Help required to troubleshoot an Accuphase Pre HT Bypass / Ext Pre problem

I am attempting to integrate an Accuphase Pre into my AV config.  I has this same config behaving properly when using an Accuphase Integrated and a Plinuis Pre.  When routing my AV Pre-Out for Front L+rR channels to the Accuphase Pre EXT in I getting not a sound through these channels.  I have successfully run the same Pre-out from the Yamaha AV to the line in on the Accuphase Pre and it works as expected. My fear is the Ext Pre in on the Accuphase pre has a problem or I am missing something in configuring it.

Any suggestions/assistance appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

1 hour ago, Quark said:

I'm not familiar with the foibles of Accuphase products, but a look at their brochures seems to imply that you need to select Ext Pre on the output switch under the front cover.

Yeh, this is how it worked with the integrated I was using.  Thought it would be the same but I get nothing despite the switch clearly indicating (via led and sound from inside the pre) something has altered in the Pre's configuration.

14 minutes ago, AlurkA said:

Yeh, this is how it worked with the integrated I was using.  Thought it would be the same but I get nothing despite the switch clearly indicating (via led and sound from inside the pre) something has altered in the Pre's configuration.

It's not clear to me which input you need to select when using and external pre - is it one of the two around the 3 o'clock / 4 o'clock positions? Not sure I can help beyond that.

33 minutes ago, Quark said:

It's not clear to me which input you need to select when using and external pre - is it one of the two around the 3 o'clock / 4 o'clock positions? Not sure I can help beyond that.

There is a separate switch for ext pre, the bottom right of the image.  It is my understanding that this is the HT Bypass equivalent and the input remains as it is.  At a bit of a loss atm. Almost seems broken...which is very sad given its a new purchase..for me at least (bought off SNA)

image.png.8c63f578f3cba82e12dc8b0d68c28db3.png

I have a Aesthetic calypso preamplifier.

The ht bypass is a configured input, not an output.

The Accuphase ext. Preamp appears to be for using another preamplifier.

When all else fails read the manual. You may have to configure an input to ht bypass duties.

Hope this is not bad news.

18 hours ago, AlurkA said:

When routing my AV Pre-Out for Front L+rR channels to the Accuphase Pre EXT in I getting not a sound through these channels.

Somewhat confused. The Pre EXT is a preamp output for connection to an external power amp

19 hours ago, AlurkA said:

I am attempting to integrate an Accuphase Pre into my AV config.  I has this same config behaving properly when using an Accuphase Integrated and a Plinuis Pre.  When routing my AV Pre-Out for Front L+rR channels to the Accuphase Pre EXT in I getting not a sound through these channels.  I have successfully run the same Pre-out from the Yamaha AV to the line in on the Accuphase Pre and it works as expected. My fear is the Ext Pre in on the Accuphase pre has a problem or I am missing something in configuring it.

Any suggestions/assistance appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

Not sure what model device that you have but the Accuphase models all appear to work the same way, so it probably does not matter.

For the external preamplier function to work correctly requires that you do a number of things:

1. Connect the Pre out connectors for the L+R on your AV Receiver to the Ext Pre input connectors on the Accuphase

2. Set the relay switch under the front flap of the Accuphase to Ext Pre

The Ext Pre function on your Accuphase separates the the preamp and power amp functions.

Just now, Telecine said:

Not sure what model device that you have but the Accuphase models all appear to work the same way, so it probably does not matter.

For the external preamplier function to work correctly requires that you do a number of things:

1. Connect the Pre out connectors for the (Front) L+R on your AV Receiver to the Ext Pre input connectors on the Accuphase

2. Set the relay switch under the front flap of the Accuphase to Ext Pre

The Ext Pre function on your Accuphase separates the the preamp and power amp functions.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BAM said:

I have a Aesthetic calypso preamplifier.

The ht bypass is a configured input, not an output.

The Accuphase ext. Preamp appears to be for using another preamplifier.

When all else fails read the manual. You may have to configure an input to ht bypass duties.

Hope this is not bad news.

36 minutes ago, mbz said:

Somewhat confused. The Pre EXT is a preamp output for connection to an external power amp

Thanks for the replies.  While the wording/naming is very Japanese my previous Accuphase integrated used the same concept and accepted my receiver input using the ext pre input and a similar switch.

From the docs: http://www.accuphase.com/cat/c-2820_e.pdf

image.thumb.png.759286d2280b033530a5285ae4d04658.png

image.png.6288e41a993e237c54c13dbe0863977d.png

Just now, Telecine said:

Thanks @Telecine ,  yeh this is how it was connected and I was getting no sound in the L+R.  Have taken the same output on  receiver and run it into line 3 on the pre and it works.  I fear there is a problem in the Accuphase.

3 minutes ago, AlurkA said:

Thanks @Telecine ,  yeh this is how it was connected and I was getting no sound in the L+R.  Have taken the same output on  receiver and run it into line 3 on the pre and it works.  I fear there is a problem in the Accuphase.

Sounds like it. It might be a faulty or dirty relay on the Ext Pre selector.You could try switching the Ext Pre function on and off multiple times, otherwise a service might be in order.

Edited by Telecine

10 minutes ago, Telecine said:

Sounds like it. It might be a faulty or dirty relay on the Ext Pre selector.You could try switching the Ext Pre function on and off multiple times, otherwise a service might be in order.

?  Bugger, will need to locate somewhere in Melb to take a look, not sure who services Accuphase stuff down here.

Still think you are making a bid deal about nothing. Suspect it's a

translation issue. Also note that the EXT PRE is controlled by the Output Selector, ie, it's an output. In any case, there are two possibilities, 1) it's a

output for connection to an external power amp 2) it's an input for an external preamp, try both, only one can work. Seen too many adds from Japan where they list integrated amp as pre-amplifiers...