Bringing an ex-DJ Technics SL-1200 back to life after a DJ phase of its life

I've just acquired a mechanically and sonically perfect Technics SL-1200 Mk 2 allowing me to bounce my temporary Technics SL-D2 from my cheapie system. It even came with a real Technics headshell, great value given I paid about half of what most seem to be going for these days. Speeds are spot on etc etc, the arm lifter is perfect, the bearing is nice with no slop, and the indicated stylus VF tracking weight is spot-on. I have bought a new perspex cover ( with hinges) with the arm dome (as it had none) - I bought a Reloop 7000/8000 series turntable lid that fits perfectly for under $80 and its great.

The only real cosmetic flaw (aside from a couple of road case-induced minor side scratches) is that the aluminum silver painted top deck surface has some hand yellowing in a couple of areas near the tonearm lift and the speed regulator slide, I assume from a DJ in a past life who smoked maybe (or just had cheesy hands ?) that I have reduced but not yet got rid of entirely. So far I have used lighter fluid, Windex, water, and a fabric stain remover that gets out blood, ink and lipstick and the yellow tint has nearly gone but it would be lovely to get it back to original (without a repaint).

Does anyone have any ideas how to reduce this yellow marking further? What about using  things like Sard Wonder Soap or similar rubbed in lightly? Or a cut down sugar soap solution? Or maybe something else? Ideas gratefully received.

In terms of maintenance, I am going to replace the power lead (it was cut short presumably for use on a mix desk, phono lead (with low capacitance, separate earth cable and nice Rean RCA plugs) and clean its guts while it is torn down, and pull some new Litz wire through the tonearm. Oh, and I may as well put a white LED in the pop-up stylus light (while its open, even though the original incandescent bulb is still working well. I have some rubber O-rings for the tonearm for resonance control. (On my other SL-1210 Mk2 I put some cotton wool into teh arm tube ends to try to reduce resonance, but I don't really think this is needed.

The arm's base height rotating turn control is a little stiff but works well so I'm not going to completely dismantle that , and while it is apart I will pull down and clean and re-lube the motor bearing, and give it a nice spring clean inside. The feet are 100% as far as I can tell.

I have a correct Technics SL-1200 Mk2 rubber platter mat (I've tossed the blue felt Stanton monstrosity) to put on it.

Can anyone let me know if there is anything else to check or do to bring it up to scratch (no pun intended, I have no interest in turntablism, scratching or any other hideous misuse of these lovely old and very capable hi-fi turntables? How hard is it to move the power supply transformer to an outboard enclosure (yes, already I know the last voltage regulator needs to stay in place in the turntable for best behavior)? And it that actually worth doing?

Cheers, Norm

Hi  @norman

I have a pair of 1200 that are cosmetically challenged but have been fully serviced with both arms replaced and some of the circuit boards.

There was staining on mine but coating was worn right through to the metal!!

There is tons of information on Hot rodding SL1200's on the net this link should get you started  https://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/m1200.htm

There are timber frame plans on the KABUSA site and they look quite nice. 

Some people using them as Hi Fi Decks fit other arms.

Thanks for the tip regarding Reloop 7000/8000 series turntable lid, although I use Deck savers on mine.

Good luck with your journey and try not to go too far

How about a photo of yours.

These are mine

1107095949_mixer4.thumb.JPG.ab1af377fcef2c27af0c4d8b1477edfb.JPG

kab base 

12wood.jpg

Edited by EV Cali
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Monkey_Relish said:

You could try using a magic eraser on the stain.

MAGIC ERASER

Mr Relish

Unfortunately ,especially in the area of the Pitch adjuster, mine has had a lot of DJ use, resulting in the coating being totally worn through to the metal.

I do use Magic eraser, dry, to clean my styluses and there is nothing better.

tt.thumb.jpg.15e7974355546e857d9965855cedab50.jpg

Edited by EV Cali

On 25/10/2019 at 7:21 PM, norman said:

The only real cosmetic flaw (aside from a couple of road case-induced minor side scratches) is that the aluminum silver painted top deck surface has some hand yellowing in a couple of areas near the tonearm lift and the speed regulator slide, I assume from a DJ in a past life who smoked maybe (or just had cheesy hands ?)

That "yellowing" or discolouration is from the user resting the side of their hand on the base from queuing the stylus.  It's not necessarily an indication the user is or was a smoker or had as you put it has "cheesy" hands.  The stain is a reaction between the chemicals in the moisture in the skin and the acrylic coating on the plinth of the turntable. 

These pictures are of an original Technics SL1200 that was purchased in the mid 1970s and used exclusively in a non-smoking home by a non-smoker.  Over time the acrylic coating gets discoloured and attempts to remove this discolouration can result in a shininess to the satin finish.  You can clearly see the decades of the effects of wear near the area a right handed person would have rested their hand whilst queuing the stylus and in the area where the speed change ON/OFF switch is.

Cheers,

Alan R.

DSC_0424.jpg

DSC_0425.jpg