Apple Headphones Owners & Discussion Thread

The OG Airpods are the best smartphone accessory of the last 5+ years for me. Helps when they link up to all your devices via a user-friendly ecosystem.

The Pro’s are this years most exciting product for me. Cannot wait to grab them.

FYI, Aussies can have Airpods with depleted batteries replaced within 2 years, thanks to our consumer law.

I did that with mine after 22 months - first called up Apple support who did some testing before they suggested I visit an Apple store, where I was in & out within 20 minutes with a new set of Airpods.

So, for $400, for a much improved product that I’ll be using every day, for much of the day + a free change over, should the batteries degrade within 2 years (which they will), I think it’s worth it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RankStranger said:

tell me more about this. Preferably before the 29th of this month :) 

If they’ve dropped to just over an hour for phone calls & ~3 hours for music, then call up Apple Support & see what they say. The advisor I spoke with suggested I leave the Airpods out of the case overnight & check their charge in the morning. They mentioned if they dropped to a certain level, then I should take them into an Apple store, for further tests. At least this way, you go into a store with an incident number & proof you’ve had another Apple Genius look into the issue.

Hopefully the in-store tests come back with further evidence of severe battery degradation & they’ll swap them with a new pair.

My case wasn’t swapped, which didn’t bother me, as it had no issues. They did test the case though, so I’d imagine they’d swap it too if it was also defective. Good luck!

3 hours ago, Ralfi said:

If they’ve dropped to just over an hour for phone calls & ~3 hours for music, then call up Apple Support & see what they say. The advisor I spoke with suggested I leave the Airpods out of the case overnight & check their charge in the morning. They mentioned if they dropped to a certain level, then I should take them into an Apple store, for further tests. At least this way, you go into a store with an incident number & proof you’ve had another Apple Genius look into the issue.

Hopefully the in-store tests come back with further evidence of severe battery degradation & they’ll swap them with a new pair.

My case wasn’t swapped, which didn’t bother me, as it had no issues. They did test the case though, so I’d imagine they’d swap it too if it was also defective. Good luck!

Awesome. Thanks, I’ll give it a shot

I've bought some and they are excellent. The seal is good with 3 different types of silicone tips. Assume someone will come up with a memory foam tip too at some point.

They are comfortable and secure. Surprisingly so...

Active noise cancelling is very good for an earphone and would be better with memory foam when and if it comes to beare. 

Sound quality is even and balanced. These are NOT for bass heads. Perhaps they don't have the pseudo excitement of some competitors but i enjoy the evenness ad maturity of the sound. If i was to compare the sound to a typical loudspeaker signature i'd think the Sonus Faber sound or Kef Reference type of qualities or dare I say it Bang & Olufsen.  A presentation that isn't in your face or offensive. Timbre and tone is excellent. Bass notes have a strong musicality to them. The lowest notes of a double bass retain the woody quality and the bottom E string on an electric bass has the vibration and musicality to know that it is in fact a bass and not a sequencer. Mids are reserved but communicative and never over powered and the tops are gentle and not at all sibilant. All of this is true to my ears on the type of music i listen to which typically consists of acoustic instrument or electric instruments played by "real" musicians and bands opposed to sequenced and programmed music.

The "tails" aren't as long as normal earpods and don't look as ridiculous. 

Touch has been replaced with a squeeze for control. I think i prefered the touch but my wife likes the squeeze so i guess each to their own.

No volume control on the earpods but "hey Siri - change volume to 70%" works or simply "Hey Siri turn up / down the volume". Sorry if you don't have apple phone - this probably won't work.. BTW did you know that "hey siri"  followed by "OK GOOGLE" activates google assistant !!!

The transparency mode sounds a bit weird but it is effective if a little artificial sounding. I've not checked to see if this works in stereo so you know what direction a sound is coming from which could be useful to know which way traffic is coming from.

Case is a little bigger than previously but still nicely finished and pocket friendly AND it has wireless charging. Battery life will do everything I want it to but not as good as others at a claimed 4.5 hours.

