Sign in to follow this  
savagemick

Greetings from Middle USA

My first name is Michael but friends know me mostly as Mick. I feel a little out of place asking to join what appears to be mostly An AU site but I found that the US StereoNet US site has no forums discussion feature other than Facebook. I stay away from anything Facebook related so thought I would like to join here for your forums. Hoping that is acceptable.

I am looking to pick up good suggestions on how others get the best sound quality on a low budget. What I have now would by no means be mistaken for high end but I think I get the most out of it. At least I enjoy it.

Thanks for all your future insights and am sure I will enjoy reading how you all enjoy your time spent on this hobby. Thank for letting me in.

Guest Muon N'

Hi, Michael, and welcome.

Losts of cheap tweaks that can help, like isolation of sensitive components, and speakers from the floor and rack shelves....and the rack from the floor.

For instance I have my speaker stands on Bamboo chopping boards and a porous rubber anti-vibration blocks under the bamboo boards that are sold for placement under washing machines, cleans things up nicely especially in the bass and mid bass area.

20 bucks each for the Bamboo boards from IKEA and the rubber blocks 5 bucks for a pack of 8.

Isolation can help with turntables of course, but also spinners and valve components, how much is variable, but it all adds up.

Of course other tweaks particularly if you are a bit hands on and can use a soldering iron.

Have fun here, Michael :)

Edited by Muon N'

8 hours ago, savagemick said:

At least I enjoy it.

Hi Michael,

That says it all. If you don't enjoy it, what's the use?

Welcome to SNA. I hope you get a lot out of the site.

Cheers,

Interface.

G’day Mick.

Welcome aboard mate.

This is a wonderful, friendly, helpful and at most times respectful forum.  (Like any internet forum, some threads can get a little heated - I sometimes read through having a quiet chuckle, thinking ‘Oh dear boys’.)

I don’t engage in any social media except SNA.

In three years membership I haven’t noticed any discrimination towards us low end Hi Fi enthusiasts, or against my preferred music - Metal.

I have gained a wealth of knowledge and assistance from genuine and generous fellow members.

Enjoy the ride and get posting.

Regards.

Ant.

11 hours ago, savagemick said:

I am looking to pick up good suggestions on how others get the best sound quality on a low budget. 

:welcome:

You have one big advantage. What is a low cost where you are is probably mid priced in Australia because of the markups here. 

Hope you enjoy SNA...

welcome Michael, low budget systems give best bang for buck, as previous posts mentioned tweaking to improve the synergy of your system can cost very little, think outside the square ( i put a slate roof tile under my Rega 2 old model with a silicone barrier between for isolation, was reminded that it went against Roy Gandhi's principle of design for this TT, to me it sounds great) can be put back to standard easily. Give anything a go, lots of tweaks will alter the sound, better or worse ?, only your ears can judge your system