rangie

Integrated tube amp to replace Bryston BP26/4Bsst2 ?

On 28/10/2019 at 11:04 PM, rangie said:

I thought about that too, but I am not too keen to go though the whole preamp/amp synergy matching process again... that can get costly very quickly LOL  That's why I want to keep it simple this time.

I'm with Irek on this one. Very simple to research Valve pre with Bryston power amp via Audiogon discussion forums.

I would personally hunt down a pre from Supratek Cortese, not unlike Ittaku's or a Conrad Johnson or even one of the better pre's from Weston Acoustics.

No disrespect to Consonance, but each of the above are on another level. You've a good power amp, so I'm suggesting waiting for a high quality pre comes up on SNA or go to WTB section, otherwise a Musical Fidelity Nu vista is a good alternative.

cheers Frank.

@evil c uses a Conrad Johnson something or other with his Bryston 4b3, and with excellent results.

On 27/10/2019 at 5:43 PM, rangie said:

I also want a more simple system so a tube integrated amp seems to be a good direction (Is it really?)

No.

It's very unlikely that you'll get as good a result from a tube amp as you will from the Bryston driving those Dynaudios.  I would add valves in the front end (DAC or Pre Amp) and keep the power amp and speakers.

If you do decide to sell the power amp, hit me up :D

Edited by DJGopal

Depending on where you live @rangie I could bring two very good valve pre round for you to try. Neither are for sale FYI

Hi everybody, I really appreciate the responses and balanced opinions. You guys have lots of good points and suggestions for me to digest.

I am pretty certain I have decided on a small integrated amp setup. As my new listening room is also a music/piano/reading room which I want it to be the family hub, so stacks of separate components/racks/cables etc won't be suitable anymore.

In fact, aesthetically and perhaps sonically, I think my Dynaudio floorstander might be a bit too big for the room, because the Contour 1.8 Mkii needs space and higher volume to shine. I have a feeling that bookshelves speakers might be more suitable, especially given my preference of music is more toward vocals now. I will appreciate some recommendations in that regards (perhaps another thread).

Anyway, the Bryston pre-amp and amps (or even the Bryston BCD-1) will have to go......

9 hours ago, Gryffles said:

Depending on where you live @rangie I could bring two very good valve pre round for you to try. Neither are for sale FYI

Hi Gryffles, that is so generous of you! Appreciate your offer but I won't go separates this time. Cheers.

Btw, I think the Octave would be a good match with your speakers.

28 minutes ago, rangie said:

Hi everybody, I really appreciate the responses and balanced opinions. You guys have lots of good points and suggestions for me to digest.

I am pretty certain I have decided on a small integrated amp setup. As my new listening room is also a music/piano/reading room which I want it to be the family hub, so stacks of separate components/racks/cables etc won't be suitable anymore.

In fact, aesthetically and perhaps sonically, I think my Dynaudio floorstander might be a bit too big for the room, because the Contour 1.8 Mkii needs space and higher volume to shine. I have a feeling that bookshelves speakers might be more suitable, especially given my preference of music is more toward vocals now. I will appreciate some recommendations in that regards (perhaps another thread).

Anyway, the Bryston pre-amp and amps (or even the Bryston BCD-1) will have to go......

It sounds like your requirements are firming up :) 

There are / will be a multitude of options available to you. I'd look at Osborn speakers and still an Opera Consonance integrated which would have great synergy. I have them and it works very well in a smallish room which sounds like what you have settled on. (not to say it doesn't also go loud! :) ) . Talk to Greg who can advise.

Still, many options for you within your budget :thumb:

1 hour ago, rangie said:

Dynaudio floorstander might be a bit too big for the room,

What size is the room then?

On 27/10/2019 at 7:04 PM, Ittaku said:

The contour 1.8 are a little less efficient, but also a solid 4 ohm, and the cyber consonance 880i would be magic with them. With your "under 10k" budget, you could afford separates if you wanted, going the 800mkII monoblocks and a nice preamp to suit.

https://www.osbornloudspeakers.com.au/cyber-800-ii

At that price range, you could afford a sweet sounding supratek chardonay or cortese (if you need phono) preamp to go with it.

http://www.supratek.com.au/

I’ve been out of hifi for quite a while but that Supratek gear you quoted looks the same as the old Micrex amps the Sonique boys produced. Do you know if they are related?

