse.

Place it on the RCM again and spray/squeeze your solution on it and use the various brushes avaible for this procedure, you've already taken off the lump of shite that makes your cart jump and buck, now it's time to really clean the thing.

Turn the vacuum on and complete the process.

Your felt pen? Use it to tick this album as cleaned and ready to play. That's the only time you'd use a felt Texta pen anywhere near your precious records. Seriously...