All in all i am thrilled with them. I purchased from officeworks on zip pay and delivery happened in less than 24 hours to a rural town. Amazing service from them.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've had Nuraloops on order since, well I can't remember, June? Anyway, VERY interested to see how they end up. Could be a game changer.

Back on topic.. Have not tried the airpods... But it's good to see Apple getting into that market.

16 minutes ago, Jovan.s1987 said:

I've had Nuraloops on order since, well I can't remember, June? Anyway, VERY interested to see how they end up. Could be a game changer.

Back on topic.. Have not tried the airpods... But it's good to see Apple getting into that market.

Yup, really looking forward to their release. 

I've just gotten mine. They're pretty great. SQ is better than the originals and I like the squeeze controls better than the old tapping version.

Noise cancellation is fine -not as good as full sized ANC cans, but that's to be expected. Transparency mode works very well for me.

Good stuff

• Like 2

Got these yesterday. All tips sizes tested fine, but the small size protruded less so out the side of my ear & sounded great so stuck with those.

I really didn’t want to pack away the OG Airpods after skinning them in Matt black only a week before the Pro’s were announced, but these improve on them in every area & add much needed versatility with the Noise Cancelling, so I’m left with no choice but to retire the OG Airpods. They served me well, but I now welcome the Pro era!

37 minutes ago, orzalimbo said:

How did you skin them? Like a vinyl skin?

Hey. I jumped on a deal on these...at the time, it was ~AU$10 delivered...

WWW.EBAY.COM.AU

✔ MAXIMUM COVERAGE AVAILABLE ON THE MARKET – Our new total line gives you the most AirPod coverage of any skin on the market. Look great while defending your Apple AirPods from...

Lifetime replacements sealed the deal. Actually came with 2 sets too. 

18B236E9-672D-46B3-B048-BA449FACDCAA.thumb.jpeg.45e7dd5c56e937cba4e623ebb12c3941.jpeg

Edited by Ralfi
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Ralfi said:

Hey. I jumped on a deal on these...at the time, it was ~AU$10 delivered...

How were they? I tried an Xtreme guard skin and found the vinyl was too thick, making it hard to get a smooth finish on the tight curves, and also making the fit in the charging case just a bit too snug

23 minutes ago, orzalimbo said:

How were they? I tried an Xtreme guard skin and found the vinyl was too thick, making it hard to get a smooth finish on the tight curves, and also making the fit in the charging case just a bit too snug

So far so good. The two sections did overlap slightly, which had me worried about them peeling away over time, but I’ve worn them frequently over the last 2 weeks (work, gym, out & about) & they’ve remained as good as new.

That lifetime replacement warranty covers you in case they peel away anyway, so I’d recommend them, for the price I paid for sure.

You do need to be patient applying them though, as you may know already from the set you’ve demo’d. These ones would be thinner than the Xtreme Guards I reckon as they slide into the case easily.

Photos...

949610DE-3277-43CA-A0E1-F560001F5528.thumb.jpeg.7bdca03b92cd1103b3a584ee0ad8696c.jpeg1AD67826-0BD6-4F8B-8A3A-4EB8638A3DA7.thumb.jpeg.b962343189de4c4dd8be1d6c96c74104.jpeg7139F5BA-FF6F-4972-AFFD-C7EE18873FBA.thumb.jpeg.ac83afd9417a7edeccbcbd533b6cad48.jpeg05CD89DB-F9ED-4D27-AE23-BB3EBE3E564E.thumb.jpeg.4ce531c4e2d5169b80b6f50114de12a8.jpegA4E58BE4-364C-48D2-A2E9-A5D1A1CA7A15.thumb.jpeg.3344b21d4d9b9f627f6abfa84c6556d0.jpegA4CE997A-6F85-4376-82B7-E1FF7DB255EB.thumb.jpeg.6644dc9e17670526ebf601e3f9699de9.jpeg0BC17103-2D96-41D2-8740-29957DD05883.thumb.jpeg.e6c6ef1e0f8e362bfe28bf247e6827ce.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Loving the AirPods Pro.  For convenience and usability (I use it on two Macs, my iPad and iPhone), they work really well.  In noisy spaces, I've had complaints about people being able to hear me on calls.  Noise cancelling isn't as good as the BOSE QC25 headphones I am coming from (and do NOT have a patch on the NC 700s) - too much low end leaks through.  Still decent sound quality, though.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thought I’d update with photos of the matt black skins for the AirPods Pro...

