FS: Eddie Current: Zana Deux tube headphone amplifer

Item: Eddie Current: Zana Deux #40
Price: $1,900 (price drop )
Item Condition: 8/10
Reason for selling:  kids
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info:

I'll probably regret this... but figure its time for someone else to enjoy this as I'm just not getting to spend any quality time with headphones lately, due to little kids in the house, life, and speakers when i get the chance.

I'm putting up for sale one of the classic single ended class A OTL headphone amplifiers.  For anyone not familiar with these - some quick googling and you'll see that for many people this is an endgame pairing for higher impedance phones such as HD650, HD800(s), Grados or a Focal Utopia.  

It uses two 6C33C-B tubes (one per channel), a 6SL7 input tube and two 6DM4A damper diodes (according to aforementioned google).  Out of the 5, it is only the single input tube that affects the sound - and this offer comes with a huge number courtesy of a previous owner.

it can also be used as a pre-amp (3 inputs and 2 outputs), or just to gently heat a small room if its cold.

I'm the third or fourth owner - this one was imported from the US and comes with:

- zana deux #40 (including external power supply box)

- 110v to 240v transformer

- SR red quantum fuse (not that i believe in fuses, but it came with it and the unit sounds lovely.  The original is also included too, never removed it from the foam box)

- 24 (yes, twenty four) different 6SL7 tubes (the tube worth rolling).  

- 2 spare diodes

- 1 spare power tube.

Additional info:  this is one of the original ZD.  If you buy one of these from Eddie Current today it is sold as a ZDS which has an additional dial that gives a setting better for low impedance headphones.  Focals, HD650, or HD800s want the original high impedance setting, so no difference there.  But this isn't the ideal headphone to run a set of planers

I've stated it as being 8/10 condition.  No problems with the electronics or the sound quality - I gave it to my local tube audio guru Chamilla and its got a clean bill of health.  But for full disclosure:

• there are a few cosmetic scratches on the top plate. 
  • one of the two capacitors has a bit of the black paint come off. 
  • the left power tube socket does have a little bit of play - nothing significant just can wiggle a bit if you want, but no impact to the sound.

Lots of photos attached.

IMG_7191.JPG

IMG_7194.JPG

IMG_7215.JPG

IMG_7193.JPG

IMG_7192.JPG

IMG_7219.JPG

IMG_7213.JPG

IMG_7196.JPG

IMG_7218.JPG

IMG_7195.JPG

IMG_7224.JPG

IMG_7225.JPG

IMG_7197.JPG

Edited by gingerbeer
  • Like 3

@fire2368 yes I did buy it from @Qwertyqaz a few years back who probably got it from yourself.   I’ll let you tell everyone how it sounds :)

@o2so The Topping is a good DAC to use as a source, but that lovely warmness that a tube brings is missing if you also the Topping as the headphone amp - it just sounds flatter (clinical) if I plug the HD800 into it direct.  It is subtle for sure, but I certainly find on longer listens with the tubes i’m finding myself lost in the music, tapping away far more frequently.  

Edited by gingerbeer

@gingerbeer

I'm sure you'll agree with me, but it's super smooth and has luscious tube sound. I wouldn't say its microdetails is its forte but it's absolutely musical and organic. If wasn't on the studio six I would buy it again. 

I'm also in Perth too now haha I'd be tempted to try it again one day...

Edited by fire2368

8 minutes ago, fire2368 said:

@gingerbeer

I'm sure you'll agree with me, but it's super smooth and has luscious tube sound. I wouldn't say its microdetails is its forte but it's absolutely musical and organic. If wasn't on the studio six I would buy it again. 

Hmmm...... Studio Six....  ?

15 hours ago, fire2368 said:

@gingerbeer

Indeed. Head says I don’t use it enough but the heart keeps telling me I’m an idiot for selling.