betty boop

Ultrasonic RCM - affordable non DIY

folks, considering an ultrasonic record cleaner... of the more affordable variety... I am not planning to spend on one costing the same as a turntable.

And with more than my own share of home projects going on and plenty on the to do list no interest to be dong anything DIY in this regard.

So what are folks experience with Affordable ultrasonic record cleaning machines of the non DIY variety ...

theres this nobsound one on amazon - any thoughts or experience ? 

nobsound on amazon

dont want to get one and find a waste of cash ? last thing world needs is more land fill :D

any good experiences with anything out there (non DIY - please and affordable)

Seriously, Owens kit and recommended usc and motor take about 3 minutes to put together.  It's hardly diy.

Just now, acg said:

Seriously, Owens kit and recommended usc and motor take about 3 minutes to put together.  It's hardly diy.

hi acg, i have no idea who owen is or what the DIY kit is, but really just looking for some off the shelf thing, if takes a slight amount of assembly i dont mind.

I just dont want to be dreaming up or tinkering around with some heath robinson affair with multiple visits to bunnings with with multiple iterations and experimenting on the go....enough other stuff dragging my attention doing just that :D 

if there is something can point to. that is not DIY, ie instead off the shelf. dont mind if takes a few minutes to put together (ikea style) am fine with that. and pointing me to such thing might actually be helping :) 

1 hour ago, acg said:

1 hour ago, betty boop said:

hi acg, i have no idea who owen is or what the DIY kit is, but really just looking for some off the shelf thing, if takes a slight amount of assembly i dont mind.

I just dont want to be dreaming up or tinkering around with some heath robinson affair with multiple visits to bunnings with with multiple iterations and experimenting on the go....enough other stuff dragging my attention doing just that :D 

if there is something can point to. that is not DIY, ie instead off the shelf. dont mind if takes a few minutes to put together (ikea style) am fine with that. and pointing me to such thing might actually be helping :) 

I think ACG is referring to Owen's topic where he details his "DIY ultrasonic cleaner", based on a cheap ultrasonic bath and hardware material from Bunnings to make a DIY record mount and revolver for it:

Edited by audiofeline

9 minutes ago, Stump said:

These were at the HIFI Show couple of years back!

KirmussAudio Model KA-RC-1

https://kirmussaudio.com/ka-rc-1-ultrasonic-record-restoration-system/

hey stump thanks for the heads up, was there ever a local agent or sold locally ? 230V versions ? 

1 hour ago, srms said:

Maybe one of these Record Holder and then a US cleaner from ebay in AUS ?

thanks srms, thats looks interesting, what are the "us cleaner" from ebay ? 

28 minutes ago, betty boop said:

hey stump thanks for the heads up, was there ever a local agent or sold locally ? 230V versions ? 

Doesn’t Sonic Purity sell these???

6 hours ago, audiofeline said:

I think ACG is referring to Owen's topic where he details his "DIY ultrasonic cleaner", based on a cheap ultrasonic bath and hardware material from Bunnings to make a DIY record mount and revolver for it:

@betty boop Hi

Owens thread and kit are worth checking out. His kit is not DIY but is based around mine that is. It involves no hardware sourced from trips to Bunning's 

You do have to source the Bath https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DIGITAL-STAINLESS-ULTRASONIC-CLEANER-ULTRA-SONIC-BATH-CLEANING-TANK-TIMER-AU/173240414757?var=471952170261

And the rotisserie motor https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BBQ-Rotisserie-Spit-Motor-240V-w-autoreverse-Suits-8mm-square-shaft-Rated-to-1/153345934118?epid=24007966734&hash=item23b4214326:g:EzAAAOSwQGVdRAgT

But you then have a cleaner for about $360 with just some minor self assembly.

IMG_1426.JPG

IMG_1421.JPG

Edited by EV Cali

Beat me to it @EVCali

Then, if you want to take it to the next level, which is something that none of the off-the-shelf usc's do, set up a filtering system to clean the water in between washes.  This involves a trip to a plumbing store to get the filter, filter case, plumbing fittings, 1/2" food grade tubing which is all screwed together in about half an hour.  Order a little aquarium pump from eBay and you are done.  Total additional cost is perhaps $250.  No time now, but I'll post a picture perhaps tomorrow.

