Sign in to follow this  
BuzzzFuzzz

Single LP release Vs Double LP release???

G'day folks.

While hunting vinyl on-line I have found many albums are available as either a single or double LP.  I'm currently looking at Opeth's 'Sorceress'.

The single's are usually cheaper (obviously), but I'm wondering if there is any difference in sound quality between an album on one LP, and one spread out over two.

Off hand it would seem logical that with more space the groove should have more room to breathe.  My comparison is drawn with the sound of a 12" single.

I can tend to be a lazy bugger sometimes, and getting up to change the record more often can sometimes be a chore, especially if under the influence of the 'erb and I'm floating in the recliner.

What are your thoughts and experience here?  I don't have two versions of the same album to compare for myself.

If the sound quality is improved by pressing the album on two discs rather than one, I would always buy a two disc version.  If they are the same in audio quality I would always prefer a single disc. 

Cheers.

Ant.

Edit - Possibly you guys may be able to shed some light  @Janjuc  @candyflip  @metal beat ???

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz

There should be an improvement in sound quality, when less music is put on a side of a record.

This is what is recommended by Recording studios.

SIZE SPEED OPTIMUM TIME MAXIMUM TIME*
12" 45 rpm 12 minutes 15 minutes
12" 33 rpm 17 minutes

22 minute

"If you exceed the maximum time suggested for a record side, it can affect the quality of the audio. This is because distortion and high frequency loss become an issue as you near the center of the record. The longer the record, the more program is packed into the inner dimensions of the record. Also, longer running times will result in a quieter record, which will make the noise floor of the vinyl more apparent."       

http://www.rainborecords.com/mastering.htm

This is why "Golden Hour" LP's ,with 30 minutes per side sound so quiet and flat and 7'' EP's playing at 45rpm  sound terrible. 

I am writing this while listening to Still by Richard Thompson, it is spread over three records and plays at 45 rpm and it sound fantastic but if a record you have in mind is not too base heavy or loud and comes in under 20 minutes per side, it may not be a big difference in sound quality to one spread over 2 LP's.

And as Richard Thompson's "Still" only has two or three tracks per side ,yes it is a pain having to turn the LP over every 12 minutes or so.

Edited by EV Cali

Hi Ant

Generally I would go the 2LP set - lots of the time these days you get 3 sides + an etching.

sometimes the 2LP is a remaster of a previously available 1lp set.  In theory the 2lp should sound better - however the mastering drives a lot of the sound quality  -  check Discogs for feedback on various pressings - not absolute but gives you an idea.

re the Opeth album - It's only available as a 2LP, so no choice needs to be made 🙂

10 minutes ago, metal beat said:

re the Opeth album - It's only available as a 2LP, so no choice needs to be made 🙂

Thanks Shane.

The cheapest one I found on ebay was from Rarewaves (who I tend to avoid, I have had two dodgy records from them, but they have refunded fully and I was able to keep the vinyl).  Their listing doesn't indicate 1 or 2 LP's, I assumed being a fair bit cheaper it would be a single.

Cheers Mate.

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz

Hi Ant,

I had a look on discogs and the 12" LP only comes as a double, there is a newer 4 x 10" LP for double the price, also agree with you about Rarewaves and their thin packaging.

Title  
A1.    "Persephone"    1:51
A2.    "Sorceress"    5:49
A3.    "The Wilde Flowers"    6:49
A4.    "Will O the Wisp"    5:07
B1.    "Chrysalis"    7:16
B2.    "Sorceress 2"    3:49
B3.    "The Seventh Sojourn"    5:29
C1.    "Strange Brew" (Åkerfeldt, Fredrik Åkesson)    8:44
C2.    "A Fleeting Glance"    5:06
C3.    "Era"    5:41
C4.    "Persephone (Slight Return)"    0:54

D1    The Ward    3:13
D2    Spring MCMLXXIV    6:11

JJ

Edited by Janjuc

1 hour ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

Thanks Shane.

The cheapest one I found on ebay was from Rarewaves (who I tend to avoid, I have had two dodgy records from them, but they have refunded fully and I was able to keep the vinyl).  Their listing doesn't indicate 1 or 2 LP's, I assumed being a fair bit cheaper it would be a single.

Cheers Mate.

Rarewaves are often the cheapest....either them or importcdsau but you have to be weary of quality and packaging issues with Rarewaves. No problems with refunds though, as you said.

I recently had my first ever 'bad experience' with importcdsau. The copy of Rush's 'Hemispheres' I purchased from them was much cheaper than new as it was sold as 'like new'....but it was warped. Not too much to play effectively but stylus suspension strain is a concern. My theory is that it was a returned new item which they on sold to me. They refused to refund me as the item 'was sold as used'. I explained to them that this situation is no different to receiving a badly graded second hand LP for which I would be entitled to a refund. They shut me down so I contacted ebay for a resolution. The next day I received a full refund.....

The copy of Talking Heads "Speaking In Tongues" I recently bought as 'like new' from them was, I suspect, another onsold returned item, as the label on both sides was way off centre but luckily my auto return lifts the tonearm out of harms way before the stylus reaches the label, so all good there......but I will now be very wary of anything they sell as 'like new' in the future, even if they are at bargain basement prices....

Edited by stevoz