Sign in to follow this  
Honreekea

Suitable Interconnect for SME arm and Thorens Turntable

Brains trust:

Looking for a suitable RCA cables for my suspended Thorens TD160 Super and SME 3009 series III arm, where the interconnect won't't interfere with the "bounce" of the table. 

Budget:  Can't pay stupid prices. (Would love 2nd hand)

thanks

You will need to get "phono" RCA cables, as regular RCA cables generally have too much capacitance.  And phono cables can be relatively expensive.  They might come up on the SNA classifieds, and certainly the auction site has many.

It also depends on what's under your SME arm... 

- Many tonearms have a standard socket for plugging in phono cables, and use a RCA to Phono Socket cable.  It's often called a "mini-DIN" due to the appearance, but actually isn't a mini-DIN socket. 

- However, some tonearms don't use a plug, and the RCA cables are soldered to the tonearm's wires, usually via a tagstrip.  This would use a RCA to bare wire phono cable.

- Some turntables take the tonearm's wires and solder them to RCA sockets mounted on the rear of the plinth, so a RCA-RCA phono cable is used. 

A photo of under your arm could help with responses. 

Edited by audiofeline

10 hours ago, Honreekea said:

Looking for a suitable RCA cables for my suspended Thorens TD160 Super and SME 3009 series III arm, where the interconnect won't interfere with the "bounce" of the table. 

If your 3009 is the same as @djb's 3012 ... the connector is not a standard arm DIN plug but instead is a weird "4-wires-in-a-row "  SME-only plug (which has 2x thick pins and 2x thin pins, to force correct orientation).

If you don't have a cable for your SME3009, surely SME sells them?  But if you do have this cable - and think the SME-supplied cable is too heavy for your Thorens - then one option is to buy a Linn / Thorens arm cable and get a tech to replace the DIN plug with your SME plug.

Alternatively, I might be able to help you.  If you can supply the plug and the instructions (from SME) as to which pin belongs to which cart wire ... then I could fit this plug to a cable that I had made up for my LP12 (so the arm end is light) ... but no longer use.  But you would need to tell me how long the cable needs to be - in case mine is not long enough.

Andy

The old SME cables are indeed heavy, and both my original ones are looking a bit tarnished perished.      They do use the 4 pins in a line connector as standard, but you can buy conversion kits on eBay that replace the one on the tonearm with a plate that has standard RCA sockets.   Soldering required though.

Even though my main table isn't sprung, I still replaced the cable on the SME 3009 that I have installed in it anyway.  I opted to just permanently wire it, and soldered the cables behind the old connector (from memory you can just use it as a tag strip).   You'll want to source some nice light flexible cable for your suspended Thorens though.  I am sure there will be recommendations forthcoming.     I just used thin standard shielded cable from Jaycar IIRC.  Doesn't measure too badly, and for short runs with MM carts , it's quite good enough IMO.

You will need to get "phono" RCA cables, as regular RCA cables generally have too much capacitance.  And phono cables can be relatively expensive. 

Yep, that's why I posted....I want recommendations for phono cables.

a pic of under the hood....RCA all the way baby!

Screen Shot 2019-10-28 at 5.40.54 PM.png

Alternatively, I might be able to help you.  If you can supply the plug and the instructions (from SME) as to which pin belongs to which cart wire ... then I could fit this plug to a cable that I had made up for my LP12 (so the arm end is light) ... but no longer use.  But you would need to tell me how long the cable needs to be - in case mine is not long enough.

Thanks for the offer.....It RCA all the way, as far as I can tell.  When I googlled  i was hoping to find some sort of  Litz cable arrangement, ie won't interfere with bounce and low capacitance

22 hours ago, aussievintage said:

I am sure there will be recommendations forthcoming.

here's hoping ;)

Doesn't measure too badly, and for short runs with MM carts , it's quite good enough IMO.

I have a MC mounted on this SME

46 minutes ago, Honreekea said:

Thanks for the offer.....It RCA all the way, as far as I can tell.  When I googlled  i was hoping to find some sort of  Litz cable arrangement, ie won't interfere with bounce and low capacitance

1 hour ago, Honreekea said:

a pic of under the hood....RCA all the way baby!

Screen Shot 2019-10-28 at 5.40.54 PM.png

Aah - if you had posted this first ... we would all've understood your setup.  :)  How long does the cable need to be?

And, btw - 'litz' is certainly feasible ... but the litz wires have to be inside a braided shield ... which adds some stiffness.  :(

Andy

Edited by andyr

I have been pondering this, and whichever cable you select, I would constrain it near the turntable end (zip tie it to a weight that sits beside the turntable, or something else fixed), and bend it into a loose loop before attaching to the SME arm RCA plugs.  This way there is little weight pulling on the suspended tonearm and maximum flexibility of movement.

You could go as far as attach (solder to the back of the SME arm RCA plugs) a short, super light set of wires, just twisted litz might be OK if noise pickup isn't a big problem, and terminate them at a pair of RCA plugs on the fixed part of the turntable.  Then the thickness of the interconnect would not matter.

Guest Muon N'

Geoff at Aurealis Audio could likely make you up some nice Litz cables suitable.

Only issue is he uses very high quality Litz, and good connectors.

I'm not sure what stupid money entails, as it seems what defines 'stupid money' is different for each person.

The R3i AgL  and R3i CuL are the high quality Litz, UPOCC  Silver or Copper.

https://www.aurealisaudio.com.au/rca-interconnects/

Edit: he also seems to have a hybrid using copper and silver Litz.

https://www.aurealisaudio.com.au/r3i-shielded-interconnects/

Be very hard pressed (if at all) to find this high level of quality for anywhere near what these are listed at.

Edited by Muon N'

22 hours ago, andyr said:

Aah - if you had posted this first ... we would all've understood your setup.  :)  How long does the cable need to be?

metre or less

I would constrain it near the turntable end (zip tie it to a weight that sits beside the turntable, or something else fixed), and bend it into a loose loop before attaching to the SME arm RCA plugs.  This way there is little weight pulling on the suspended tonearm and maximum flexibility of movement.

Planning on doing that with a cable which is thin enough.

You could go as far as attach (solder to the back of the SME arm RCA plugs) a short, super light set of wires, just twisted litz might be OK if noise pickup isn't a big problem, and terminate them at a pair of RCA plugs on the fixed part of the turntable.  Then the thickness of the interconnect would not matter.

Nah....not me...won't do that, but thanks for the suggestion

22 hours ago, Muon N' said:

Geoff at Aurealis Audio could likely make you up some nice Litz cables suitable.

Only issue is he uses very high quality Litz, and good connectors.

I'm not sure what stupid money entails, as it seems what defines 'stupid money' is different for each person.

The R3i AgL  and R3i CuL are the high quality Litz, UPOCC  Silver or Copper.

https://www.aurealisaudio.com.au/rca-interconnects/

Edit: he also seems to have a hybrid using copper and silver Litz.

https://www.aurealisaudio.com.au/r3i-shielded-interconnects/

Be very hard pressed (if at all) to find this high level of quality for anywhere near what these are listed at.

I'll investigate, thanks!