Sign in to follow this  
MarkE

Sony’s TV Acoustic Surface Technology

I purchased a Sony KD55 A1 4K OLED TV last year and I have been very impressed not only with the quality of the picture (with a LG panel) using Sony picture processing but also the sound.  Sony has been very innovative developing their new Acoustic Surface technology using the TV’s screen also as a speaker to produce sound.  The innovation allows the sound to come from the source on the screen where the noise is produced giving it a strong directionality.  The sound is also clear and balanced but does lack some bass.  The latest Sony models including the A9G 4K HDR OLED TV appear to be continuing to develop this sound technology. My question is the new Acoustic Surface technology getting towards a sound pleasure quality that most of us do not need the surround sound gear to enjoy the total TV experience?  Will this new Sony technology survive? I welcome your views.

Just another silly marketing feature to sell TVs

I think the technology works well. Watching normal FTA I don’t turn on my home theatre system.

However it has a long way to go before replacing surround sound setup.

The big advantage with the technology is that for average viewers you don’t need a sound bar.

Sony has first mover advantage in this new technology and with normal development pathways commonly move to significant improvements to compete with existing mature driver technology built into the TVs. I agree with Whites and I don't believe it is designed to replace surround sound gear, which is at an extra cost anyway.