Sign in to follow this  
TheOrb

Help with surround setup

I’m frustratingly unable to achieve surround sound from my setup, and would love some advice. I’m running an optical cable from TV to Marantz 7005, into 7 channel amp. All speakers working on Multi channel, and all work fine with test tones via pre pro. When I engage the various surround programs, Dolby, Neo etc. I get nothing from surround channels, but centre works (as well as front). Why would this be? 

It was just what was at hand when I originally set it up. Is it limited compared with hdmi? 

Using Marantz 7005 into Sunfire 7ch amp. 2 subs, both working. What exactly do you mean by placement?

placement generally means where have you placed your speakers etc in the room your wanting the sound in....... Yes HDMI will carry much more sound & video info than optical being later technology etc.

35 minutes ago, agelessgoodguy said:

placement generally means where have you placed your speakers etc in the room your wanting the sound in....... Yes HDMI will carry much more sound & video info than optical being later technology etc.

Thanks; yeah, I know what placement is, just didn’t see what that would have to do with my problem. I’ll try an hdmi cable, but I was under the impression that optical would carry multi channel audio.

Presume you're trying to get multichannel from FTA TV.

Where the sound is broadcast in stereo (much FTA) you should be able to get some surround sound going with one of the upmix functions on the 7005, but the rears are probably going to have minimal volume, as there's not a whole lot to upmix on many stereo FTA mixes.

Is your TV setup to output multichannel sound when available? Many default to stereo. Cheap TVs may lack any multichannel functionality.

Using optical means any multichannel sound will be compressed - it doesn't have enough bandwidth for uncompressed HD sound.

If your tv cant output a 5.1 bitstream instead of a 2ch pcm downmix Orb ; check to see if it has ARC on one of its hdmi ins if you haven't already ? This will theoretically give you a bitstream back to the Marantz which also has ARC . 

That said there are proprietary versions of ARC out there and its not reliable between brands.. It will get rid of your spdif optical though ..

ARC ;s replacement is E-ARC which should be more reliable as well as handle lossless audio [ if you go hunting for a new display on day ;) ]

Not so much FTA but movies played through a tv box on a usb stick, allegedly 5.1 recordings. Interesting what you say about tv setup to output mc sound. It’s not a cheap tv (sony 4k, couple of years old), but it may have reset to default setup recently, and I seem to remember I did at some stage have all channels going, though the rears were very minimal, as you mentioned. 

Checked TV, setup all looks good re sound output. I realise now I used optical because it only has rca and optical out, despite having 4 hdmi in.

I should be able to run signal from source into receiver and then to tv, right?  Not sure how this is done though; is that what the arc ports are for?

19 minutes ago, cwt said:

This will theoretically give you a bitstream back to the Marantz which also has ARC . 

Yes, I thought that might work, and i have tried that, just struggling to make it work. I’ll keep playing around and see how I go. Cheers

I don't think the 7005 series Marantz have ARC, so suspect that's not an option.

Do you have a blu-ray player? Many will be able to play USB sticks (if the video is in the right format) and give you multichannel sound when connected to the Marantz via HDMI.

Yes it does have arc. I don’t have a blue ray player but I have one of those kodi boxes, which plays many file types via usb. What I don’t understand is, if the signal from the box goes into the Marantz, how does the video component get to the tv? I have tried to set it up this way, but with no luck.

sorry but who knows where the speakers are placed in your room, how many and what style.. so yes placement matters. do they follow recommended dolby layout?

as for watching movies on a usb stick.. sounds like your not too sure about the quality so maybe just rubbish downloaded by friends..  go buy some blu rays. your avr does hdmi so best to use it.

10 minutes ago, TheOrb said:

Yes it does have arc. I don’t have a blue ray player but I have one of those kodi boxes, which plays many file types via usb. What I don’t understand is, if the signal from the box goes into the Marantz, how does the video component get to the tv? I have tried to set it up this way, but with no luck.

Through a HDMI output from the Marantz into one of your TV's HDMI inputs.

9 hours ago, TheOrb said:

Your Marantz can only play back the kodi box; s   audio as that is what  its designed to play with a usb input .

You should find out which hdmi output on your Sony is labelled ARC [ this is called Bravia sync for Sony and is tied in with hdmi cec control which can switch components on automatically ]

Feed this hdmi  in to the Marantz port designated hdmi ARC out . This will allow signals to run both to the tv and back from it  [if everything is compatible ] This should help ;

http://docs.esupport.sony.com/imanual/NA/EN/2a-2/brsync_uc.html

Your best bet with the kodi box since you don't have a bd player to decode your files is attach it directly to a usb on your sony and see if it plays your files [ a good  tv can handle mkv's mp4s avi's etc] . I don't have a kodi box but if its got ethernet hook it up to the sonys network . It is a good idea to attach your sony to your local network ; this will simplify many things including firmware upgrades :)

Looks like a fun setup. 

My recommendation

1. is use the test tone from the 7005 to test there are sounds coming out of your speakers. 

2. if sounds are coming out correctly from all channel then next is to change your connectiosn. My recommendation is Kodi (android box) into the 7005 via HDMI, then HDMI ARC to your TV. 

3. Changed the Audio setting on your Kodi box to Bitstream and Dolby on the 7005. Play a movie and see if sounds are coming out correctly. There should be a dolby or DTS display on the 7005.

4. If you are using Kodi as your media player, then go into the expert setting and change the audio to either bitstream or passthough. 

Good luck

Thanks for that info. I’ve actually tried running Kodi into 
AV and ARC back to TV, but instead of getting the Kodi signal, I get the Marantz GUD.

Looks like there are many areas that cause a hickup.. Generally with these sort of issue I will test out one path at a time and get things working before moving on.

From what you are saying the test tone from the 7005 are able to tell all speakers are connect and sounds are coming correctly = 7005, speaker cables and speakers are working. Use a simple sound meter to check that the level are correct and the same for all channels. 

TV optical to 7005 is also working but not getting surround sounds even in matrix mode. Please check in the TV's audio setting that you are out putting 5.1 channels of sound and not stereo. Many TV programs don't have much sound coming from the surrounds speakers and only the center has a predominant sounds. I once thought that my L R speakers are not working and only the center works, that is normal for many TV program. Ideally HDMI ARC would be better if your equipment supports, maybe remove the optical cable before doing the HDMI Arc.

Android box to 7005 only getting Marantz GUI. Please check that the video output from the adroid box is at 1080i or even at 720p, turn off deep color, lipsynch etc and leave it all at basic until you can get an image then move up. My guess is the android box is outputting 4k and the 7005 does not have 4k support. The next thing I would check is the input setting in the 7005's menu, make sure that the video/audio for that HDMI port eg 1 is on HDMI. That HDMI port might have the video and audio reassigned to one of the analogue or even optical port. Another option is to try another HDMI port, could be faulty given it's age and it is a common fault with many AVR. 

7005 Arc with TV- make sure both units supports it. On the TV turn on HDMI - CEC and audio to external, on the 7005 turn on HDMI Control or equivalent.

If you can provide details of the model numbers that you have, then might able to narrow down to the features of each equipment. 

I would get the basic sound and image going first then move on to the next stage of playing media files with surround sounds. 

Thanks Soundfever, that looks like a good process to go through. It never occurred to me but now that you mention it, it’s not 4k capable, so that could be the culprit.