record weights, do they work or just a gimmick?

Guest Muon N'

They do help mate the record with the mat/platter and that helps the sound reproduction, but you need a TT drive system that can handle the extra weight without strain, if you don't you can be doing more harm than good.

Edited by Muon N'
typo

6 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

They do help mate the record with the mat/platter and that helps the sound reproduction, but you need a TT drive system that can handle the extra weight without strain, if you don't you can be doing more harm than good.

I’ve got a Rega Planar 6

Edited by Brad24

Guest Muon N'
1 minute ago, Brad24 said:

I’ve got a Rega P8

You will need to look at what other Rega owners do and their experience with different weights.

Haven't owned one myself, sorry.

Nice deck.. BTW :)

1 minute ago, Hydrology said:

I would not recommend a record weight for Rega TT. There are brands who do lightweight weights and clamps specially for Rega (Michel for example).

Thanks, do they make a difference?

I don't know the cost of this device, but if not too expensive, why not give it a go anyway.

I know that some TTs use clamps as part of the package, like my Pro-Ject TT and the sound is certainly different without the clamp being used. One sure thing I can say is that my clamp really does help with warped records.

2 minutes ago, rantan said:

I don't know the cost of this device, but if not too expensive, why not give it a go anyway.

I know that some TTs use clamps as part of the package, like my Pro-Ject TT and the sound is certainly different without the clamp being used. One sure thing I can say is that my clamp really does help with warped records.

Cheers Lindsay

1 hour ago, Brad24 said:

Thanks, do they make a difference?

If you use a heavy weight, Brad ... you will increase the force which the bottom end of the bearing has against the base of the bearing.  This is baaad, for many reasons.

(Unless, of course, you have an air-bearing TT!  :lol: )

If you want to 'iron out' warps then, as Hydrology suggested ... get a lightweight clamp.

Andy

Edited by andyr
  • Like 1

I have an HRS ADL platter weight on my PinK Triangle and an ADH on my Thales. They are both fabulous products that reduce the noise floor and help with micro-detail, even on a gun table like the Thales. The ADL works with a suspended turntable and isn't too heavy, it may be fine with a Rega

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

It won't wear out a decent bearing in my lifetime either.

So you'd call a Linn bearing a "not decent" bearing, av?  :lol:

22 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Yes it works.

In what way does it 'work', av?  IE. what do you hear with a heavy weight on - vs., say, a lightweight clamp?

Andy

I like the look and description of these and one would have thought that a company like MoFi  ( probably ) wouldn't bother making it if it was injurious to turntables. Does anybody know the price of these in Australia?

If they are not crazy expensive I might try one on my PL 50.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, andyr said:

So you'd call a Linn bearing a "not decent" bearing, av?  :lol:

Dunno, you're telling the story.

3 hours ago, andyr said:

In what way does it 'work', av?  IE. what do you hear with a heavy weight on - vs., say, a lightweight clamp?

I never said other methods didn't work also.

I have the mofi deck with the mofi weight and it works ell, very easy to hear , the sound just seems more " focused" for want of a better word. 

As others have said, I'd be careful with weight on a Rega t/t and look at a clamp , clearaudio makes a " clever clamp " from memory , light weight and easy to use 

• Like 1

G’day lads.

I’ve often wondered about weights.  My records a very flat (mostly), but I notice a few don’t sit all the way down the spindle when on the platter.  It’s not much, maybe 1mm, but when I push them all the way down, they always pop back up.

It seems logical to me that with these records the stylus is not sitting correctly in the groove, as mentioned it’s not out by much.

I assume a clamp clamps on to the spindle using tension rather than weight.

I have a belt drive TT, (Music Hall MMF 2.2), would a clamp be better for me?

Cheers.

Ant.

All i can see a weight would do is give you a flywheel effect....inertia etc which may or may not work depending on your particular turntable,

where as the clamp would be more beneficial for any turntable due to helping with warped records etc.

43 minutes ago, kab said:

All i can see a weight would do is give you a flywheel effect....inertia etc which may or may not work depending on your particular turntable,

A weight also flattens records and couples them more firmly to the mat/platter, same as a clamp.

Edited by aussievintage

OK.

Just had a browse for clamps on line.  There are soooooo many to choose from.

Any suggestions to help me narrow down the search?

I see some listed as 3 in 1 Record Clamp, Disc Stabilizer for Vibration Balanced (?)

Some have 50 or 60 Hz listed.

Some come with a bubble degree on top.

Does the type of metal used affect performance or just aesthetics?

What weight should I be looking for with a clamp?

Thanks.

Ant.. 

3 hours ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

OK.

Just had a browse for clamps on line.  There are soooooo many to choose from.

Any suggestions to help me narrow down the search?

I see some listed as 3 in 1 Record Clamp, Disc Stabilizer for Vibration Balanced (?)

Some have 50 or 60 Hz listed.

Some come with a bubble degree on top.

Does the type of metal used affect performance or just aesthetics?

What weight should I be looking for with a clamp?

Thanks.

Ant.. 

Michell Engineering (makers of the Gyrodec) make a very effective clamp for both Rega and non-Rega turntables.

Edited by Telecine
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Telecine said:

Michell Engineering (makers of the Gyrodec) make a very effective clamp for both Rega and non-Rega turntables.

Just make sure that it suits your spindle. You need a “Goldilocks” amount above the record level.