3 hours ago, EV Cali said:

@betty boop Hi

Owens thread and kit are worth checking out. His kit is not DIY but is based around mine that is. It involves no hardware sourced from trips to Bunning's 

You do have to source the Bath https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DIGITAL-STAINLESS-ULTRASONIC-CLEANER-ULTRA-SONIC-BATH-CLEANING-TANK-TIMER-AU/173240414757?var=471952170261

And the rotisserie motor https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BBQ-Rotisserie-Spit-Motor-240V-w-autoreverse-Suits-8mm-square-shaft-Rated-to-1/153345934118?epid=24007966734&hash=item23b4214326:g:EzAAAOSwQGVdRAgT

But you then have a cleaner for about $360 with just some minor self assembly.

IMG_1426.JPG

IMG_1421.JPG

ev cali I appreciate the enthusiasm, the links got to ebay with tank and a bbq rotisserie but then you show a photo above with some red discs and bits and bobs ? are they procured from some place else ? 

3 hours ago, acg said:

Beat me to it @EVCali

Then, if you want to take it to the next level, which is something that none of the off-the-shelf usc's do, set up a filtering system to clean the water in between washes.  This involves a trip to a plumbing store to get the filter, filter case, plumbing fittings, 1/2" food grade tubing which is all screwed together in about half an hour.  Order a little aquarium pump from eBay and you are done.  Total additional cost is perhaps $250.  No time now, but I'll post a picture perhaps tomorrow.

picture details are welcome otherwise falls in category of visits  multiple visits to xyz, dreaming up something and experimenting on the go... which as mentioned have enough otherwise in projects going on, dont need another :D

3 minutes ago, betty boop said:

ev cali I appreciate the enthusiasm, the links got to ebay with tank and a bbq rotisserie but then you show a photo above with some red discs and bits and bobs ? are they procured from some place else ? 

picture details are welcome otherwise falls in category of visits  multiple visits to xyz, dreaming up something and experimenting on the go... which as mentioned have enough otherwise in projects going on, dont need another :D

Those orange discs and "bits and bobs" are Owen's kit. So, you buy Owen's kit from Owen, the ultrasonic bath and rotisserie off of Ebay and then put it together (literally a 10 minute job). Click on the link below if you want to read all about it.

11 hours ago, audiofeline said:

...I think ACG is referring to Owen's topic where he details his "DIY ultrasonic cleaner", based on a cheap ultrasonic bath and hardware material from Bunnings to make a DIY record mount and revolver for it:...

4 hours ago, EV Cali said:

...Owens thread and kit are worth checking out. His kit is not DIY but is based around mine that is. It involves no hardware sourced from trips to Bunning's ...

Apologies for my error, and thanks for clarifying EV. 

11 hours ago, Hydrology said:

Doesn’t Sonic Purity sell these???

Just seen they have them for $1999. Im sure they were $1600 at the Show.

Something like this Al?

947BB722-2A61-4E99-9898-23B0C070FBA6.jpeg

7D9CD967-88F6-4C42-8BA5-8883E3487968.jpeg

Edited by BATMAQN

Amari RW600

11 hours ago, Stump said:

Just seen they have them for $1999. Im sure they were $1600 at the Show.

considering they sell in the US at $700 😮 i am left speechless ! :S

8 hours ago, BATMAQN said:

Something like this Al?

looks good @BATMAQN what is it ? :)

17 minutes ago, betty boop said:

looks good @BATMAQN what is it ? :)

Standard US bath from eBay and the rotisserie I got off @Maggie when he had a few for sale.

It works a treat about $600 all up and you're good to go.

Oh Wow - this is all way over my head - I think I would have to go and buy myself a lab coat !!

Edited by April Snow

8 minutes ago, April Snow said:

Oh Wow - this is all way over my head - I think I would have to go and buy myself a lab coat !!

Ha ! No fear ! I’m trying to achieve something sans lab coat. Worn one of those enough in uni days and prof life :D

1 minute ago, betty boop said:

Ha ! No fear ! I’m trying to achieve something sans lab coat. Worn one of those enough in uni days and prof life :D

I was up for another shopping experience !! hahahaha

Seriously though, as much as I would love a USC I think a Spin Clean might be all I can manage - as a newbie...........

🙂

32 minutes ago, April Snow said:

I was up for another shopping experience !! hahahaha

Seriously though, as much as I would love a USC I think a Spin Clean might be all I can manage - as a newbie...........

🙂

Ha ! Tell me about it !!! I even caught myself looking at a spin clean :D but I think I want something ultra sonic :)

29 minutes ago, betty boop said:

Ha ! Tell me about it !!! I even caught myself looking at a spin clean :D but I think I want something ultra sonic :)

Me tooooooooooo but no idea where to start to find one ....................

I hate wasting money on products only to upgrade quickly - I prefer to get it pretty much right from the get go if I can.

:-):-):-)