3 hours ago, Ratbob said:

I’ve been out of hifi for quite a while but that Supratek gear you quoted looks the same as the old Micrex amps the Sonique boys produced. Do you know if they are related?

Micrex is the old name Mick used before changing to Supratek.

Edited by Ittaku

3 hours ago, Ratbob said:

Supratek gear you quoted looks the same as the old Micrex amps

Micrex was Mick’s very early start up line of gear which set the look at the time and was onsold to another larger company. Supratek is an different design and higher performance level I understand..

Edited by Al.M

You are Sydney so I would suggest trying the Audio Note Oto or Soro if you need more power (https://www.audionote.com.au/).  I know my next move will be in that direction and Bryan is a lovely guy to deal with..... more engineer than sales person.  The added benefit is that he can help you tube roll if you want to tweak the sound here and there and he can fix/upgrade your equipment in the future.

On 27/10/2019 at 10:34 PM, Irek said:

Because you already have a very good power amp and pre. Maybe tube preamp can give you what you are looking for. 

For what its  worth, I'm running a  Bryston 4Bst power amp with a Schiit Freya pre and am very happy with the result. Sourcevis a Cambridge CXN and speakers are Sonor Audio Capella's which do require a bit of grunt 

Interesting thread. I am now the owner of those fine speakers. I’ve gone along this path for amplification over the past few months:

Simaudio Moon 240i -> Sansui AU717 -> Luxman C-03/Sansui AU717 -> Bryston B20/ Sansui AU717.

I am using the power amp stage of the Sansui. Happy with result.

Check out the Line Magnetic just listed in the classifieds. Huge reputation, although you would probably need to change speakers as well.

I noticed Consonance amps were suggested but then rejected by others on the basis that these aren't expensive enough to replace the Bryston.

But you could look at it another way.

Euro price for the 880 power amp is €4500=$7250aud

Cyber 800 MK 2 are €6000=$10000aud. And Osborn supplies each of those with nearly a grands worth of KT150's for $3650 and $4200 respectively. The 880i is also $4200 and Stereoplay, Germany tested it as outputting 110w on the 4ohm tap. 

If I was Rangie, I'd hang on to the Bryston preamp and get the 880 power amp, all 35kg of it. Or buy the integrated but don't sell the Bryston preamp until you've tested it out with the 880i as a power amp.

Then of course, Line Magnetic Australia will probably be bringing in the LM150ia, also a KT150 100w integrated that can be used with a seperate preamp. No doubt many of you have seen this multi amp LM review-

https://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/review/analog-reviews/amplifier-reviews/line-magnetic-part1/

PM @caminperth about the LM gear.

Of course the caveat to all my suggestions is demo wherever possible.

4 hours ago, deanB said:

I noticed Consonance amps were suggested but then rejected by others on the basis that these aren't expensive enough to replace the Bryston.

Cyber 800 MK 2 are €6000=$10000aud. And Osborn supplies each of those with nearly a grands worth of KT150's for $3650 and $4200 respectively. The 880i is also $4200 and Stereoplay, Germany tested it as outputting 110w on the 4ohm tap. 

If I was Rangie, I'd hang on to the Bryston preamp and get the 880 power amp, all 35kg of it. Or buy the integrated but don't sell the Bryston preamp until you've tested it out with the 880i as a power amp.

Then of course, Line Magnetic Australia will probably be bringing in the LM150ia, also a KT150 100w integrated that can be used with a seperate preamp. No doubt many of you have seen this multi amp LM review-

https://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/review/analog-reviews/amplifier-reviews/line-magnetic-part1/

Yep, the LM150ia is on the cards for Australia. 

14 hours ago, deanB said:

9 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Yep, the LM150ia is on the cards for Australia. 

Hi guys - yup. The LM150iA will be available. Check out the product page here for info. You can also shoot me a PM or our forum account @Line Magnetic Australia to discuss further. 👍

Lenehan Audio speakers work rather well with tube amps if you're looking to downsize. Start with speakers and work backwards from there. 

Personally I've found a quality tube DAC can have a positive impact on near any system.....

I sold that range of Dynaudios and I've gotta tell you, there aren't many amps out there that will drive them anywhere near as well as the Bryston you've already got.  If I already had all that gear, I'd be adding tubes in the very front end, probably in the form of a D/A converter to feed your streaming device into.  Those speakers and amps are both very, very capable of sweet female vocals, but they are also capable of true scale and fast bass. 

You can get that sweetness you're after without re-inventing the wheel as it were.