They’re ok, but they don’t cover as much of the white sections as the OG AirPods skins do...

I also don’t like how the top edges of the two bulb sections don’t line up, but after chats with APSkins (very helpful on Messenger), they say they were able to line them by stretching the skins. I’ll need to try again.

You can see I messed up the right skin around the button, but you get a 2nd  set incase this happens (I actually got 4 complimentary pairs as I offered to trial this design for them).

Despite those complaints, I’ll keep them on as they’re better than the stock white imo.

20A29331-3FC2-4C8B-A4A5-F6A5566FB26E.thumb.jpeg.1e8976397f0263ffb785bc9d58fce675.jpegDD992871-8DA1-4299-8B98-0E1C5A8DA447.thumb.jpeg.c3d03e2645367fd0cf35fe8610a3dbff.jpeg76ACA5C3-812F-4374-BFED-DEF380E588E4.thumb.jpeg.48bd2d4a63a158f68af1d01e5ad1faca.jpegE0A73BB8-A297-4DD5-BCC5-F543FF8ACED3.thumb.jpeg.5781a21a99cc3289a651df5cf9003dde.jpeg59630A75-7896-4A1B-AA9A-DF0708C78F72.thumb.jpeg.f4e3c83ec09fe9d116b91cc58bf00e6e.jpegFC6E7387-ADAF-4442-8EFF-91C59906C266.thumb.jpeg.fe02f75ab17b8d479edef13f7ebc1caa.jpeg700B1995-961E-42F4-B2E5-C0AC9D5F530A.thumb.jpeg.ff03dff7a532aefdbbf40bd6c6657e6d.jpeg4EEBCEDD-B8F6-4C67-96E0-5A03614AC762.thumb.jpeg.cd75e2d7fe5b7216073af01edc9de9f2.jpeg1B8FCBDE-FB45-4A22-B684-03C17D10023D.thumb.jpeg.702a682a4609510f53e5c8e1782e2393.jpeg0A157C20-2820-450B-BAD7-972B230F882C.thumb.jpeg.6b678a57141d8ccbd25f34ed88c17d48.jpeg

Edited by Ralfi
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks, having received the airpods pro and used them along side the Airpods2 for the last 2 weeks intensively (hours and hours every weekday). I wouldn't buy them if your main use is conference calls (Teams, Zoom etc). The AirPods2 are superior for this purpose. The ANC makes it very difficult to talk (on any setting) as you cant hear yourself directly. I find the ANC is fatiguing after a couple of hours. The Airpods, you dont know they are there and they work as good in terms of mic/earphone.

I have tried outside with windnoise or lots of background noise. I have a fairly quiet space to work.

I dont play any music really, just use the for voice conferencing.

Hope this helps some one else.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 02/11/2019 at 6:15 PM, Ralfi said:

Wow I didn't know about that! That's great to hear! I love my airpod Pros 

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have any recommendations for 3rd party ear tips for the Airpod Pro's? My left ear does not seem to agree with any of the stock ones. I've had my eyes on the Dekoni Audio Bulletz on sale at Addicted to Audio, but being expensive have me worried that they might not fit properly either.

2 hours ago, Tomekkpl1 said:

Does anyone have any recommendations for 3rd party ear tips for the Airpod Pro's? My left ear does not seem to agree with any of the stock ones. I've had my eyes on the Dekoni Audio Bulletz on sale at Addicted to Audio, but being expensive have me worried that they might not fit properly either.

If you think $35 is expensive in this hobby, you might want to find a new one. Buy them, and if they don’t fit, move on.