Sign in to follow this  
Smarty90

Which speaker should I build?

On 25/10/2019 at 5:32 PM, THOMO said:

It comes with an expensive tweeter but  you can swap that out for a much cheaper Seas or Morel horn loaded tweeter

I've tried this with a different design and it definitely did not work out well.....

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/zilchs-ak-design-collaborative-econowave-speaker.150939/page-849#post-12858999

You may have better results but my learning is it's best to stick with the existing design unless you have the tools to measure and build a new crossover.

3 hours ago, Maz4bz said:

I've tried this with a different design and it definitely did not work out well.....

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/zilchs-ak-design-collaborative-econowave-speaker.150939/page-849#post-12858999

You may have better results but my learning is it's best to stick with the existing design unless you have the tools to measure and build a new crossover.

Yes I would generally agree with that.The Seas  A26 kit however is not your normal two way design  because it has no crossover on the mid/woofer at all .The driver rolls off very well without needing to add anything.So that just leaves adding a very simple first order crossover [a capacitor] of an appropriate value to the tweeter.. Also there are well documented  and measured versions of this design using different tweeters  with suggestions for those capacitor values to suit.

Edited by THOMO

3 minutes ago, THOMO said:

Yes I would generally agree with that.The Seas  A26 kit however is not your normal two way design  because it has no crossover on the mid/woofer at all .The driver rolls off very well without needing to add anything.So that just leaves adding a very simple first order crossover [a capacitor] of an appropriate value to the tweeter.. Also there are well documented  and measured versions of this design using different tweeters  with suggestions for those capacitor values to suit.

Is there something similar but three-way, with a larger woofer?

For $1000 you might just scrape through with a statement ii build.

Look up Jim holtz statements on Google and have a look. They sound amazing and are a very well documented design

On 25/10/2019 at 7:18 PM, Smarty90 said:

Hard question I know.

Ive had the same bookshelf speakers for the last 25 years and they are starting to look a bit fatigued and the cones are starting to come away from the foams.  I know I could redo them, but heck I like making stuff! so why not upgrade!! (they are MS30 Maudant Shorts nothing too fancy but all I could afford all those years ago)

So I started looking around at speakers to build (as I said I like to make things and am pretty handy in the workshop, so why not make a project out of it!)  So came across a few speakers and liked the look of them, liked the Swann DIY 3.1A speaker, but they work out a bit expensive when you factor in postage!  Continued looking around and came across the DWQDT's which look awesome but also a bit pricey once you buy all of the parts.

So I am still looking for something that wont break the bank and will be interesting to build.  Would like to end up with a decent sounding dynamic speaker.

Yes again a hard question, but does anyone have any recommendations on something that will fit the bill?  I think long term I will end up wanting to build a set of the DWQDT's, but for now will need something a bit more economical to build or at least something to listen too in the meantime!

Look forward to hearing what people think!

This might suit your requirements as, "a decent sounding dynamic speaker" ( if we have ability to swap dynamic for accurate perhaps  )  

and they are DIY