Sign in to follow this  
April Snow

Distilled Water or Demineralised

Water should be fine for records. Probably the same as I got from them, or close enough.

I stand mine in dishrack for hours afterwards even though I've already vacuum cleaned them. Probably no need to go that far but it's just the way I do it.

1 hour ago, andyr said:

Very cool, AS - I think your pot lid rack - plus scrunched up tissue on the label - will be perfect for air drying.

As to how long ... you should be able to see whether there's any water left on the LP's surface.

Your water says it's "Steam Distilled " - so it should be just fine!  :thumb:

Andy

Thanks Andy - I was pretty happy I found the pot lid holder too as it is taller and the right height for the label to be the buffer between the vinyl and the microfibre cloth I will put there. I just thought the dish rack was a little flimsy and they could blow over in the breeze and I did not like the pressure point on the bottom of the vinyl either (as I always have my windows open being in QLD). Pot Lid holder from Big W if anyone want to know - $5.

OK good about the water - I think $5 for the big bottles is pretty OK - for the amount I will need anyway.

Now to get the Spin Clean - 

I know many use cloths and do it themselves just making up a magic potion, but I am just not game enough - I think the spin clean will be better for me as  newbie as it will apply the right pressure & product etc and be less stressful  even though I have to turn the records manually in the cleaner, it is doing the work. It is a start anyway.  I am assuming you only have to do this once (unless you have something dramatic happen) then once dry put in the Mofi sleeve (yes, I got the Mofi type from Discrepency Records) and then it is just anti static brush before use if you handle them properly? 

Fingers crossed anyway.

1 hour ago, eman said:

Water should be fine for records. Probably the same as I got from them, or close enough.

I stand mine in dishrack for hours afterwards even though I've already vacuum cleaned them. Probably no need to go that far but it's just the way I do it.

Yes I saw vacuum's on Amazon - not sure which would be good to get though - but I would let them air dry for some too I think - as I am paranoid (in case nobody could tell) LOL

I think you're onto something with that rack.

With my standard dishrack I use microfibre cloth to stop the record touching the bars and they still lean over.

1 hour ago, eman said:

I think you're onto something with that rack.

With my standard dishrack I use microfibre cloth to stop the record touching the bars and they still lean over.

I brought the standard dish rack as the same time and came home to test them out - but I didn't like how the records lean back in the dish rack and  the pressure all being on the bottom with no real support in the middle. I thought one breeze and they are going to blow over as records are so much lighter than a dinner plate.

But I could have sourced a better dish rack too I guess - maybe one with deeper slots - but I think this one will be better as the weight is on the label and if I put some non-slip mat on the bottom of the rack, they won't move. 

If you want to find them - they are in the kitchen section at Big W where they sell the dish racks.

I will return the dish rack and exchange for another pot rack - as I will only be able to 4 records at a time otherwise - but I feel better about this arrangement as I think it is more stable and secure.

I have seen that some people put a nail in their closet door and hang the records on that to dry - I was not keen on that idea either as I think a nail could mess up the centre hole - afterall the turn table centre is shaped a certain way to prevent that. 

🙂

Edited by April Snow

1 hour ago, April Snow said:

I have seen that some people put a nail in their closet door and hang the records on that to dry - I was not keen on that idea either as I think a nail could mess up the centre hole - after all the turn table centre is shaped a certain way to prevent that. 

🙂

Yes, I agree, AS - it's a pretty strange way to dry records (in a closet).

But better than those people who nail the LP label to the door, to hold the LP up.  That  is really  stoopid!  :lol:

If in humid Qld, the LPs take a long time to dry, you could always blow hot air past their surfaces, using your hair dryer.  :)  5 minutes should do it, I reckon (on 'low heat')!

I do something similar - I bought the "Dryer Cube" from this place:  www.ultrasonicrecords.com

It's a box with a fan (and a lid) - you rest the spindle with the LPs across the sides of the box and turn on the fan for 10 minutes.  I 'improved' it slightly by placing a ring of ceramic wirewound resistors at the base of the box, to warm the air being blown past the LPs.

Andy

Edited by andyr

1 hour ago, andyr said:

Yes, I agree, AS - it's a pretty strange way to dry records (in a closet).

