Technics SL10 Servicing and Repair in Qld

Hi

does anyone know of anyone who can service/ repair the Technics SL 10 in the Brisbane/ Sunsine Coast/Gold Coast

area

I have just just bought a mint condition example and the unit seems to play ok but there is no sound. It also seems to occasionally auto return in the middle of play.

it has all the original leads etc so not sure if it these or something electronic inside the unit. It could do with a service anyway.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

cheers

Cameron

• 1 month later...

Hi 

just an update to this thread - Brian Maddern at Decibel Hi Fi sorted my SL 10 and now enjoying it.

Really great sound - way above Rega 3 level and not embarrassed by my Linn LP 12 (I will do a comparison one day)  and so easy to use.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cammyboy0_0 said:

Really great sound - way above Rega 3 level and not embarrassed by my Linn LP 12 (I will do a comparison one day)  and so easy to use.

Seriously you rate a SL10 above a Rega 3 and not far behind a LP12?

What phono stage are you using if you don’t mind me asking and is it the same one for all three TT’s?

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO

Hi Terry,

I don't own a Rega 3 but have done a direct comparison (some time ago) with Rega 3 and the Revolver / Linn LVX I owned at the time in my own system over a couple of weeks  and I preferred the Revolver(although I think the best combination would have been the Revolver with the Rega arm). My original Linn LP 12 was a late 70's model with an Origin Live RB250 arm and was a clear step above both and that was a red button model. The gap increased significantly as  other power supply and sub chassis improvements were undertaken. The Linn I currently have is new built from Linn Cirkus, plinth, new motor, with Isokinetik power supply, Vinyl Passion subchassis and top plate, acrylic base, Tiger Paw Tranquility and Origin Live Conqueror Mk2 arm. This sounds really good; the point I was making is that the sound of the Technics is right up there. It is currently being played through a Project Maia DS amp in a bedroom system whilst my main system is stripped down. The Linn jumps with the wooden floor boards in the house so is in its box. When I get the main system set back up again I will do a back to back and report back. The phono stage in my main system is an Icon Audio PS1 Signature valve set up. As you rightly identity this will readily show up the differences.

Brian Maddern who serviced and repaired the Technics rates it to the extent that he is now looking to buy one.

cheers

Cameron

Edited by Cammyboy0_0

Well done,  the sl10 is a great turntable.

I alternate between a technics 310mc and ortofon omp30 mm cartridge on mine.

I prefer it to any belt drive I've owned including my overpriced and over rated lp12 , ekos 2 lingo2 arkivb pos.

20 minutes ago, MarkT said:

Well done,  the sl10 is a great turntable.

I alternate between a technics 310mc and ortofon omp30 mm cartridge on mine.

I prefer it to any belt drive I've owned including my overpriced and over rated lp12 , ekos 2 lingo2 arkivb pos.

Hi Mark

thanks or your feedback - it is a great sounding turntable - I am fortunate to have also have the original 310MC with mine, which was confirmed as in good condition (what a relief) - how do you find the Ortofon compares?

I will get the 310 re tipped when the time comes, but would buy another cartridge to use - hence the question.

cheers

Cameron

• Like 1

The technics mc is better for sure but the ortofon omp30 is no slouch,  it's equivalent to the 2m bronze , and it gets the most use .

My 310 has unknown hours and of course is 30 plus yrs old but still sounds superb , will also get around to getting it retipped one day.

• Like 1

I ran a 310MC with my SL7 when I had one - such a great combo.  I also had the original Technics P22 with boron cantilever - another great catridge but not at the level of the 310MC. I would definately consider a rebuild if you are planning to stick with a P mount deck. 

I would believe that the SL10 / 310MC combo would give a Rega P3 a serious run - great front end.