But better than those people who nail the LP label to the door, to hold the LP up.  That  is really  stoopid!  :lol:

If in humid Qld, the LPs take a long time to dry, you could always blow hot air past their surfaces, using your hair dryer.  :)  5 minutes should do it, I reckon (on 'low heat')!

I do something similar - I bought the "Dryer Cube" from this place:  www.ultrasonicrecords.com

It's a box with a fan (and a lid) - you rest the spindle with the LPs across the sides of the box and turn on the fan for 10 minutes.  I 'improved' it slightly by placing a ring of ceramic wirewound resistors at the base of the box, to warm the air being blown past the LPs.

Andy

Oh wow Andy, you sure that the whole process super seriously - but good to know about a low heat hair dryer, but I am thinking over night on a rack will do it surely. I am on the Gold Coast, we do get humidity but I think they would dry OK. I thought though an ocilating fan may help too to keep the air moving but then wondered if that would increase static. 

I will have to ask some local people from up my way I guess what their experiences have been and for advice. 🙂

Distilled water is available in your supermarket. You’ll find it in the ‘ironing’ section of laundry stuff. The brand is BE Products and should be around $2/litre...

I have been using 5l distilled from autobahn $7.99.   You can find cheaper but usually in 20l containers

my ultrasonic needs approx 6l

supercheap auto and other places often only sell demineralised water.

1 hour ago, Demondes said:

I have been using 5l distilled from autobahn $7.99.   You can find cheaper but usually in 20l containers

Yes I only found demineralised too, but Big W do have the Distilled one still, so hope they keep that in stock 🙂

If anyone has a condenser dryer, they produce distilled water as a by product of the drying process. Run it through a filter and you will have a near endless supply indefinitely.

3 minutes ago, Telecine said:

If anyone has a condenser dryer, they produce distilled water as a by product of the drying process. Run it through a filter and you will have a near endless supply indefinitely.

Wake up, tumby!  :)  This was covered earlier.

But, yes, from the amount of sludge which is now at the bottom of my water container (after about 7 years use), you would certainly need to filter the water.  And I suspect replace the filter frequently.

Too much trouble, IMO.  :(

Andy

39 minutes ago, Telecine said:

Yep. Great minds in synch mate.:)

May I please ask another question? I got the Spin Clean - really helped with the pre-loved albums.

I have a new Album - Madonna Ray of Light - opened it up to play and "static city" - even the felt mat stuck to it so guess I need to clean it and re-sleeve in a Mofi - but my question is - this is a 180g Vinyl - is that too thick for a Spin Clean????????

I don't want to damage it, my gut feeling is that it should not be put in a spin clean?

So maybe just an antistatic spray or a wipe with a distilled water?

Thank you 🙂

PS on a side note - I don't think I like the 180 gram ones - they seem to have more static than normal ones.

To iterate on what some may have said already - EITHER form of this water is fine.

I buy whatever is to hand at the time I'm out and about.

Distilled water in abundance at both Coles and Woolies - about $3.15 for a 5L bottle. Quite a few Bunnings near me sell it too, although most seem to selling the Dimineralised version.

2 hours ago, Hydrology said:

To iterate on what some may have said already - EITHER form of this water is fine.

I buy whatever is to hand at the time I'm out and about.

Distilled water in abundance at both Coles and Woolies - about $3.15 for a 5L bottle. Quite a few Bunnings near me sell it too, although most seem to selling the Dimineralised version.

Thank you, I found that Coles and Woolies only had Demineralised - and Big W had the Distilled but at least I know that Demineralised is OK too, so that helps - much appreciated

On 03/11/2019 at 3:54 PM, Demondes said:

Bought some distilled water on the weekend 20L

autobarn have 10l for 12.99 which is $1.3 per litre not bad

the Kirmuss chews through 6litres each time so the cheaper the better

15 minutes ago, Demondes said:

Bought some distilled water on the weekend 20L

autobarn have 10l for 12.99 which is $1.3 per litre not bad

:thumb:

15 minutes ago, Demondes said:

the Kirmuss chews through 6litres each time so the cheaper the better

And my 10l (extra wide!) tank chews through more!  :lol:

BTW, you can make your tank full of water 'last longer' - IOW, clean more LPs - if you implement a 1 micron filter loop in your us tank.

Andy